Roast Joel Selwood - A Cheat?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if he is a cheat, but he definitely loves to duck into tackles and run at players with his head still down, frustrated me and every Collingwood supporter at the ground to know end, it got to the point where you just expected free kicks to get awarded to him. Not his fault though, he is a good player who takes advantage of the rules, it is the umps that need to be onto it.

At least Leigh Brown buried him on one occasion, he is someone you wouldn't want to duck against as the big fella would probably snap your neck.

The player that annoys me the most though is Stevie J, he is a worse diver than didak, who for the most part hasn't really dived this year. The thing that stood out was when he dived from contact made by Didak himself. It didn't matter as Chapman got a goal anyway but it was still funny to see SJ make a fool of himself.

Definitely a cheat.

A player lands a fair tackle on him around the torso and he lets his legs go from under him allowing him to slide down and make contact with his head/neck on the tacklers arms.

It is cheating, cowardice and flog like all in one. Couldn't of been happier when he decided to try out some tough stuff on Beams in the last quarter in the wrestle and Beamsy put the little girl on the ground suitcase style. :thumbsu:

OK, we may be described as being 1 eyed & I have no issues with that.

But am I wrong / biased, but is Joel Selwood a cheat? He ducks his head & draws the freekick, which should not be awarded.

I wish injury on no one, but the awarding of free kicks to Selwood, is only going to promote injuries.

Is he a cheat?

Seriously gun footballer, but the umps have to wake up to it. Don't blame him for doing it if they keep giving him the frees.

Yeah I think it's a bit unfair calling him a cheat, he's not the one giving himself the free kicks. Sure I got frustrated but really if you take a step back and watch him play there's not too much to dis-like the way he goes about it.

Another cheating tactic Geelong employ is Ling continually holding his opponent off the ball. He held Pendlebury at least 5 times last nite & was only paid one freekick against him.

I watched his tactics closely & have no doubt that if Selwood was the one receiving the treatment, he would be hamming it up more than a soccer player at the WC.

But am I wrong / biased, but is Joel Selwood a cheat? He ducks his head & draws the freekick, which should not be awarded.

I wish injury on no one, but the awarding of free kicks to Selwood, is only going to promote injuries.

He's been getting away with it for ever. So IMO he is'nt a cheat. What it shows is that the umpires are hopeless. If they did'nt award him free kicks then he would stop doing it.

The Friday night match between scum 1(Carlton) and scum 2(Essendon) where Mitch Robinson ran head first into Hille and was awarded a free kick and Hille was reported is proof of how hopeless most of the umpires are.

Who is this Gellong you write of, back to school for you mate!!

Taking pot shots at type-o's - you are a superstar mate. Your clearly superior intellect makes a mockery of the rest of us.

It's the umpiring that has to change and they have to realise that it's Turtle Selwood initiating the head high contact.

I don't mind if they have their head over the ball and the tackle starts high, but when you are tackled fairly then Turtle Selwood ducks his head and slides his shouders through the tackle so his head is near the tacklers arms some leeway needs to be given. The tackler needs to be given some time to adjust his tackle, just like they are given some beneft of doubt when a player doesn't take full possesion of the ball.

Who is this Gellong you write of, back to school for you mate!!

Don't know about you country boys but in the big smoke we have this thing called question marks. Also I note a case of incorrect use of a comma there. If you're going to bag someone for something, you've got to know the ****ing basics junior.

Just got to love someone like Harry O's approach to winning the hardball.

He picks the ball up off the ground and immediately straightens up, turning his body sideways to protect his head, he then backs himself to take on any possible tacklers without trying to play for a free kick.

That's the difference between someone playing the game in the right spirit rather than trying to abuse the rules like Selwood.

He's not a cheat, it's his natural arc.

... of his neck...

... downwards before contact...

Like a turtle

Cmon photoshoppers selwoods head on a turtle can't be too difficult, thanks boys

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quick question. If someone like Dane Swan or Alan Didak did this, would you agree with them being accused of a cheat?

If they did it on the same occurance of Selwood, I'd take issue with it. Would you do the same if Kurt tried to do what he did in the dying stages of the 1SF every week?

Didaks diving and softness has been well criticised on this board, this is an area he has improved on though I should add, so its not as though we turn a blind eye towards our own players doing these types of things.

Even in this thread most people have said it is the umpires that need to change not Selwood, so don't try and play the hypocrisy card.

Gee the way you girls whinge you'd have thought that Geelong won last night. FFS you won, you should be enjoying that instead of hiding behind a computer screen, taking pot shots at a GUN player.

Gee the way you girls whinge you'd have thought that Geelong won last night. FFS you won, you should be enjoying that instead of hiding behind a computer screen, taking pot shots at a GUN player.

Tissue?

Want to see a whinger watch Joel whinge and moan to the umpires when they started correctly calling his turtle impression play on

I'm not sure what the inbred country hick town version of that paragraph is but I'm sure you and your wife/sister will get get it eventually

hiding behind a computer screen

Where would you like us to be if we are posting on bigfooty :confused:
This sentence can be used against anyone who has ever posted something about anyone on the internet ever.
I don't think players would appreciate it if fans started following them at training and at their homes telling them what they think which would be the alternative.

what about some humility instead of whacking an opposition player you grandstand muppets. you'd have him in your team in a flash if he was available.

It reminds me of the KB ruling which forever changed the holding the man, holding the ball interpretation. KB abused the rule and Selwood is doing the same. Make it simple-if you duck, drop your knees or head butt your opponents chest or knee it is PLAY ON regardless of high contact. That will put an end to the ducking and dropping to knees.

what about some humility instead of whacking an opposition player you grandstand muppets. you'd have him in your team in a flash if he was available.

Richmond supporter telling us about humility?

You get the irony right, next you'll be telling us how best to make the finals

This so called 'Turtle' will KILL you in the GF, cannot wait!!!!

If the umpires get sucked in then it will be the umpires who will cost us a grand final if we are to make it. You might not even make the grand final how can you be so confident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back