Recommitted Joe Daniher 2019 [requested a trade to Sydney - didn't get there]

Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Why then not just come out and say 'no'. As he would be entitled to do. Being seen by Joe to be trying to get a trade done? Getting his mug on trade radio for the finale? Rustling some feathers in Sydney by getting them to ask some of their players to leave?
Yeah, I don't know.

Because he needed to be seen by Joe to be "doing his best". No other reason.

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Shane Woewodin and Adam Cooney won Brownlows. Leigh Matthews never won a Brownlow. Woewodin and Cooney must be better players.

Your argument is ******* dumb.

My argument is Joe is a better player than Heeney, how can I be wrong when you consider what both have achieved to date?

Can Heeney go to higher levels and pass Joe? Absolutely he can but he hasn't yet and I think that's undeniable.

In 5 years time this could look very different, right now though I'm not sure why anyone would think my stance is surprising.

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
For the record, I think Daniher IS a better player than Heeney at his best. But nobody in their right mind would trade Heeney for Daniher right now.

I never said anything about a trade, I was responding to the comment that Joe isn't fit (no pun intended) to carry Heeney's bags, that comment is foolish in my opinion.

Sep 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
There are no other teams
My argument is Joe is a better player than Heeney, how can I be wrong when you consider what both have achieved to date?

Can Heeney go to higher levels and pass Joe? Absolutely he can but he hasn't yet and I think that's undeniable.

In 5 years time this could look very different, right now though I'm not sure why anyone would think my stance is surprising.
You are seriously deluded if you think that.

Never mind 5 years time, Heeney is better now.

Sure Joe has shown potential at times but he is an injury prone guy whos set shot kicking for goal is about as useful as a vagina full of snow.

No AFL recruiter in the comp apart from that (Dodo) bloke would pick Joe over Heeney.

Sep 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
There are no other teams
Heeney is better than an injured Daniher I'd agree with that.
Isn't that the whole point?

IMO Sydney dodged a bullet and Essendon stuffed up big time.

Both fully fit I would take Heeney every day of the week, but I get that you are a supporter of the club Joe plays for.

Just thought a neutral point of view was need to counter the argument that Joe was the better player.

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Pretty disappointing first two games after the hype of the pre-season.

Starting to get a bit worried considering this is now his fifth season and he's basically plateaued after his third season.
Heeney hasnt lived up to the hype yet really if we are honest, nor has Mills
From memory 1 game where he went head to head with T Miller and got a touch up and was lazy defensively.

I rate Heeney by the way but not sure he will reach the heights of the best mid in the comp or Fyfe like that some have said

He isn’t an A grader yet but that’s my opinion
I don't think Heeney has come close to fulfilling his potential (yet!), but I also think he should've been blooded into the midfield a lot more than he has been.
Stagnated from his 2016 season altho few circumstances have contributed to that, worried Mills is heading down the stagnating path as well.
He had a fantastic game. But he's had plenty of fantastic games before. The real challenge is to have a fantastic year.
Nobody who supports the Swans could be surprised by today's performance. He's shown he has that level of ability a lot. But to influence the game to that level for four full quarters, week after week is another level for him which he needs to go to if he is to become what we all hope he will.
Highlight reel atm

Injury or not imo he isn’t a A grader and might never be.

So far from a predicted Fyfe
Needs to take the leap from potential to star next season
Still away from becoming an A grader
Make or break year next year. If he is ever going to be an "elite" player it needs to begin next year.

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Isn't that the whole point?

IMO Sydney dodged a bullet and Essendon stuffed up big time.

Both fully fit I would take Heeney every day of the week, but I get that you are a supporter of the club Joe plays for.

Just thought a neutral point of view was need to counter the argument that Joe was the better player.

Fair enough, you have your view, I disagree.

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Fair enough, I suspect the vast majority of footy fans (Other than Essendon fans) would disagree with you.

The fact you think Heeney is not elite but Joe is, defies belief.

Heeney has elite games but has not had an elite season was my argument, that's fact. Even his own supporters believe that to an extent.

How many elite players have a highest placing of 4th in their clubs BnF? Has never been AA and never in the squad of 40? (not sure on this tbf)

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Winning a B&F at Essendon at the time Joe did would be easier than winning one at Sydney simply because Essendon were a pretty crappy team.

Ignore the AA honours? Essendon was a top 8 side and Daniher was the second best KPF in the comp that year. These heights are much higher than anything Heeney has produced.

Heeney is very valuable. Like Dusty, Danger and De Goey he can play miidfield or dominate forward. Can sometimes win games of his own boot.

Players like that are on par, value wise, as a Lynch, Hawkins etc I reckon.

So I guess a fully fit Daniher is worth about the same as Heeney, maybe a little more if Daniher could stay on the park consistently ( which obviously he cant ATM)

Sep 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
There are no other teams
Ignore the AA honours? Essendon was a top 8 side and Daniher was the second best KPF in the comp that year. These heights are much higher than anything Heeney has produced.
Well when the Mighty Hawthorn team that won the 1991 Premiership in a canter and was full of superstars never got a single AA that year, it tells you a lot about AA selection.

So I don't hold AA selection that highly not to mention the fact the AA selectors get it wrong every year.

Now I am not saying the guy did not have a good year, but don't be hanging your hat on AA selection.

There has been far far far better players than Joe who have never been AA

Last edited:

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Personally I think the best thing has happened for both parties. From the Swans point of view we would like to remove any risk in signing a player, with doubts over their body, to any significant contract. Daniher would have represented too big a risk in a season where we more than probably won't be contenders.
Once again I believe this all was brought forward because the meeting with Harley was made public & it put the light on Joe. We more than likely told Joe & his manager how far we would be prepared to go to get him a year early but would much prefer to take him as a FA for season 2021, after he has gone back to getting on the ground & displaying to all & sundry where his body is at. This would also enable us to get through another year of Buddy's contract & have another year of development put into our young list. It just made little sense for us to pay such a hefty trade price in a year where we won't contend, rather than a year later when the AFL will be the ones that decide how much Joe is worth & it won't affect our own picks.

There is a definite chance though that Joe will "fall in love" with the Bombers again which to be honest, wouldn't bother most people at all.

But make no mistake, as time goes by, it is becoming more & more clear that Joe & his management were the ones driving this whole thing & not Harley & the Swans as first speculated by the Vic media. The Bombers would have known this all along, hence why there seemed to be no bad blood between the clubs.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Wouldnt put it passed him
If you’re right (and I doubt it) then he’s literally strung a player along who has expressed a desire to be traded. So rather than saying at the outset “we can’t make this happen” which would have been honest, he’s literally dicked around the whole ten days, with Daniher waiting in hope.

I don’t know what happened but it isn’t that. If it did go down as you describe, then I don’t rate EFC’s chances of getting “Joey to fall back in love with the club

Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
If you’re right (and I doubt it) then he’s literally strung a player along who has expressed a desire to be traded. So rather than saying at the outset “we can’t make this happen” which would have been honest, he’s literally dicked around the whole ten days, with Daniher waiting in hope.

I don’t know what happened but it isn’t that. If it did go down as you describe, then I don’t rate EFC’s chances of getting “Joey to fall back in love with the club

Why close the door entirely when theres a chance Sydney buckle and pay the lottery he was demanding? He set his price and didnt budge an inch. He can now say "well Joe, this is just how high we rate you and unfortunately Sydney couldnt/wouldnt pay your worth". I think it backfires spectacularly and Joe leaves as a free agent but not after Dodoro threatens to match any offer thats unlikely to get a first round compensation pick.

Back