Joel Selwood’s segment on concussion in footy

Remove this Banner Ad

deadlyvenom

Rookie
Aug 19, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Concussion continues to be one of footy’s biggest issues following a spate of retirements due to concussion issues including Heretier Lumumba, Brisbane’s Justin Clarke, Jonathan Brown and Matt Maguire.

It becomes quite a long process but one where you can see (whether) a player becomes anxious or is not able to participate any further in the game because it is a bit of a grilling that they’re giving you,”. The league is working closely with the Florey Institute and with former and current players to improve their understanding of concussion-related problems.

Do you think Joel has been impacted by the amount of concussions he has sustained?

Everyone's different.

In my experience boxing, i've definitely had times where i'm not mentally as sharp as i'd normally be.
Given what we see with footy players after retirement from the sport, I feel like it's a roll of the dice as to whether they experience long term effects.

Selwood has definitely taken a lot of contact.

The question isn't whether the head blows he has received have caused damage, that is an unavoidable side effect of it - something has been damaged. The question isn't even if that damage is significant enough to cause a noticeable change in Joel or an impact on his life.

The question is, does anybody truly care enough about the players lives after football that they would change the game, or the demands on the players who play it?

No. There is no room for soft footballers in AFL. All the rest of the discussion is pointless.

Clarkson made comments earlier in the year about Joel Selwood getting hit regularly. He got attacked by a defensive Chris Scott.

Then Joel Selwood agrees to a segment on the Footy Show showing highlights of his best hits, most stitches, and it is celebrated.

Something hypocritical there... not sure exactly what, but it is more than just Clarkson speaking out of turn.

I remember when I was in year 7 and I would s**t myself just for a minor presentation, red faced and all.

Not quite the same as love TV I know, but im sure if you do it more you get used to it. Don't think Joel really does those things too much and is a quiter person? Just nervs.

Quite a silly thread.

Did anyone see Joel Selwood on the footy show and think about brain damage? Or has Joel always been like this? he was definitely struggling to communicate his thoughts at various stages
Take it you've not heard Joel speak throughout his career, he was speaking like this when he was 18

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Light hits to the head due to raising elbow/ducking whatever you want to call it, isn't going to cause brain damage. Silly and tasteless thread but that seems like the standard for bigfooty.

Yeah I don’t mean them. I mean either boing knocked out or at least momentarily stunned. I’ve seen him cop hits like that and there’s been a rush to confirm he’s “not concussed”. Can’t help though.

Clarkson made comments earlier in the year about Joel Selwood getting hit regularly. He got attacked by a defensive Chris Scott.

Then Joel Selwood agrees to a segment on the Footy Show showing highlights of his best hits, most stitches, and it is celebrated.

Something hypocritical there... not sure exactly what, but it is more than just Clarkson speaking out of turn.
No. He got corrected by Scott.
He made an uninformed comment regarding how many concussions he’d suffered.

No. He got corrected by Scott.
He made an uninformed comment regarding how many concussions he’d suffered.

Fair enough.......Perhaps it was the media... but i thought there was an element of Clarko being accused of alarming friends or family of Selwood in a gratuitous way.

Queue Selwood to sue the AFL in ten years time when he's blown his dough and struggling to get a job.

1. The guy is intelligent, a great reader of the game, has made a LOT of money out of football and has an untarnished off-field image. I very much doubt he will be the sort of bloke who hasn't been smart enough to make smart decisions about his life after football. He will have invested wisely and he will be sought after from a lot of media outlets.

2. He's been concussed twice that we know of, and this in an era where the issue is treated very seriously. I wouldn't go firing that bullet just yet.

1) He seems to have always spoken with a natural drawl.

2) He’s not the sharpest bloke. Troy Selwood told a story about taking him on a trip up the mountains a couple of years back and Joel being fascinated by the ‘baby bears’ playing by the side of the road. Troy had to explain to him that they were actually Wombats.

Light hits to the head due to raising elbow/ducking whatever you want to call it, isn't going to cause brain damage. Silly and tasteless thread but that seems like the standard for bigfooty.
I take it you're not aware of the evidence coming out of the US about sub-concussive head knocks and changes in the brain then.

CTE is thought to be caused by these repeated head knocks too and is not just found in players who've received multiple diagnosed concussions.

(None of this is a comment on whether Selwood has "brain damage" based on whatever interview the OP saw)

Probbly because Clarko said Joel has had 20 concussion due to ducking , and Scott corrected your angry delusional midget ******* coach by pointing out that he had has 3 in his career and all non “ducking”related

But nah whatever suits your narrative

Remove this Banner Ad

Back