Past Joel Patfull (2005-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

He has really tried to take his game to the next level by providing so e rebound out if defensive 50. He now not only stops his opponent, but looks to punish them the other way. Whilst I'd prefer to have him as our 3rd defender, I think playing on the bigger guys actually allows him to provide more offensively as the key forwards usually provide less defensively. Will be top 3 at least for B&F.

He has really tried to take his game to the next level by providing so e rebound out if defensive 50. He now not only stops his opponent, but looks to punish them the other way. Whilst I'd prefer to have him as our 3rd defender, I think playing on the bigger guys actually allows him to provide more offensively as the key forwards usually provide less defensively. Will be top 3 at least for B&F.

Yep, he's become a real offensive threat, without taking away from his defensive prowess. Makes me think he's played too conservatively in the past.

I've always like Joel but the last couple of months I think he's been in career best form and I'd put him in the top 10 most valuable defenders in the AFL. I think he's been helped by having Goose down there but while continuing to shut down his opponent he has really helped by peeling off his opponent to help others out and has rebounded well out of the backline. It is also clear that although he seems reserved off the field, along with Jed he does a great job leading the defenders.

2013 Review - by patfullfankezz

Porky. JPats. Patsy. Joelly. Whatever you call two-time Merrett-Murray Medal winner Joel Patfull, he's now officially a Club Legend. Winning one Club Championship is something (especially for a defender), winning two on the trot is a feat in itself, especially when you consider he not only used to be considered nothing but a “good, honest” player who wouldn't be remembered, but he was also a Port Adelaide reject (and no, Port CAN'T have him back!). He also cleaned up in the other Club awards, getting the Shaun Hart Most Courageous Award (for the second year running) and the Players Player of the Year Award. It's one of those feel-good stories that has paid dividends for the Lions. Joel's a consistently good player whose drive to become better is matched only by his humility and bad haircuts (seriously, the shaved head. Don't do it again). So, let's have a look at how the new Club Legend's season went.

Joel's season started rather poorly, being under fire in early rounds where our backline was (to put it politely) slaughtered. Between the lot of them they managed to leak 112 goals in the first seven rounds. It was so bad that Joel didn't even poll votes in the Best and Fairest count until round 4. His worst performances were easily against the Bulldogs and the Swans (Whom Joel hasn't had the easiest of times with), while he did okay against Melbourne and held his head above water against West Coast.

He managed to redeem himself a little in round 8 in the “OMFG WTF?” win against Essendon with some brilliant intercepting marks, but that's when things went from bad to worse. Joel lost ALL of his backline buddies to either injury (Matt Maguire) or suspension (Justin Clarke and part-timer Daniel Merrett). Left alone to face the might of Carlton and Collingwood, Joel battled bravely, but Jarrod Waite (usually Joel's bunny) had a field day on him and Collingwood managed to belt us easily. It wasn't looking good heading into Joel's 150th game against Fremantle, but that's when Joel started to turn it around, keeping Ballantyne quiet at Patterson Stadium.

Then Joel proved his versatility by being swung up forward against Geelong and taking an incredible mark* and kicking the goal that would start the resurgence against the Cats, while also being one of the players who got the ball out of defence to Ash McGrath for the “Miracle on Grass” goal. He slipped a little against Hawthorn, but had a massive run home including a brilliant performance against the side that didn't want him (Port) and making his other bunny, Nick Riewoldt, have a few more nightmares. Solid performances against North, GWS, Richmond and Geelong also helped cement Joel as the continued King of the Jungle (Savannah?).

So, what's changed between 2012 and 2013? Attacking. Joel finished the season with the most marks of any Lions player (114) and the most intercept possessions (135). This means instead of spoiling and hoping that the opposition didn't get it, he's actually got the ball and can reload from the backline. That's not to say he's not spoiling any more, oh no, he's still up there having the most one-percenters (158) for the Lions, including the most spoils (140). He's also still the Lion who's spent the most time on the ground, being on the ground 93.9% of the time (and given the new interchange rules coming in, that's a bonus!). Halving his clanger count (25 down from 48 last year) and free kick against count (13 down from 26 last year) also helps. Just about every gripe I had with him last year he's managed to fix. Complacency early in the year hurt though (although he wasn't alone there) and he still needs to shake off his bogey opponents, but overall Joel Patfull took his best and blitzed it.

Next year Joel will have the opportunity to break Roger Merrett's record for the most games in the number 24 for the Lions in round 3. 164 games over 8 years is a great achievement in itself and a testament to Joel's durability and reliabilty. He's cemented his place in the Lions team (and Lions history) with his continued improvement and hopefully will be around to help take us to our next flag. Well done Joel, you deserve the rewards you have reaped. Now come back in 2014 and again make us wonder what all the fuss was about!

*may or may not have been a mark, but the umpire paid it anyway.

So, so, so, so, so, so, SO happy!

Admittedly my player sponsorship just got a hell of a lot more expensive, but I don't care! I'm thrilled to bits for Joel, even though it's not the head job it's still a huge responsibility and he'll do it well.

So, so, so, so, so, so, SO happy!

Admittedly my player sponsorship just got a hell of a lot more expensive, but I don't care! I'm thrilled to bits for Joel, even though it's not the head job it's still a huge responsibility and he'll do it well.
*top job

Let's be careful when just throwing words around the place you guys :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Inside Football Player Rating - BLvGCS - NAB Challenge 2.
5/10 – Dual best and fairest did what he had to down back. Hasn't set world on fire in pre-season.

-- Ben Casanella, Inside Football Thursday, February 27, 2014, Match Review BLvGCS
Well he has only played one game and Suns weren't exactly working the defenders too hard (except Dixon).

Brisbane Lions defender Joel Patfull continues to perform despite lack of acknowledgment
1 March 2014
Greg Davis

THE name is Patfull. Joel Patfull. And it is in the history books alongside Brisbane greats Michael Voss, Simon Black, Jonathan Brown and Jason Akermanis as a multiple winner of the Lions best and fairest award.

The 29-year-old Patfull has won the past two Merrett-Murray Medals, despite receiving just one Brownlow Medal vote across the 2012-2013 seasons.
He may not be a household name around the country but Patfull is held in the highest esteem at the Gabba. Capable of playing on hulking tall key forwards or goal sneaks, his athleticism, strength and running ability invariably sees him get the job done. Patfull’s deeds rarely make the highlights package but that does not dilute their importance.

He is still pinching himself about sitting alongside club greats in the history books. “There’s some big names there, isn’t there? It’s still a little surreal,’’ Patfull said. I don’t think it will really sink in until I’ve finished playing footy but it’s something I’m certainly very honoured by being on that list.

Patfull’s path to the top was not easy. Picked up by Port Adelaide Power in the 2003 rookie draft, Patfull spent another two years playing in the SANFL before being snared by Brisbane in 2005. “I learned the hard way what it took to play AFL footy. Unlike some blokes, it took me a while to figure out what was required,’’ Patfull said. “I still pride myself on working hard in the pre-season, to do everything I possibly can to get myself ready. “Leigh (Mathews) showed a lot of faith in me early. He didn’t know me or my history but he gave me a shot and kept playing me. “I had good, bad and indifferent games in between but he persisted with me and that helped me develop my game.’’

Firmly entrenched in Brisbane’s leadership structure for two seasons, Patfull is revelling in his role as a senior player.

Selling the concept of making Brisbane a long-term home to the club’s talented South Australian products such as Sam Mayes and James Aish is another task he has taken on. “There is a bond there among all the SA boys and it was great to see Mayesy recommit to the club last week,’’ he said. “I don’t think I would have ever played AFL footy if I stayed in Adelaide. It didn’t suit me. “Getting out of that bubble might be the best thing for them too. It could really set them up with great careers in the AFL.’’

346182-104d51c8-a111-11e3-b163-d60ea6e39be3.jpg

*fans self*

You've got one more Best and Fairest win in you Joelly, so get over it :)

Such a great article on Joey, it deserves a really like. Great to see him get some national recognition. A nomination for AA would top off a great career.

It would be nice, but I think the ultimate crowning achievement would be a premiership. Unfortunately it looks more and more likely that he won't get one :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back