Traded Joel Hamling [traded to Fremantle with picks 40 and 63 for picks 35, 43 and 61]

Remove this Banner Ad

nosubs.jpg

Very nice

Or a nil all draw.
Not a nil result for us when we got him off the scrap heap as a DFA only 2 years ago.

He had a fantastic finals series but he is still borderline best 22 and was out of contract and nominated a specific club. Given the circumstances, this deal represents fairness for both teams.

Good luck Hammer - you will always be a Dogs premiership hero and will have a lifetime of premiership reunions to go to and get ripped alongside Libba.

Good thread. Some magnanimous Dogs fans on here. Seems like a win:win for all parties.

Freo should be pleased.
They have pick 7 to use on a kid in the draft (please dont waste it on English) and McCarthy and Hamling will be a huge help as KPPs where Freo are obviously very weak.

Freo spine looking stronger now

Collins Pearce -
- Hamling -
- Mundy -
- Taberner
- McCarthy Apeness

Good thread. Some magnanimous Dogs fans on here. Seems like a win:win for all parties.

Freo should be pleased.
They have pick 7 to use on a kid in the draft (please dont waste it on English) and McCarthy and Hamling will be a huge help as KPPs where Freo are obviously very weak.

Freo spine looking stronger now

Collins Pearce -
- Hamling -
- Mundy -
- Taberner
- McCarthy Apeness

I think you spelt Michael Johnson wrong there is no U or D or Y in it.

Good luck to Hamling
His finals series helped play a part in changing all Doggies supporters lives and in turn he got a life changing deal from Fremantle because of it. We all won!

400k a season doesn't seem very life changing. Seems only fair for a guy who looks like a solid best 22 key defender. The Dogs probably don't have the cap space to offer much more or even meet that but surely he would've got at least 350k from the Dogs?

The Dogs are such a good drafting team and have Adams and Morris (maybe for 1 year only for each of those 2), Roberts and Collins and the ability to offer success so they'll be fine with pick 35. But I think it's a ripping deal for Freo.

Solid draft pick. Solid contract. Peak age ready to play 100+ good games over the next 5 years.

400k a season doesn't seem very life changing. Seems only fair for a guy who looks like a solid best 22 key defender. The Dogs probably don't have the cap space to offer much more or even meet that but surely he would've got at least 350k from the Dogs?

The Dogs are such a good drafting team and have Adams and Morris (maybe for 1 year only for each of those 2), Roberts and Collins and the ability to offer success so they'll be fine with pick 35. But I think it's a ripping deal for Freo.

Solid draft pick. Solid contract. Peak age ready to play 100+ good games over the next 5 years.

We only spent 95% last few years. Can spend 105% this year, have the cap space. Club didn't think he was worth what Freo are paying I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo should be pleased.

I agree, most of dog supporters are great and glad you won the f
Good bit of business that and good to see Dogs fans being gracious.

I'm grad they won the grand final.

400k a season doesn't seem very life changing.

He's 23 years old so $400k per years for 3 years might not be life changing but it makes a very big difference especially considering where he has come from.

Hamling didn't come through the traditional development path - up until he was 16 he was playing in Broome where the junior comp for kids his age was almost non-existent. Moved down to Perth for his last year or so of high school and his raw talent came to the attention of some - including Geelong who drafted him as a project player when they were smack bang in the middle of winning flags and could afford to spend a bit of time nurturing a project player.

Was delisted after 3 years which he didn't really expect and his career was hanging by a thread not knowing if anyone would pick him up - he hadn't played a senior AFL game so it was no guarantee any club would want him.

The bulldogs did and it was only really injury to others that he got his chance late this year to cement a spot. Fair play to him he's taken that chance and now he has a 3 year, $1.2m contract when 3 months ago Freo arguably could have got him with a 2 year, $500k contract

Good luck to him

He's 23 years old so $400k per years for 3 years might not be life changing but it makes a very big difference especially considering where he has come from.

Hamling didn't come through the traditional development path - up until he was 16 he was playing in Broome where the junior comp for kids his age was almost non-existent. Moved down to Perth for his last year or so of high school and his raw talent came to the attention of some - including Geelong who drafted him as a project player when they were smack bang in the middle of winning flags and could afford to spend a bit of time nurturing a project player.

Was delisted after 3 years which he didn't really expect and his career was hanging by a thread not knowing if anyone would pick him up - he hadn't played a senior AFL game so it was no guarantee any club would want him.

The bulldogs did and it was only really injury to others that he got his chance late this year to cement a spot. Fair play to him he's taken that chance and now he has a 3 year, $1.2m contract when 3 months ago Freo arguably could have got him with a 2 year, $500k contract

Good luck to him
It's great money, I just meant more in terms of what the Dogs would've been offering. Surely they would've gone for a 3 year deal, had to be worth more than 2 years given his age and late season form. Then he must've been offered at least 300, 350. The difference between the 2 contracts couldn't have been that much if the Dockers are only paying 400k a year. If he was offered 600k then sure, but at 400 I reckon he's hardly bolted for cash.

I hope the Dogs keep Adams.

Hamling's OK but he reminds me of Gillam or LRT or Frawley as one of those guys that just had a good GF (good series overall) rather than being that good a player. Hopefully he works out well for the Dockers. Can't really begrudge fringe players who move for opportunity or huge (% terms) pay increases. You only get a short career playing footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back