Joel Selwood - Just a good average player?

Remove this Banner Ad

You cut out the bit where I am explaining what the Tigers supporter posted. Just admit that you're wrong and move on, flog.

I respect Selwood as a player so you are nonsensical.

Yes, I did indeed edit out that part, in order to focus on the view that you offered at the end of the same post (the one you claimed not to have tabled).

You wrote 'The AA captaincy does indeed shows his reputation is great - but not necessarily deserved.'
Are they not your own words? Is that not your own opinion?

So, to re-cap - yes, I understand that you were white-knighting for some random Tigers supporter.
But you also typed out the sentence I quoted above, frog.

Yes, I did indeed edit out that part, in order to focus on the view that you offered at the end of the same post (the one you claimed not to have tabled).

You wrote 'The AA captaincy does indeed shows his reputation is great - but not necessarily deserved.'
Are they not your own words? Is that not your own opinion?

So, to re-cap - yes, I understand that you were white-knighting for some random Tigers supporter.
But you also typed out the sentence I quoted above, frog.
Gee whiz, we aren't getting anywhere here. My entire post is explaining the mistake that the Cats supporter had, conflating reputation and performance.

Even if I hadn't mentioned the Tigers supporter, my post is still true, and not a reflection of Selwood's performance (who I have said is a great player).

As I said, you are talking nonsense, and decided to go off half-cocked.

Gee whiz, we aren't getting anywhere here. My entire post is explaining the mistake that the Cats supporter had, conflating reputation and performance.

Even if I hadn't mentioned the Tigers supporter, my post is still true, and not a reflection of Selwood's performance (who I have said is a great player).

As I said, you are talking nonsense, and decided to go off half-cocked.

So then you agree that Selwood's reputation is both great and deserved? Golf?

I've stated my views (X3):

1) Selwood is a great player
2) The original cats poster completely misunderstood the post about reputation and conflated it with performance
3) You acted like a flog
Of course Selwood is a great player and captain but I think injuries are starting to catch up with him I dont think he will be playing AFL at 35 years old.

I've stated my views (X3):

1) Selwood is a great player
2) The original cats poster completely misunderstood the post about reputation and conflated it with performance
3) You acted like a flog
No I understood the post, but are you seriously suggesting that there’s merit to the idea that every single accolade Selwood had received during his time as captain is due to his overinflated reputation he received when he was younger? That’s why I reiterated that he’s a 3xAA captain. You really think that doesn’t have anything to do with performance?

No I understood the post, but are you seriously suggesting that there’s merit to the idea that every single accolade Selwood had received during his time as captain is due to his overinflated reputation he received when he was younger? That’s why I reiterated that he’s a 3xAA captain. You really think that doesn’t have anything to do with performance?

Forget it kidkenobi, you're more likely to get a straight answer from a politician than from him.
He does come up with some amusing and strikingly original insults though!

The post you responded to said he has an amazing reputation.

You responded saying no, he has an amazing reputation, look at 3xAA's! (sarcastically remarking reputation in tatters)

No-one had questioned his reputation. That is the point that you missed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's singlehandedly lifted his team over the line in many a game since their most recent flag in 2011, and is a key reason as to why they've continued to be a constant fixture in the finals series' since then instead of missing out on the top 8 altogether, whilst being the first player chosen to tag in that team (as he was last Friday night).
Singlehandedly lifted his team over the line with cameo performances from Ablett, Chapman, Bartel, Ling, Corey, Johnson, Enright, Kelly, Stokes, Duncan... :rolleyes:

The funny thing is.. there was a season there when Joel Selwood actually did have to "singlehandedly" carry the Geelong midfield. And didn't he struggle... This was just before Dangerfield joined... Ablett had long gone... Corey and Ling had both retired... Chappy had departed. Kelly, Bartel, Stokes and Stevie J had declined and were in their final season at Geelong. Mitch Duncan was injured and played just half the games.

Poor Joelie had no superstars for support. Only Guthrie, Motlop and Blicavs (on the wing)... Geelong finished 10th on the ladder and all the opposition attention focused squarely on Selwood, who became the main man in an ordinary midfield. He responded by having one of worst seasons. He never could handle being tagged. Luckily for him, Dangerfield was signed for the 2016 season and took up most of the opposition attention

Last edited:
The funny thing is.. there was a season there when Joel Selwood actually did have to "singlehandedly" carry the Geelong midfield. And didn't he struggle... This was just before Dangerfield joined... Ablett had long gone... Corey and Ling had both retired... Kelly, Bartel, Stokes and Stevie J had declined and were in their final season at Geelong. Mitch Duncan was injured and played just half the games.

Poor Joelie had no other superstars for support. Only Guthrie, Motlop and Blicavs (on the wing)... Geelong finished 10th on the ladder and all the opposition attention focused squarely on Selwood, who became the main man in an ordinary midfield. He responded by having one of worst seasons. He never could handle being tagged. Luckily for him, Dangerfield was signed for the 2016 season and took up most of the opposition attention

Yeah he really sucked. 13 contested possessions a game, virtual career highs for tackles, clearances, and virtually identical total touches per game to 8 other seasons.

Oh my he did battle.

It is genuinely amazing that his disposals per game dropped by a whole 1 per game when being tagged every week.

Most other players would have started having MORE touches in the same circumstances I’m guessing

Singlehandedly lifted his team over the line with cameo performances from Ablett, Chapman, Bartel, Ling, Corey, Johnson, Enright, Kelly, Stokes, Duncan... :rolleyes:

The funny thing is.. there was a season there when Joel Selwood actually did have to "singlehandedly" carry the Geelong midfield. And didn't he struggle... This was just before Dangerfield joined... Ablett had long gone... Corey and Ling had both retired... Chappy had departed. Kelly, Bartel, Stokes and Stevie J had declined and were in their final season at Geelong. Mitch Duncan was injured and played just half the games.

Poor Joelie had no superstars for support. Only Guthrie, Motlop and Blicavs (on the wing)... Geelong finished 10th on the ladder and all the opposition attention focused squarely on Selwood, who became the main man in an ordinary midfield. He responded by having one of worst seasons. He never could handle being tagged. Luckily for him, Dangerfield was signed for the 2016 season and took up most of the opposition attention
Lol eats away at you still doesn’t it backy.
As anyone who was watching knows, the main thing that stood between a hawthorn victory and loss for all of that wonderful 11 games record breaking streak was .... drum roll...JOELY.

Yeah he really sucked. 13 contested possessions a game, virtual career highs for tackles, clearances, and virtually identical total touches per game to 8 other seasons.

Oh my he did battle.

It is genuinely amazing that his disposals per game dropped by a whole 1 per game when being tagged every week.

Most other players would have started having MORE touches in the same circumstances I’m guessing
Beaten in Geelong's best and fairest by Motlop and Blicavs LOL :D and the Cats finished 10th on the ladder.
Really, it should've been his Brownlow season - no other superstars pinching any votes from him. But he could only poll 13 votes.

Selwood's yearly Champion Data ranking points avg:
  • 2007 - 77.3
  • 2008 - 98.2
  • 2009 - 110.8
  • 2010 - 117.8
  • 2011 - 111.5
  • 2012 - 117.4
  • 2013 - 118.4
  • 2014 - 120.9
  • 2015 - 104.5
  • 2016 - 110.8
  • 2017 - 102.2
  • 2018 - 105.0
Big drop off in 2015 when he had to "carry the team". He slipped from being a Top 5 rated player in 2013-14 to 25th in 2015

Champion Data 2015
  1. 128.1 - Todd Goldstein
  2. 122.1 - Nathan Fyfe
  3. 120.0 - Patrick Dangerfield
  4. 116.2 - Scott Pendlebury
  5. 115.5 - Gary Ablett
  6. 114.4 - Daniel Hannebery
  7. 113.4 - Dayne Beams
  8. 113.1 - Josh P. Kennedy
  9. 113.0 - Matthew Priddis
  10. 112.6 - Heath Shaw
  11. 111.8 - Brett Deledio
  12. 111.2 - David Mundy
  13. 111.1 - Luke Hodge
  14. 111.0 - Leigh Montagna
  15. 110.8 - Stefan Martin
  16. 110.4 - Robbie Gray
  17. 109.8 - Sam Mitchell
  18. 109.7 - David Armitage
  19. 107.5 - Aaron Sandilands
  20. 107.3 - Sam Jacobs
  21. 106.8 - Adam Treloar
  22. 106.4 - Callan Ward
  23. 105.9 - Dane Swan
  24. 105.7 - Shane Mumford
  25. 104.8 - Dyson Heppell
  26. 104.8 - Joel Selwood

Lol eats away at you still doesn’t it backy.
As anyone who was watching knows, the main thing that stood between a hawthorn victory and loss for all of that wonderful 11 games record breaking streak was .... drum roll...JOELY.
...and Ablett
....and Bartel
......and Chappy
.........and Johnson
............and Corey
..............and Lingy
.................and Ottens
...................and Enright
......................and Scarlett
.........................and Harry Taylor and Lonergan double-teaming Buddy

But yeah, sure... Selwood SINGLEHANDEDLY LIFTED his team to victory all those times

Whatever you reckon :thumbsu:

...and Ablett
....and Bartel
......and Chappy
.........and Johnson
............and Corey
..............and Lingy

But yeah, sure... Selwood SINGLEHANDEDLY LIFTED his team to victory all those times

You know it’s true backy- but good to see you can acknowledge it helps when a player has good footballers around.
And even more outstandingly, it didn’t matter how many times Hodgey, Osbourn, Mitchell, Lewis, Gibson...and co elbowed him in the head behind the play, or my personal fav the ruckman who stood on his head as he lay on the ground-that was a top effort-didn’t matter because Joely just got back up each time and redoubled his efforts to deny you a win. Champ. Good golly it was fun.

You're bringing up Jack Graham in a post labelling Selwood as overrated?

Brave stuff. If Jack Graham gets called anything more than a GOP he's been overinflated.

Joel Selwood was a young hard nut in one of the most successful teams in modern history.

As a result, I’m saying the media over-inflated his reputation at a young age (like they do for all successful players).

The reason I mentioned Graham was to illustrate how any young player could be viewed through rosy goggles due to a premiership.

Nobody is as good as they seem in a winning team, or as bad as they seem in a losing team.

Joel Selwood benefited from this effect to the absolute max.

Jon Brown did too.

Joel Selwood was a young hard nut in one of the most successful teams in modern history.

As a result, I’m saying the media over-inflated his reputation at a young age (like they do for all successful players).

The reason I mentioned Graham was to illustrate how any young player could be viewed through rosy goggles due to a premiership.

Nobody is as good as they seem in a winning team, or as bad as they seem in a losing team.

Jon Brown did too.
Let’s try and keep it simple and address the thread’s premise. A one word answer will suffice.
Do you think that Selwood is just a good, average footballer?

Jon Brown did too

I agree.

Beaten in Geelong's best and fairest by Motlop and Blicavs LOL :D and the Cats finished 10th on the ladder.
Really, it should've been his Brownlow season - no other superstars pinching any votes from him. But he could only poll 13 votes.

Selwood's yearly Champion Data ranking points avg:
  • 2007 - 77.3
  • 2008 - 98.2
  • 2009 - 110.8
  • 2010 - 117.8
  • 2011 - 111.5
  • 2012 - 117.4
  • 2013 - 118.4
  • 2014 - 120.9
  • 2015 - 104.5
  • 2016 - 110.8
  • 2017 - 102.2
  • 2018 - 105.0
Big drop off in 2015 when he had to "carry the team". He slipped from being a Top 5 rated player in 2013-14 to 25th in 2015

Champion Data 2015
  1. 128.1 - Todd Goldstein
  2. 122.1 - Nathan Fyfe
  3. 120.0 - Patrick Dangerfield
  4. 116.2 - Scott Pendlebury
  5. 115.5 - Gary Ablett
  6. 114.4 - Daniel Hannebery
  7. 113.4 - Dayne Beams
  8. 113.1 - Josh P. Kennedy
  9. 113.0 - Matthew Priddis
  10. 112.6 - Heath Shaw
  11. 111.8 - Brett Deledio
  12. 111.2 - David Mundy
  13. 111.1 - Luke Hodge
  14. 111.0 - Leigh Montagna
  15. 110.8 - Stefan Martin
  16. 110.4 - Robbie Gray
  17. 109.8 - Sam Mitchell
  18. 109.7 - David Armitage
  19. 107.5 - Aaron Sandilands
  20. 107.3 - Sam Jacobs
  21. 106.8 - Adam Treloar
  22. 106.4 - Callan Ward
  23. 105.9 - Dane Swan
  24. 105.7 - Shane Mumford
  25. 104.8 - Dyson Heppell
  26. 104.8 - Joel Selwood

So how do you explain how he was worse in 2017 according to your data then genius.

Oh, and by the way?

You've just tried to say that in his WORST season, he had one team and 3 players out of the entire 18 team competition and therefore about 500 players ahead of him.

Nah stellar argument

Fmd

...and Ablett
....and Bartel
......and Chappy
.........and Johnson
............and Corey
..............and Lingy

Lol. As if Lonergan and Taylor needed to double team buddy.

Lonergan did it singlehandedly repeatedly and Taylor even after playing as a 31-year-old forward the whole of last season towelled him up in the semi fina

Remove this Banner Ad

Back