Joel Garner draft profile

Rep teams: Eastern, Victoria Metro

D.O.B: 21/05/1999

Position: Midfield

Height: 184cm

Weight: 82.6kg

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2017-11-24/pick-60-joel-garner

Last edited:

Really really like this pick. Just seems like such a solid player. Good character and leadership, can see him fitting in easily to the club. Not sure he'll ever be a star but see his ceiling being something like a broadbent/hartlett best 22 type. For where he was picked, will be an absolute steal

JOEL GARNER

183cm / 81kg

527433.jpg

Clubs: Eastern / Vic Metro

Positions: Half Back Flank / Outside Mid

Comparison: Bachar Houli

Stats: Joel came to prominence as a 16 year old, playing in Eastern’s 2015 premiership team. He had a consistent year for Eastern in 2017, being named captain and averaging 16 disposals a game. He also averaged over 4 tackles and 3 rebound50s a game. His form for Vic Metro was similar, with 16 disposals and 3 tackles a game, with nearly 50% of his disposals contested.

Gamestyle:

Joel is a skilful back flanker who loves to take the game on and set up the play from the backline. He plays direct, has a raking left foot kick and shows great leadership. Joel has good agility and regularly is able to weave himself out of traffic down back, before delivering a long effective kick down field. He is not afraid of the contest and is more than capable playing a shutdown role. With that ability to get out of traffic and his elite kick, there is scope that he could turn into a centre square midfielder in time. On occasion he can rush disposal or run himself into trouble but it is something that should be able to be removed from his game under an AFL environment.

Draft Range: 10-25

He’s attacking, good kick, takes the game on, good pace, good leadership. He will start to come under consideration from late first round and should be gone by the start of the third round. Brisbane at 15 or 18 will be interested, Richmond at 17 will look at him, West Coast at 21 will look at him and he would suit North Melbourne at 23 perfectly.

Better player than pick 60. Not sure we need another half back though. How’s his midfield potential?

I think he could be a centre square midfielder in time

I didn't study Garner much because I didn't expect him to be there after 30 let alone 40. But I enjoyed reading about Garner. Paul V might have a star pupil.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...k/news-story/f575b8879fefce117ce6ca7d90feb510
Regardless of how he fares over the next month, AFL hopeful Joel Garner will leave a legacy at one of Melbourne’s most prestigious schools. The 18-year-old, who hails from Wandin in the Yarra Ranges, this year became the first indigenous pupil to serve as a prefect at Scotch College. While Garner arrived at the school already a star junior footballer, he earned elevation to an important role within the student population by virtue of his leadership qualities. Having spent part of his Year 12 mentoring Scotch’s indigenous students, Garner is certain it will not be long before others follow his lead.

“They did a vote and everyone in Year 12 got to vote, plus the staff, and I think I was privileged to have been able to have an impact on the school in three years,” Garner told The Weekend Australian. “That meant a lot, to get the respect from all my peers and teachers in that time frame, so it is a huge honour, and hopefully I have started something for the indigenous boys coming through, that they can do it as well.” Like thousands of students across the country, Garner will sit for his final school exams over the next fortnight. But Garner, whose family is from the Mara tribe, is also among the few hundred boys and former AFL-listed footballers looking beyond their studies to the national draft, which will be held in Sydney on November 24.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...k/news-story/f575b8879fefce117ce6ca7d90feb510

Talks a bit about his studies and not having enough time to devote to both footy and school
In an interview during the AFL draft combine in early October, Garner said that while he felt he would fare reasonably in exams, he wished he had more time to dedicate to his studies. That he has the energy to study at all outside of school hours is something of a surprise given his daily commute and extra-curricular activities. Garner, who captained the national indigenous junior team called The Flying Boomerangs a couple of years ago, starts his day at 6am. He needs to be out of the family home within the hour and at Lilydale train station in Melbourne’s far east for the 7.05am into town. At Glenferrie station, not far from the spiritual home ground of the mighty Hawthorn he barracks for, Garner swaps from train to tram for the final leg to school. It is much the same in reverse with an additional stop, for Garner has to be at footy training by 5pm and often does not arrive back at home until after 8.30pm. “I am probably not strong (academically) but I will do all right,” he said. “I think if I had the time to put more into school, and had a bit more of a crack, I would have done a little better than I have done. “So that is probably my biggest regret, not having the time to put in the right amount of effort for school, but if I had the time, I think I would have done pretty well.”

Leadership style has been compared to Hodge but he has modelled himself around another leftie from Hawthorn Grant Birchall.
Because of his leadership traits and playing style — he is a left-footer who sets up play from the half-back line — and no doubt influenced by his support of Hawthorn, Garner was compared to Luke Hodge by one analyst this year........... “It is a massive (comparison but) it is a bit far-fetched though, I reckon, because he is a legend,” he said. “I played a lot off half-back and behind the play (and that) is what people saw and made the link. I was pretty honoured to have that thrown out there but I don’t think anyone will be as good as Hodgey.” But Garner has tried to emulate the calm decision-making and creativity of the three-time premiership captain, who will finish his career with Brisbane, and fellow Hawk Grant Birchall.

His old man got the nickname Joel when playing at Carlton, mum liked it so they called their boy Joel.
And as to the name? Garner said that his father Glen was given the nickname “Joel” when playing under-19 football for Carlton and Fitzroy during the reign of the ‘Caribbean Kings’ in the 1980s and it stuck, with his mother also liking the name. The AFL prospect said he loved donning the cricket whites as a youngster but his talent as a footballer won out. “I loved cricket and I was a keen lawn bowler for the last two years for school, but mainly cricket,” he said. “I did all the rep (representative) teams for cricket, country week sides, outer-east sides, but footy was my priority for sure.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought he might slide a little but pick 60 was unexpected - he didn't show it enough this year but I do think the midfield potential is there. All class and composure.

Shades of a young Greg Anderson. He has a little more hunger for the contest than Houli and searches for physical contact.

Pretty happy with this selection and am excited to see what the future brings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back