Certified Legendary Thread Joel Selwood - Premiership Captain and 4 time Premiership Player

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know if he is the best available option - I suspect he'd be very good in the role though ..

I don't know is the short answer - might be odd for him to be coaching a playing group who were his peers just a year ago though?

Personally I think he'd do well to spend a little longer away from the club, apart from this year he's basically been entrenched at Geelong for his entire adult life.

Luke Shuey is doing it for West Coast after just retiring a few weeks ago. No reason to think we couldn't get Selwood back after 1 year.

Luke Shuey is doing it for West Coast after just retiring a few weeks ago. No reason to think we couldn't get Selwood back after 1 year.

Considering how WCE has been going the last few seasons, and with Shuey being captain during this recent period, I'm not sure that's necessarily a smart option from the WCE board - if anything, WCE needs to be getting fresh voices into that coaching group

I'm quite happy to not see Joel involved with the club in a football team capacity anytime soon, and instead allow him to gain knowledge in other areas, learn from different organisations or clubs, and if he decides in the future that he wants to move into a coaching capacity, consider it at that stage

Don't forget that Joel's already back at the club working in an off-field role, and that's something he may wish to move more into:

Selwood will be employed part time working across multiple departments across the Club, as ambassador and connector of key Club stakeholders and Geelong Football Club Foundation. Selwood will also play an active role with the Club’s Membership team, continuing to bring his Kardinia Spirit and care for our community to our members and fans.

Considering how WCE has been going the last few seasons, and with Shuey being captain during this recent period, I'm not sure that's necessarily a smart option from the WCE board - if anything, WCE needs to be getting fresh voices into that coaching group

I'm quite happy to not see Joel involved with the club in a football team capacity anytime soon, and instead allow him to gain knowledge in other areas, learn from different organisations or clubs, and if he decides in the future that he wants to move into a coaching capacity, consider it at that stage

Don't forget that Joel's already back at the club working in an off-field role, and that's something he may wish to move more into:

Selwood will be employed part time working across multiple departments across the Club, as ambassador and connector of key Club stakeholders and Geelong Football Club Foundation. Selwood will also play an active role with the Club’s Membership team, continuing to bring his Kardinia Spirit and care for our community to our members and fans.

IF our club thought Joel would be suitable for the role, then they would hire him regardless all that "outside club" experience or not.

Anyway, I just thought it was an idea since we have a vacancy. I think we could do worse then having Joel in the role if he wanted it, coaching our next generation of young mids.

That job profile doesn't sound like somebody preparing for a coaching career any time soon.

That job profile doesn't sound like somebody preparing for a coaching career any time soon.

I'm trying to think if he's shown even an inkling of looking to move in the coaching direction, or if it's tended to be more of an off-field area he's ventured towards

Then there's the question of why do "we" assume he'd make a good coach and is that swayed by him being such a good player & leader over a long period - is coaching the default next step we assume will happen even though it's often not the case?

We know he joined the Storm this season in a role that was called 'Leadership Coach', the description didn't exactly scream that traditional sort of coaching role & instead something that's a bit more rounded:

"Selwood hasn't been brought in to design plays or share any tactical nous. Instead, his one-day-per-week leadership role will involve him mentoring the current and future leaders of the club."

I wouldn't be surprised if rather than a traditional coaching role, Joel found himself in more of a mentor type role - whether with an AFL club, or maybe even at a lower level such as within the TAC Cup or AFL Academy program. That seems something of the direction he's taken this year, and that we also saw from him as captain when working with the younger players at the club

I got the impression the job he's doing with the club was more of a temp while he makes up his mind about what the next chapter will be. Perhaps the temp coaching/ mentoring role at Storm is the same. Reckon he'd be great in the players development space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back