Toast Joel Selwood

Remove this Banner Ad

If any bloke could try and carry 21 others its him.

Just a machine. And he looked gutted after the game.

GUTTED.

You could almost read his mind, staring at the floor thinking"
WTF else do I have to do - I cant give any more personally, I have the best MF in the game next to me doing the same but the drop off to the next person is too far.

I reckon if I was a GFC player with more than 40 games experience ( its unreasonable to expect under 40 gamers- some in their first PF to handle it too well) i would not be able to look Sel or PFD in the eye this offseason.

There is a lot of either growth or plateauing that id gonna happen - and it might be ugly for a period too - but SEL as the skip needs to drag these blokes psychologically higher - not physically - into building that 07 like belief, commitment and self sacrifice that they need.

Granted, its not on Sel to do that alone, and he should get examined to - but where Harley brought the group together and led, Sel can do the same.

What a players he is.

GO Catters

I thought Dangerfield was clearly our best player last night. Unlike Selwood when the game was there to be won (1st quarter), it was Dangerfield who simply bullied his way through everything. Selwood eventually began to catch up as Mitchell tired but Selwood was terrible, like 20 of his other teammates in the opening term. It's sad but Selwood's career will be reminiscent of Jonathan Brown's career at Brisbane. Started off playing in grand finals galore and then never came close to it again after his 24th birthday. It's brutal because we have the list and potential but the coaches have literally pissed it down the drain and champions like Enright, Bartel, Selwood, Dangerfield will never get another chance again.

Um, yeah, Brown played in 1 finals series after the 4th grand final. And I think they went out in week one.

Selwood has played in an additional 4 already including two prelims and has at least 4-5 seasons left in hum.

I thought Dangerfield was clearly our best player last night. Unlike Selwood when the game was there to be won (1st quarter), it was Dangerfield who simply bullied his way through everything. Selwood eventually began to catch up as Mitchell tired but Selwood was terrible, like 20 of his other teammates in the opening term. It's sad but Selwood's career will be reminiscent of Jonathan Brown's career at Brisbane. Started off playing in grand finals galore and then never came close to it again after his 24th birthday. It's brutal because we have the list and potential but the coaches have literally pissed it down the drain and champions like Enright, Bartel, Selwood, Dangerfield will never get another chance again.
Disappointed with the result Friday night...he'll yeah, but to be critical of Selwoods game is the sad part you speak of. Do Geelong have to win the flag to enjoy and be proud of your club? There are 18 teams, they are hard to win. I think some of us have become quite precious over the past ten years. Watching Ablett Snr every week as a young lad is still my favourite football memory. Better than all the recent premierships. Watching Joel Selwood week in week out in our colours just bloody makes me proud.

What a bloody stupid post.

Hang your head in shame.
Selwood has been knocked ( and sometimes fairly) for not breaking a tag.
He busted Mitchell open. Mitchell didn't tire.

Selwood was bog. The guy is a dead set star.

Whats it like knowing the outcome of the next six or seven grand finals?

Absolute marvel. Doesn't care how tough it get he just keeps on going.
Deadset champion. Kept us in it tonight when it was getting tough, others jumped on later when the saints tired.

One of his best games today, and having a very bloody good start to the year.

Would have a few Brownlow votes so far

360838_a3effc3e190049b5055a59b939904f95.JPG

This guy just wins us games. The amount of times he takes the game on when its in the balance, and just motivates the playing group with heroic efforts is a statistic that is just not measured, but I know one thing for sure, he would lead that statistic (*if it could be measured) in the competition by a long mile. He is the best Captain we've had by a long way, and I've been watching the Cats since the 1980s.

This guy just wins us games. The amount of times he takes the game on when its in the balance, and just motivates the playing group with heroic efforts is a statistic that is just not measured, but I know one thing for sure, he would lead that statistic (*if it could be measured) in the competition by a long mile. He is the best Captain we've had by a long way, and I've been watching the Cats since the 1980s.

beautifully said.
he knows how to win games of football.
I'd love him to win a flag as our captain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mighty game Joel. Thank you.
Dangerfield, to be fair, is getting practically knocked out every week-probably shouldn't have played today.
With Joel and Mitch amassing the possessions and GHS, Murda, Cocky, and Lang playing 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th fiddle, perhaps we can now afford to rest Danger........then again, stupid idea. Maybe just play him up forward more until he is recovered.

With Joel and Mitch amassing the possessions and GHS, Murda, Cocky, and Lang playing 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th fiddle, perhaps we can now afford to rest Danger........then again, stupid idea. Maybe just play him up forward more until he is recovered.
Yep, not a bad idea. Or when Mengelola and parsons are back-GHS can't go out, so good problem.

That's the good thing about banking these wins early on. We can afford to give guys like him, Selwood, Menzel and possibly even Hawkins later in the year if they need it.

He's had a better start to the year than Dangerfield. As far as dragging his team over the line, Joel has been one of the competition's best for most of his career.
Sure has. For a long time we were too solely reliant on him. Great now that we have at least a couple to support him.

No matter how hard you hit him he just gets back and plays even better.
Crowd booes him he just plays better.
If the chips are down he just plays better.
After all the hits he's copped I can't remember anyone making him spend more than 10 minutes off the field. (That includes being knocked out once in a Hawks game).
So many players look like champions when things are going well but the real legends lift when they are needed the most.
No-one else you'd want playing for your club let alone captain it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back