Welcome Joel Hamling - Welcome to Freo!

Remove this Banner Ad

Love the bloke and had a heated discussion with another Freo supporter who thinks he isn't much chop. Told the guy that Hamling had only played around 30 senior games and is already playing key role in our back line. Has awesome closing speed and marking power. His response was "30 games too many for that hack."

I had to walk away before I lost it. As I was walking away he says to his mate "that bloke knows nothing about footy. He thinks Hamling is a good player." His mate says "he is a good player you f#$king idiot."

Brought a huge smile to my face.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Does he admit to having a sixpack of aliases on here??

Just read the first page of posts on this thread. Always interesting exerciseto do for any player in any club on BF!
Kersten was supposed to be the missing link…
It’s a shame injuries stuffed up the last 2 years or so of Joel’s time here

I'd keep him around for a break glass in case of emergency situation like this season. If he is willing to do it, of course.
There is a genuine shortage of KPD around the league. I’d be surprised if someone like north didn’t offer him a contract for a year

There is a genuine shortage of KPD around the league. I’d be surprised if someone like north didn’t offer him a contract for a year
He was mentioned on Gettable this week as a free agent option. But only as depth...which he already is.

Joel has a young family and is very settled in WA.

If we offer him another year he will accept it.

He demonstrated in the few AFL games he played this season that he is a quality depth player which we need.
Yep, with Banfield and Treacy elevating to main squad, I’d give him a rookie contract for a year, Davies isn’t ready yet and Draper is about 6 months to a year behind him in development.

Edit Reidy must be close to delist material if he hasn’t been given a go in the last month while Darcy has been out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also hope we keep him on. Think his return from injury and the complications around it has been admirable.

And I don’t think anyone could have predicted Alex Pearce would play a full season.

I really rate Davies too but I’d be more comfortable knowing we had both of them knocking around next year. I’m hoping Draper is unshackled from the backline at least a little.
I agree. Our strategic thinking tends towards old style Lego block thinking. Lacking in creativity and flexibility.
  • promote Davies development
  • provide 'just in case' support for him, as well as a great mentor
  • develop Draper as an attacking option

I feel like we need to keep him for at least one more year, especially if we’re at the stage where we’re trialling Cox forward.

Both Pearce and Cox have only really played “full” seasons for the past two years. We need insurance when one of them is inevitably injured, even if it’s only for a few games, and Davies and Draper need at least another year of development before they’ll be ready to step up

I feel like we need to keep him for at least one more year, especially if we’re at the stage where we’re trialling Cox forward.

Both Pearce and Cox have only really played “full” seasons for the past two years. We need insurance when one of them is inevitably injured, even if it’s only for a few games, and Davies and Draper need at least another year of development before they’ll be ready to step up

Cox has maybe had a significant injury once or twice in his career at Freo. I only remember one bad hammy and that’s it.

He wasn’t playing full seasons before that because he wasn’t best 22 before that - he just got quite a few games because others got injured.

Also this won’t be popular but if David Walls is any good he find a state league KPD that’s way younger and only 5-10% worse than Hamling this off season. I wasn’t that impressed by Hamling this season. He was okay when he played but nothing special. Respect what he’s done for the club and it’s a damn shame the last 3-4 years were ruined by injuries but I think his time is now.

Cox has maybe had a significant injury once or twice in his career at Freo. I only remember one bad hammy and that’s it.

He wasn’t playing full seasons before that because he wasn’t best 22 before that - he just got quite a few games because others got injured.
The issue with cox was never significant season ending injuries except for his hammy a couple years ago. His first two years was mostly him fighting for a spot in the 22, but In 2019 and 2020 he was dealing with persistent hip/hamstring problems in pre season and during the season. Missed a month in 2020, but only played 4 WAFL + 8 H&A games in 2019. I’m pretty sure it was implied that he wasn’t taking his rehab seriously which may have been why he was out for so long though.

Either way those hip/hammy issues are still ongoing in his last two seasons but he’s been playing through them instead. Much like Pearce and his ankle. Push it too much and you’re looking at 3-4 weeks on the sideline without anyone to fill their spot l.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back