Roast Joel Selwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Can you do us all a favour and take some of your own advice ?
Maybe he should head down to cold rock and mix some smarties through icecream like Guthers if he wants some extra $$......

Then again that gets criticised around here too...

Agree catman2006, we need an enforcer. That is why we need the older players playing on they know how to do that. Mind you when Johnson did it in the Port game it may not have won support on this board.
Where is Rooke when we need him, perhaps his coaching job is to teach enforcement

Agree catman2006, we need an enforcer. That is why we need the older players playing on they know how to do that. Mind you when Johnson did it in the Port game it may not have won support on this board.
Where is Rooke when we need him, perhaps his coaching job is to teach enforcement

Honestly don't think enforcers exist in the modern game.

Caddy has that potential.
T Hunt was ok at a bit of physicality while close checking, but....
Kelly was always good for "subtle" protection; we will miss him as we do this year already.
We just need some time to develop what we have. Gregson is already a beauty at tackling and chase downs, and surely he'll become an inside mid.

Enforcers are the leaders on the ground the ones who go up and give lip to the opposition, are the first to pull their players up, to throw the opposition player off one of their own, to take someone on. to tackle so hard that it hurts the opposition. Perhaps we have young ones who will do it, perhaps not.

Enforcers are the leaders on the ground the ones who go up and give lip to the opposition, are the first to pull their players up, to throw the opposition player off one of their own, to take someone on. to tackle so hard that it hurts the opposition. Perhaps we have young ones who will do it, perhaps not.
Rooke, Ling, Kelly, Scarlett, Mooney, Milburn......
Bews snr, Ablett snr, Buddha, Stoneham....
Card, ......
Devine, Rosenow.......?
Selwood himself.
The Geelong Enforcers- any +'s or -'s?

Paul Jeffries?
Loved his playing style- fearless marking ; Goggin rated him highly, may have been the enforcer role.
Goggin really rated Mark Bos pre his knee injury- best tackler in the comp at that stage.

Loved his playing style- fearless marking ; Goggin rated him highly, may have been the enforcer role.
Goggin really rated Mark Bos pre his knee injury- best tackler in the comp at that stage.

Bos was a cracker, he and mark yeates on either side of jack Hawkins at half back - what a combination. I don't remember Jeffries as an enforcer, but loved his high flying pack chest marks as a kid. Add in Gary malarkey at full back and that's a pretty impressive defence. I guess that one or the other of the nankervis brothers might have been filling the other back pocket also, at least in the early part of the 80s.

Caddy has that potential.
T Hunt was ok at a bit of physicality while close checking, but....
Kelly was always good for "subtle" protection; we will miss him as we do this year already.
We just need some time to develop what we have. Gregson is already a beauty at tackling and chase downs, and surely he'll become an inside mid.
I thought Guthrie went OK in a couple of games in the middle last year- I recall him giving a bit of push and shove when Selwood was getting mauled. Unfortunately there aren't too many of the boys who can actually look out for another teammate while concentrating on their own game right now. Hopefully that will come as they gain experience but I'd rather that they played their own game first before trying to get involved in the push and shove that can distract them from following the game plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Guthrie went OK in a couple of games in the middle last year- I recall him giving a bit of push and shove when Selwood was getting mauled. Unfortunately there aren't too many of the boys who can actually look out for another teammate while concentrating on their own game right now. Hopefully that will come as they gain experience but I'd rather that they played their own game first before trying to get involved in the push and shove that can distract them from following the game plan.
Guthrie, for sure would do that. But lacks in the physical intimidatory component.

He had two weekends off then. Do you say players have a week off every week as they don't play for 7 days

Two weekends is what he needed. I thought he looked better on the weekend. In all likelihood he's got a busted hand as well as the leg injuries that slowed him down pre season.

Unfortunately he now gets another weekend off so hopefully he's back to brilliant for the last 2 months.

He had two weekends off then. Do you say players have a week off every week as they don't play for 7 days

Two weekends is what he needed. I thought he looked better on the weekend. In all likelihood he's got a busted hand as well as the leg injuries that slowed him down pre season.

Unfortunately he now gets another weekend off so hopefully he's back to brilliant for the last 2 months.
Usually a week between games, yes. We don't play like the EPL.
Then an extra 2 weekends.
I get what you mean, but that should be ample.
Now another, but he may contest given Wright's evidence.
Sammy is a top fellow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back