Free Agency Joe Daniher [RFA to Brisbane for 1st round compensation pick]

Going or staying?

• going

Votes: 166 91.2%
  • staying

Votes: 16 8.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Which we got because we’d been dismal for years on end.

Essendon just got pick 7 for a guy who has played 15 games in 3 years. And the only explanation is that the AFL wanted to prevent you guys from having to pay.
Nothing to do with how many games he's played, but no use explaining it to someone who has absolutely no idea.

I really cant understand why people are upset about this compo !

$2.5 mil over 3 years is $833k a year , Brisbane are taking a massive massive risk paying this type of dollars for daniher and Essendon were more than happy to keep him for the same money so thats clearly his worth. Buyer and Seller value him at the same $$$ and $833k is band 1

If Bombers finished 6th and had say pick #13 /#14 and the Band 1 was offered at #15 nobody would be complaining, What also needs to be remembered is that after the 3 years at $833 Daniher wont accept a $300k salary he will still be asking for $600+ otherwise he will want to come back home' (great excuse)

Semantics. The point is the AFL still bend the rules to try and strengthen footy in QLD and NSW.

There was no way known they were gonna sit by and risk Brisbane having to pay to recruit Daniher.

Wish they'd thought about this when we lost Rockliff for an end of first round compensation pick after being paid $2.8m over four years, despite winning the wooden spoon.

Would've been a great time to bend the rules.

Essendon just got pick 7 for a guy who has played 15 games in 3 years. And the only explanation is that the AFL wanted to prevent you guys from having to pay.

Or you know, the contract we lodged has him being paid enough over the three years so he qualifies for the band 1 compensation. How many games he has played recently doesn't directly factor into the compensation formula.

If Bombers finished 6th and had say pick #13 /#14 and the Band 1 was offered at #15 nobody would be complaining, What also needs to be remembered is that after the 3 years at $833 Daniher wont accept a $300k salary he will still be asking for $600+ otherwise he will want to come back home' (great excuse)

That's a very categorical statement. Who's to say he doesn't sign the extension earlier, or that it's not built into his contract as an option (which supposedly doesn't count for compensation calculation).

Oh, the ONLY explanation. Yes I am sure the AFL sat down and said “we can’t have Brisbane pay for Daniher”. 🙄 Delusional rubbish and very rich coming from a Carlton supporter. You can’t be bitter because you stuffed up your hand outs.

Funny how Essendon and Brisbane fans are happy but other club fans are upset. Must mean it is a fair outcome.

As far as we know about the bidding system, the compo pick isn't out of the ordinary - i.e. 3 years at 800K will get band 1, even if there is an option for further years at less money because only the guaranteed $ count and the number of years is a tiebreaker only.

Is it fair though? No, not at all, but then no first round FA compo pick has really been fair. It is win-win for Ess and Brisbane but a loss for every other team. Compo picks should move back to at minimum the end of the first round.

Funny how Essendon and Brisbane fans are happy but other club fans are upset. Must mean it is a fair outcome.

I don't think it's a fair outcome - even if it benefits Brisbane. The compensation system should be scrapped.

If years are only a tiebreaker how come $3m (lycett) = band 2, 2.8m equals band 2 (rocky) and $3m equals band 3 (ellis) but $2.5m equals band 1?

that doesn’t compute with what we’ve repeatedly been told. I’m not saying the afl manipulated the result, but it appears at very least the system is flawed / unreliable and that the info we’ve been given is either out of date or a load of s**t.

If years are only a tiebreaker how come $3m (lycett) = band 2, 2.8m equals band 2 (rocky) and $3m equals band 3 (ellis) but $2.5m equals band 1?

that doesn’t compute with what we’ve repeatedly been told. I’m not saying the afl manipulated the result, but it appears at very least the system is flawed / unreliable and that the info we’ve been given is either out of date or a load of sh*t.
It's the amount per year that counts. Don't know what those other contracts were at as far as year's but using the Daniher one $2.5m for 3 years is $833k per year. If someone else was $5m for 6 years then still $833k per year but would be rated higher than Daniher as the 6 years vs 3 years would be the tiebreaker.

It's the amount per year that counts. Don't know what those other contracts were at as far as year's but using the Daniher one $2.5m for 3 years is $833k per year. If someone else was $5m for 6 years then still $833k per year but would be rated higher than Daniher as the 6 years vs 3 years would be the tiebreaker.
I’ve seen 100’s of posts, and even articles outright state it’s the total contract.

I’ve seen 100’s of posts, and even articles outright state it’s the total contract.
Well I would say those posts are totally incorrect as everything I've read from AFL etc it is the average wage per year that is taken into account.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it's a fair outcome - even if it benefits Brisbane. The compensation system should be scrapped.
Brisbane recruiters have rocks in their heads giving up a 1st round pick for Daniher...I KNOW his groin is f’d...Brisbane will be extremely lucky to get him up for 10 games...there is no way he’s better value than Isaac Smith...EFC footy dept will be parteeing...

Last edited:
Brisbane recruiters have rocks in their heads giving up a 1st round pick for Daniher...I KNOW his groin is f’d...Brisbane will be extremely lucky to get him up for 10 games...there is no way he’s better value than Isaac Smith...EFC footy dept will be parteeing...

Thanks mate. I think I'll back our medical team in over Big Footy posters though :)

I’m not yr mate...remember what I’ve just said..
That brisbane gave up a first rd pick for daniher when they didnt?

What first round pick did Brisbane give up for Daniher?
18 and 19 for 19 and 20.

And you guys may very well never recover.

HAHAHA listen to this guy.

Firstly, you know SQUAT.

Secondly, Brisbane hasn't given up anything other than the salary. It's called free agency.

Back