News Joel Garner signs for Richmond VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah he is finished. Credit to him though, he has played like he cares all year even though it was pretty obvious he was done for very early on.

Should play forward for the remainder of the year to give support up there. No need for him in defence with all the players we have back.

Garners lack of speed is surprising as he was quick in the under 18s. Regularly took the game on running from the back 50 and was hard to catch. Its a real shame he hasn't made it as the few AFL games he did play were pretty classy. I hope he gets a go somewhere else.

We have had Hartlett, DBJ and Houston all in bad form/injured at various stages throughout the season and have refused to play him.

I believe he is good enough to be a solid small defender, unfortunately for the club his best bet is elsewhere.

His three games at AFL level back in 2019 looked pretty good to me.
They did, such a shame that Jonas hasn’t dropped off and McKenzie has flourished. At 22 the decision would be on him, try for opportunities elsewhere or bide time for another 12-24 months to take TJ’s back pocket.

I agree with others, there has been some questionable form issues and he should have been given an opportunity.

His three games at AFL level back in 2019 looked pretty good to me.

Plays the easiest position on the ground. To play AFL footy with a top 4 team in that position you're probably going to need to be better than just solid.

Plays the easiest position on the ground. To play AFL footy with a top 4 team in that position you're probably going to need to be better than just solid.
Yep. The little stint forward yesterd'y could be the avenue that keeps him on the list. If you don't have that top end talent then versatility is a must.

How do you account for the perseverance with Bonner over the past two seasons and the acceptance of DBJ's form this year?

Bonner, despite his deficiencies, clearly has a high ceiling. He's quick and has a great kick on him. I haven't seen enough of Garner to make a good judgment but from what I've seen he's a fairly vanilla half back.

DBJ is a different case because he's got the runs on the board (agree he should've been dropped as a wake up call at some point though).

They did, such a shame that Jonas hasn’t dropped off
:think:
Jonas has dropped massively, but he's got the Captain gold pass. Though it's more DBJ he should have come in for earlier in the year. We aren't going to play him at this late stage though.

The only way he's getting a contract is if the club considers this years draft too s**t given our picks and doesn't want to have pick 85 tied up for 2 years on a contract, so Garner gets a 1 yr deal for us to attack next years draft with more open list spots.

How do you account for the perseverance with Bonner over the past two seasons and the acceptance of DBJ's form this year?

Bonner is super quick and kicks the ball 60-65 metres. DBJ is still playing AFL standard football (he's averaging 20 touches off of HBF) and has never looked like 'not being an AFL player' since he has come into the team. There are plenty of pretty good players not getting a game right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's true that Garner did play a couple of reasonable AFL games in 2019, but his form in the sanfl finals of the same year was disappointing, and I will be very surprised if he survives the cut this season.

Garner needs to realize quickly if he's gonna play AFL its gonna be as an inside Mid, he's not gonna be a half back flankers because of his size & speed.

Garner needs to realize quickly if he's gonna play AFL its gonna be as an inside Mid, he's not gonna be a half back flankers because of his size & speed.
I saw him as more of a mid sized lockdown defender - similar to a Maynard (in position, not skill level). I reckon there is still a role for players like that, even in a horses for courses sense (going to someone like Cameron or Pickett for example)

I saw him as more of a mid sized lockdown defender - similar to a Maynard (in position, not skill level). I reckon there is still a role for players like that, even in a horses for courses sense (going to someone like Cameron or Pickett for example)
Yes, but he's too small and you need leg speed

I feel like we constantly hear players being ruled out of AFL contention due to speed. While I agree it puts them behind the 8 ball to begin with, the exposure needs to be given to find out how they use their opportunity at AFL level: Rockliff, S Mitchell, and others have been described as slow; Snelling had his speed questioned but he's showing he can play at Essendon. I'm not sure Garner should be ruled out because of his speed because when he's been at AFL level I've thought he's done well.

Bergman, Jones and to a lesser extent Lienert and Frederick, walking right past him onto the half back line when those opportunities arose indicated he was on his way out. Inconsistency probably killed it for him, even Jones was better playing a defensive role for WWT last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back