• going

Votes: 166 91.2%
  • staying

Votes: 16 8.8%

• Total voters
Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Not sure how this is allowed. What stops clubs and players coming to agreements behind closed doors that they sign extensions to lower the average salary after the initial free agency offer to price out competitors ?

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I don’t really see how it’s a loop hole. I mean how is it any different to teams structuring the contracts of players going into the preseason draft so that no one else will match?

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
I don’t really see how it’s a loop hole. I mean how is it any different to teams structuring the contracts of players going into the preseason draft so that no one else will match?

Arguably they are both against the spirit of the draft and free agency rules but the AFL is too paralysed to do anything about it.

If they make it too hard for clubs and players to get their way within the rules, clubs will just go old school and bust out the brown paper bags again… if they aren’t already…

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Arguably they are both against the spirit of the draft and free agency rules but the AFL is too paralysed to do anything about it.

If they make it too hard for clubs and players to get their way within the rules, clubs will just go old school and bust out the brown paper bags again… if they aren’t already…

Yeah I guess. I’m just saying that Brisbane could argue they weren’t trying to rig the compensation system they were just trying to make it hard for Essndond to match as obviously we wouldn’t have the agreement for the cheap extension.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
What do you mean by price out competitors?
Well a team could offer a player 700k a year for 3 years ,team b doesn’t think he’s worth it and doesn’t match/counter offer. 12 months later team A and player come to agreement to sign an “extension” for 300k a year. So instead of the player being on 700k a year, he’s now on 540k a year after it all averages out

mattsmob

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
Daniher’s injury history would’ve played a huge part in reducing the years of his contract as well. I would’ve been very nervous giving him a 5 year deal on good money straight off the bat, now that he’s had a good season and started this pre-season well it makes sense to extend him now.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
What do you mean by price out competitors?
Or the more sinister scenario is team A recruits One of team B’s very good players. Both teams are top 4. Not wanting to give team B a high end pick via compo, team A offer the player 3 years at 400k. Not enough for band 1 compo it forces team a and b into a trade where they could exchange picks or players that team a are willing to give up.

Following year the player agrees to an extension for an extra 2 years at 800k a year . Which originally would have given team B a very good pick

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Well a team could offer a player 700k a year for 3 years ,team b doesn’t think he’s worth it and doesn’t match/counter offer. 12 months later team A and player come to agreement to sign an “extension” for 300k a year. So instead of the player being on 700k a year, he’s now on 540k a year after it all averages out
But you choose to go wherever you want as a free agent. You dont have to go to a club just because they have the most money. If the player wants to go to team B he names his price. If he wants to go to team A it makes no difference what team B is willing to offer.

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Or the more sinister scenario is team A recruits One of team B’s very good players. Both teams are top 4. Not wanting to give team B a high end pick via compo, team A offer the player 3 years at 400k. Not enough for band 1 compo it forces team a and b into a trade where they could exchange picks or players that team a are willing to give up.

Following year the player agrees to an extension for an extra 2 years at 800k a year . Which originally would have given team B a very good pick
Some impressive mental gymnastics there. But ill try. In this scenario Team B matches obviously as you've stated. They can come to an agreement via trade which pleases both teams. Or if they arent able to come to an agreement the player is forced to the draft where they are fair game (at 3x 400k a year) and are snapped up by anyone. It makes no sense for either of the 2 clubs or the player to do this.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Some impressive mental gymnastics there. But ill try. In this scenario Team B matches obviously as you've stated. They can come to an agreement via trade which pleases both teams. Or if they arent able to come to an agreement the player is forced to the draft where they are fair game (at 3x 400k a year) and are snapped up by anyone. It makes no sense for either of the 2 clubs or the player to do this.
How often do players go to the draft in these situations ? Even more rare is players getting drafted against their will. We hear it every year , walk player to the draft but it just doesn’t happen

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
But you choose to go wherever you want as a free agent. You dont have to go to a club just because they have the most money. If the player wants to go to team B he names his price. If he wants to go to team A it makes no difference what team B is willing to offer.
I don’t think there are many free agent offers that come through that Havnt had pretty solid involvement from the player, if they are getting a free agent offer I’d guess there is a 90% chance that’s the club he wants to play for

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I don’t think there are many free agent offers that come through that Havnt had pretty solid involvement from the player, if they are getting a free agent offer I’d guess there is a 90% chance that’s the club he wants to play for
Correct, which is why your original worry about pricing out competitors confused me. A free agent will get to wherever he wants.

I don’t think they’ve restructured the payments in the next two years have they? The remaining part of the deal he got as a FA?

They still have to pay him the same $ out of each year of the cap that they agreed to in the FA compo which is the Buddy Franklin rule.

What they do after that is up to them, and whether they wait the full three years to re-sign him, or 18 months in advance of his contract expiry, it really makes no difference….

Still lolz tho

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I distinctly remember Sydney being told they could not alter buddy’s contract in anyway due to him signing as a free agent. Weren’t allowed to add or remove years, we’re not allowed to move money around. So it’s interesting the lions have been allowed to

Back