News Joel Garner signs for Richmond VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't mind the idea of putting him through the midfield as a tagger it's worth a shot.

Won't make it at Port. Might make it elsewhere but I think he's overrated on this board. Could just as easily leave for 'more opportunity' only for us to learn that he's not up to it when he gets that opportunity.

Won't make it at Port. Might make it elsewhere but I think he's overrated on this board. Could just as easily leave for 'more opportunity' only for us to learn that he's not up to it when he gets that opportunity.
Not every player makes it. We've had a pretty good strike rate from our most recent drafts, but no club gets them all right.

I would love a tour of the factory where Norwood churn out their unheralded largely medium/third tall defenders who can play key roles shockingly well at the highest level.

Craig Kelly
Rodney Maynard
Martin Pike
Adam Heuskes
Tom Harley
Nathan Bassett
Joel Patfull
Nick Duigan
Heath Grundy
Tom Jonas
Luke Brown

Seriously, it’s like us with GOAT-class midfielders.
Spoke to my Norwood mate about this over the long weekend and he told me a few of them are country lads who boarded at PAC, so they got city zoned to Norwood, even though their parents don't live in the Norwood country zone. He said most of them were strong country lads so they could "punch" above their weight division.

I decided to check that Craig Kelly was from the country because last year or the year before that, I found out he was Bert Kelly's grandson. Bert was a Liberal MP for the seat of Wakefield for 20 years from the late 1950's and a minister in Holt and Gordon government, was a free trader, pushed to reduce high tariffs and used to write an articles in the Fin Review and Oz titled the Modest Member and when he left politics, retitled it the Modest Farmer. I used to read it when I studied economics and had no idea at the time he was Ned's grandpa.

So I looked up Redlegs Museum, and FMD he could have played for Port. Hs oldman Kim played 33 games and was ruck rover in the 1959 Flag side.

Possibly best described as a uncompromising footballer, Craig Kelly was a popular member of the Norwood and Collingwood football clubs. Recruited by Norwood while still at Prince Alfred College after talks with Neil Balme and John Wynne, Kelly's many suitors had included Port Adelaide where his father Kim played between 1958 and 1963.

Debuting in 1984, he played most of his early football as a strong marking key forward, but missed Norwood's Grand Final triumph that year due to injury. By 1988 he was the team's regular centre half back, a position even more suited to his straight-ahead style of football. .

Found his article about his old man Kim who returned to Riverton in the Clare Valley after finished playing for Port.

Ned could have been a Port player. Would have been handy. For several years its been mooted that he would take over from Eddie McGuire as the next Collingwood President.

Not sure if the conflict of interest being CEO of TLA sports management company that represents about 250 of the 800 AFL listed players will stop this. If he does get the gig as Collingwood Prez, will be interesting to see what his stance on the PBs are. We might have to get the old man to lobby him to let us wear them.

Spoke to my Norwood mate about this over the long weekend and he told me a few of them are country lads who boarded at PAC, so they got city zoned to Norwood, even though their parents don't live in the Norwood country zone. He said most of them were strong country lads so they could "punch" above their weight division.

I decided to check that Craig Kelly was from the country because last year or the year before that, I found out he was Bert Kelly's grandson. Bert was a Liberal MP for the seat of Wakefield for 20 years from the late 1950's and a minister in Holt and Gordon government, was a free trader, pushed to reduce high tariffs and used to write an articles in the Fin Review and Oz titled the Modest Member and when he left politics, retitled it the Modest Farmer. I used to read it when I studied economics and had no idea at the time he was Ned's grandpa.

So I looked up Redlegs Museum, and FMD he could have played for Port. Hs oldman Kim played 33 games and was ruck rover in the 1959 Flag side.

Possibly best described as a uncompromising footballer, Craig Kelly was a popular member of the Norwood and Collingwood football clubs. Recruited by Norwood while still at Prince Alfred College after talks with Neil Balme and John Wynne, Kelly's many suitors had included Port Adelaide where his father Kim played between 1958 and 1963.

Debuting in 1984, he played most of his early football as a strong marking key forward, but missed Norwood's Grand Final triumph that year due to injury. By 1988 he was the team's regular centre half back, a position even more suited to his straight-ahead style of football. .

Found his article about his old man Kim who returned to Riverton in the Clare Valley after finished playing for Port.

Ned could have been a Port player. Would have been handy. For several years its been mooted that he would take over from Eddie McGuire as the next Collingwood President.

Not sure if the conflict of interest being CEO of TLA sports management company that represents about 250 of the 800 AFL listed players will stop this. If he does get the gig as Collingwood Prez, will be interesting to see what his stance on the PBs are. We might have to get the old man to lobby him to let us wear them.

Kim would have played with my Grandfather at Riverton.

Port Adelaide premiership player Choc Davis who recently passed away was Grandpa's best friend and they played in many premierships together at Riverton. My Grandfather was also duel Magarey medallist Bob Hank's cousin.

Joel had a shocking trial game period and first month with the Maggies.

The turning point seemed to be the WWT game. Even though we dominated the 2nd quarter and he didn't do much as a result, but he did a couple of solid bits of play that snuffed out any chance of WWT scoring as we kicked 7.4 to 1.0 in that quarter. Earlier on in the year he would have stuffed them up. He was solid after that in the 2nd half.

Since that game he has been very good against the crows at AO and North and West at Alberton and would have been in Port's top 6 best players in all 3 games. If he keeps playing like this, especially away from home, he might get a chance to play in the A grade before the season is over, provided the coach doesn't rush Hartlett back in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s kinda now or never. If he doesn’t get a game before the end of the year you would think we wouldn’t be giving him another contract.

So if we want to we have to see if he’s worth another contract by giving him an AFL game imo.
Yeah its a bit like Frederick. I've seen enough of Marty to say give him another year but he is about #13 ranked of the defenders we have on the list, and if we are close to full strength wont get another game this year.

Same with Garner, we need another look to see if his strengths are worth keeping. Bonner isn't a defender, is slow in decision making and we shouldn't be playing him at HB in front of firing Garner. At the moment Garner is behind Frederick, but I want to see if he can leap over him.

Last edited:
He could be a chance to play if Jonas gets matches for slamming his own head into the ground from his attempted Garner-type hanger in the third quarter. ;)

#TomJonasrule

Yeah its a bit like Frederick. I've seen enough of Marty to say give him another year but he is about #13 ranked of the defenders we have on the list, and if we are close to full strength wont get another game this year.

Same with Garner, we need another look to see if his strengths are worth keeping. Bonner isn't a defender, is slow in decision making and we shouldn't be playing him at HB in front of firing Garner. At the moment Garner is behind Frederick, but I want to see if he can leap over him.
Ken likes Marty.
I think he has serious talent. Reckon he'll stay next season. Developing nicely and allows Houston, Jones, et al to rotate through the midfield.

He also likes Hammer.
So he probs gets a one year extension!

Don't think he has a high opinion of Garner.
Really like him, but I think he will be traded at the end of the year.

Ken likes Marty.
I think he has serious talent. Reckon he'll stay next season. Developing nicely and allows Houston, Jones, et al to rotate through the midfield.

He also likes Hammer.
So he probs gets a one year extension!

Don't think he has a high opinion of Garner.
Really like him, but I think he will be traded at the end of the year.
Marty has serious speed, but I wouldn't trust his defending in a tight tough arm wrestle type game. Garner isn't a quick, but I would have more trust in him than Marty defending in that tight tough arm wrestle type game.

2 goals while playing up forward for 10 mins.

Good goal.

'Natural footballers' Garner and Williams both have this knock of speed or is it tank against them while Woodcock has just the scent of vanilla about everything. Will any of the three ever 'translate' their game pace to AFL?

Speaking of aromas, odd comment about Rod Jameson on the vid. He and Stephen Williams are a reasonable, balanced team on ABC. Not too perfumey at all.

Sorry guys, Garner is gawn. 22 years old and hasn't played a senior game for two years. What part of that tells you that our coaches rate him highly enough for him to get another contract?

Sorry guys, Garner is gawn. 22 years old and hasn't played a senior game for two years. What part of that tells you that our coaches rate him highly enough for him to get another contract?

It's just a shame that his non-inclusion coincides with DBJ playing like trash all year with complete impunity.

He Has the attributes to play except he’s too slow.

we Might be able to pinch a 3rd rounder for him
No chance. He'd go for like a 5th rounder or he'll be a delisted free agent, if he finds another club at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back