Toast Joel Selwood 250 games

Remove this Banner Ad

One picture just about sums him up.

o0gzzhbzb81z.jpg

Cut open courageously going back with the flight. Only to come back on later when many players would have been done for the night.

Just found my new Avatar, Thanks.

Such a courageous player, leader and Captain, how he puts his body on the line every week for the football club just astounds me! Don't think we will get anyone come close to him for a very long time to come once he's finished up. I just wish he could top off his career by becoming a premiership captain! no one deserves it more.

He's only ever ducked once. Against Carlton deep in the pocket a few years ago.

I've seen him duck on 5 other occasions - grand final day in 2007, 2009 and 2011 and twice after the 2009 night grand final - one for the night premiership medallion, and the other for the Michael Tuck Medal. ;)

Looking forward to the main board numpties with their usual drivel about Joel

Wouldn’t even bother going over there on game day, he’s been an absolute warrior for this club and will rightful be recognised as a AFL great when it’s all said and done.

The haters can go and please themselves

Been asking for video proof of his ducking for the last decade. Yet to receive some conclusive proof, which is weird since it's apparently so prevalent.

Its usually a good indication of how much quality some exudes by the amount of derision they receive from non supporters and opposition fans.

It would be great to think that his skill and ability would just be recognised and applauded for what it is... and it is by some...

But the noise of angst drowns out the noise a applause.

Seems like he's a gun.

And he is.
Different to the previous leaders of the club - not better or worse - just different. But never have I seen a more direct player consistently at the ball, harder and uncomprismising and skilled at the lifting the team to his back and dragging them along.

Its not everyones forte, but it's his.

Go Catters

With opposition supporters Selwood has to be the most maligned captain in years. This is a true feather in his cap, IMHO.

Absolutely! It's just fantastic the way Selwood gets under opposition fans' skin.

His ability to get going when we're behind, charging head on + dragging the team with him, is astounding!

One of my favourite comments was during a game, when Selwood's head was bleeding, then bandaged, a Geelong supporter said "Selwood is bleeding, can we call it now?"

One of the most stupid comments, from BT (wouldn't you know?) "Geez Selwood bleeds easily" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The other thing that amazes me about Selwood is all the crap he's subjected too, off the play, with no support from umpires, yet he rarely strikes back.

In fact, the more oppo fans malign Selwood, it appears to me, the better he is as a player.

Read an article recently, in which Selwood said his 2018 focus is to kick more goals. He is always trying to improve his game, so inspiring.

Absolutely! It's just fantastic the way Selwood gets under opposition fans' skin.

His ability to get going when we're behind, charging head on + dragging the team with him, is astounding!

One of my favourite comments was during a game, when Selwood's head was bleeding, then bandaged, a Geelong supporter said "Selwood is bleeding, can we call it now?"

One of the most stupid comments, from BT (wouldn't you know?) "Geez Selwood bleeds easily" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The other thing that amazes me about Selwood is all the crap he's subjected too, off the play, with no support from umpires, yet he rarely strikes back.

In fact, the more oppo fans malign Selwood, it appears to me, the better he is as a player.

Read an article recently, in which Selwood said his 2018 focus is to kick more goals. He is always trying to improve his game, so inspiring.
So many opposition supporters have written Selwood off just because his output towards the end of 2017 was compromised. Forget the fact he copped two reasonably serious injuries; it's easier for opposition supporters to rationalise by saying he is "past it".

So many opposition supporters have written Selwood off just because his output towards the end of 2017 was compromised. Forget the fact he copped two reasonably serious injuries; it's easier for opposition supporters to rationalise by saying he is "past it".
Yes, exactly right - "he copped two reasonably serious injuries" + Selwood probably returned too early for the Richmond Final, which was also Dangerfield's 200th game. He was reported as saying there was no way he would miss Danger's 200th.

Selwood said to the Addy about his career + Season 2018:
“I’ve enjoyed it. This is going into year number 12,” Selwood said of his pre-season.
“You do need to be tapped on the shoulder every now and then and be told to step back a little bit. But it’s also at a stage where I should know my body pretty well and what I need to do.”
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...n/news-story/db212967c73681f1a021f65a3dd50108

Such a courageous player, leader and Captain, how he puts his body on the line every week for the football club just astounds me! Don't think we will get anyone come close to him for a very long time to come once he's finished up. I just wish he could top off his career by becoming a premiership captain! no one deserves it more.
This.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Listening to Lonergan tonight on Open Mike he rates Selwood as the best player he's played with and that includes Ablett and Dangerfield. Just goes to show just how good a career this inspirational leader has had.

11 Seasons in the big time, thats an average of 22.63 games a season, amazing effort over such a long period and he is not even 30.

Congratulations to Selwood, amazing playing.

We've been absolutely spoiled with great players over the past 15 years but you'd be hard pushed to say any of them are more inspiring to their team and fans than Selwood. His competitiveness is second-to-none and he simply refuses to lose, even if we're in an unwinnable situation he still personally wants to win every contest he's in. I can only echo the plaudits others have lavished on him in this thread and the dream that he captain a Premiership before his career ends.

He's the best Geelong captain in my lifetime and when I asked my Dad how he'd rate Joel on those terms he replied: "It's not even close." He epitomises the term "heart-and-soul" player.

Just saw this on YouTube:

Turn the sound down.

WOW!!! Thank you for posting this video Daniel, just fantastic!

His goal in the game when Melbourne beat us in 2015 + then that mark in the goal square + goal against Port were sensational!

Joel must have a VERY hard head!

We've been absolutely spoiled with great players over the past 15 years but you'd be hard pushed to say any of them are more inspiring to their team and fans than Selwood. His competitiveness is second-to-none and he simply refuses to lose, even if we're in an unwinnable situation he still personally wants to win every contest he's in. I can only echo the plaudits others have lavished on him in this thread and the dream that he captain a Premiership before his career ends.

He's the best Geelong captain in my lifetime and when I asked my Dad how he'd rate Joel on those terms he replied: "It's not even close." He epitomises the term "heart-and-soul" player.

Wonderful post bigfarter, just great!

Courage and competitive a common theme....

Its not wrong but I think its a slight simplification of what Joel is . If you mark him on kicking or marking or speed , you will have him way down on the best you have seen so it must be something else , something a bit more subtle. Look at Stanley and you know immediately there is obviously more to be a player than raw talent. You have to know how and when to use it. And plenty of players are tough and courageous yet how many are Joel ...

To me when I look at talent V skill .. talent is god given and skill is developed yet what has developed in Joel is more like a Greg Williams type ability to read and play the game. Talent or skill?Not sure but its the ability to apply what he has got to its maximum , to know what to do at the right moment mixed with an ingrained football approach that is somewhere be Mr Joshua from Lethal Weapon and The Terminator ...

and if I were to paraphrase a T1 quote :..

Selwood is an infil-tration unit. Part man, part machine. Underneath, it's a hyperalloy combat chassis, mircoprocessor-controlled, fully armored. Very tough...but outside, he is living human tissue and does bleed. Flesh, skin, hair...blood.. He can't be reasoned with, he can't be bargained with... once he steps across the line he doesn't feel pity of remorse or fear...and he absolutely will not stop. Ever. Until he has you beaten ... and Geelong wins..

If you mark him on kicking or marking or speed , .
He has reasonable speed, is an excellent kick and his marking is also very good. Remember the mark he took against Hawthorn then deliver what was the winning pass to Hawkins against Hawthorn, or the mark running towards goal against Collingwood delivered by Menzel after he'd comprehensively beaten Dane Swan in round 24 of 2011, or the one in the square against Carlton? The list goes on. I could name all his pin-point foot passes too but I'd be here forever. ;)

Last edited:

This I totally agree with. With due respect to the two recent captains, they were handed the Golden Ticket...being the side we had. And they were great leaders. But Selwood carried us though times of s**t luck. Midfield in tatters, no ruck etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back