AFL Club
GWS
Joel Patfull

PatfulArrivalPortrait.jpg

Height: 190cm
Weight: 90kg
D/O/B: 7/12/1984
Position: Defender

JOEL Patfull is officially a Giant after the official paper work was lodged on Friday to send the key defender from the Brisbane Lions to Greater Western Sydney. AFL.com.au reported on Thursday that the Lions and Giants had reached an in-principle agreement for the two-time Lions best and fairest winner to head to the Giants in exchange for pick No. 21.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-10/lions-defender-joel-patfull-completes-switch-to-gws

Last edited:

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2015-01-09/numbers-are-up

Defender Joel Patfull will continue wearing the number he played 182 games in at the Brisbane Lions, number 24. Patfull won two Brisbane club champion awards in the number in 2012 and 2013. Patfull also wore 24 for Norwood in the SANFL and was also the number his grandfather wore in his playing days. Number 24 became available when midfielder Jono O’Rourke was traded to Hawthorn.

As it should be.

Congratulations on 200 AFL games this weekend Joel

Our Lion-Hearted GIANT

Joel Patfull’s two years on the rookie list at Port Adelaide may not have got him an AFL debut, but it taught him what it took to make it in the AFL.

Port Adelaide has had a big connection to Joel Patfull’s career, yet he never stepped onto a football field in the teal and black.

Recruited on to the Power’s rookie list ahead of the 2003 season, the South Australian native thought his career was over when, at the age of 20, he was delisted by the Power after two seasons without a game.

He spent a year playing for Norwood in the SANFL before the Brisbane Lions threw him a lifeline and picked him up at selection 56 in the 2005 NAB AFL Draft.

Now, 11 years and 199 AFL games later, the 31-year-old is getting set for a big milestone.

“I’ve been around a little bit now, I started back in Adelaide and I think this is my 14th season around the AFL so it seems like it’s gone quickly but I’ve been here a while,” Patfull told GIANTS TV.

“From (being delisted) I probably learnt I had to work a lot harder than what I initially did when I was 18 or 19 years old. I got a pretty big reality check when I left Port and realised what I had to do to play AFL footy.

“Lucky enough I got a second chance, moved to Brissie, spent a bit of time up there and it just went from there.”

It’s ironic that it was against Port Adelaide when a 21-year-old Patfull finally made his AFL debut for Brisbane in round 8, 2006. It’s even quirkier that it’s against the Power again this weekend that Patfull will bring up his 200-game milestone; almost 13 years and two clubs later.

While he’s played 17 games for the GIANTS since arriving at the club during trade period ahead of 2015, it was at Brisbane where he made his mark with 182 AFL games and two club best-and-fairests.

“It was a big part of my life and really enjoyable, I made some great friends up there and have some great memories of the time I spent in Brissie,” he said.

“I couldn’t have been happier up there and I thank the club for the opportunity, they’re responsible for my career really.

“Now I’ve moved here and I’m really happy with how things are going and hopefully I can add to that 200 and get a few more.

“It was a hard decision to leave but I’m really happy with how it’s ended up and being involved with such a good footy club. I’ve played some good footy here and I feel like I’ve still got some good footy in me.

“With the way the team’s going, hopefully I can stay around for a bit and be part of some success.”

A broken collarbone suffered in a fall off a motorbike on day one of a surfing holiday in Bali meant Patfull was in restricted training when he returned to the club this pre-season. Then, a bruised heel required him to wear a moon boot up until Christmas and kept him out of another block of training.

But, the experienced defender didn’t let it affect him as he put himself right in the frame for round one. The coaches opted to go with youngster Caleb Marchbank for the first fortnight and it was an injury to the 19-year-old that opened up a spot for Patfull to return to the side for his first game of the season last weekend against the Swans.

“I had a few hiccups over pre-season which slowed me down and I was probably a little bit behind the eight-ball,” Patfull said.

“There were some guys that were playing some really good footy so it was hard to get a spot. Unfortunately ‘Marchy’ hurt himself and I was able to step in and fill that role.

“I think the back group we’ve got there is really good. There’s probably eight or nine guys who can roll through there and all play the same positions so it’s pretty competitive for spots and a good group to be part of.”

Patfull has played more AFL games than he ever expected, but he’s determined to show he still has plenty more to give, and more to achieve.

“Like every player, you play to play in finals and win Grand Finals so I think that’s my ultimate goal, to be part of that and be part of a winning team,” he said.

“But the journey along the way is what you enjoy as well."

Come on guys get around J Patz. Super glad he has made his 200th this weekend. One of my favs for a long time. Hard honest worker who will give his all.

Why did he want to move to Sydney? Think he'd make a good coach??

Why did he want to move to Sydney? Think he'd make a good coach??

Post football business opportunities apparently. So I think he may have something half lined up. Also heard the move had something to do with his partner - but then I heard later he was single so that factor may have changed (or been wrong from the start)

Not sure he wants to be a coach. No idea if he'd make a good one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back