Universal Love Joel Selwood - 350 Games

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't, but I can tell you a little story about my Hawks uncle who decided to call me shortly after our selection to tell me they picked up a 300 game Champion who will dominate the AFL for 12 years while we picked an injury prone spud who only got a shot due to his brothers...

Yeah.. I like to remind him sometimes.

Who?

Still remember - I was at an Australia Day BBQ on the banks of the Yarra back in 2007. A mate's brother was talking up the new Geelong recruit - Joel Selwood. I though he was just talking him up because he was from Bendigo. In any case I was polite and said something along the lines of "I'll keep an eye out for him"

Almost from the start, Joel looked like a really good player. He fit in so well, and the first thing I noticed was his courage and ability to put the ball to the advantage of teammates.

Can't remember anything else about the BBQ that day but that conversation pops up in my memory time and again.

If we are purely talking about "contribution to Geelong", Selwood is head and shoulders above Gaz Jnr.

I loved watching the little champ play, it was exhilarating as hell, but Sel's contribution to the club trumps Gaz by a fair margin.
It really is a shame that we were deprived of having them play together during their peak, having the contested bull Selwood feeding off to the little master would have at the least netted us the 13 flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fox Footy did a nice tribute to the great man
Not sure why they aired it during the Freo V Demons game, but I'll take it

Last edited:
Best Geelong player this millennium and only two all time great defenders come close. I don’t care about the disloyal baldy

Iwatched those - thanks

But i reckon they missed one of his best bits of play - or one of my favourites

It was against the Swans at the SCG - im pretty sure Geel had a big comeback in the 3rd qtr - and right on the 3 qtr time siren - Geel went end to end - to score a fantastic goal ( Taylor Hunt ) - and that bit of inspiring play - Selwood had his hands all over it

Apologies if anyone else has mentioned it - ive only read the last page of the thread

as geelong do not get 11 out 22 at KP...it obviously would not be 50%..add finals..and that is the answer
Thanks Captain Obvious. That was the point of the tweet.
To highlight the BS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back