Toast Joel Selwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Effing paywall

Go Catters

Inspirational Geelong captain Joel Selwood has made a six-figure sacrifice in the final years of his contract to help the Cats land superstar free agent Jeremy Cameron.

The star onballer remains one of the Cats’ most important players but is on a modest contract worth about $550,000 this year to help Geelong balance its books...

...Champion spearhead Tom Hawkins is another who is on a mid-range salary at Geelong of about $600,000 despite playing career-best football over the past two seasons.

Hawkins is on track to receive his third-straight All-Australian selection and his selflessness and creative ruck work have been hailed by the Cats as a key to their goal scoring power.

Super-consistent defenders Mark Blicavs and Tom Stewart are also on about $600,000 in reward for their continued elite efforts and reliability in the back half.

Midfielder Cameron Guthrie is also on about the same wage as he looks to receive an increase this year as a free agent. Guthrie is in career-best form and has emerged as a vital midfield cog at Geelong, forcing the club to find more salary cap room to accommodate his sharp rise.

It really goes to show that one of the most important factors in this run of sustained success, but infrequently recognised, is being able to maintain a disciplined TPP and selfless senior players.

Interview with Dwayne yesterday. A few topics raised.
Open to playing on next season if things align.

"Had a week off in round 4, I will through out the season as planned have more games off through the year. So you know whether that looks like I'll play next year or even the year after will just be up to the body, and where the club is heading too. We've always been of that understanding.... [skipped]... The place is a lot bigger than the individual"

Interview with Dwayne yesterday. A few topics raised.
Open to playing on next season if things align.

"Had a week off in round 4, I will through out the season as planned have more games off through the year. So you know whether that looks like I'll play next year or even the year after will just be up to the body, and where the club is heading too. We've always been of that understanding.... [skipped]... The place is a lot bigger than the individual"
If body, form and club say play on, Selwood should play on.

He has been, and continues to be, an outstanding member and leader at our club.

They just don't come around that often, and we should get all we can from what he is willing to give.

If body, form and club say play on, Selwood should play on.

He has been, and continues to be, an outstanding member and leader at our club.

They just don't come around that often, and we should get all we can from what he is willing to give.
Joel keen to play on the year after next, yay! 👏👏👏👏

I tell you what - in the last qtr against Nth Melb - that Geel midfield looked very vanilla

Danger cant come back quick enough
Do you think they took the foot off the pedal a bit after a big 3Q effort? I didn't see last Q.
I always used to think how a team finished last Q is how they started the next week, but that is not necessarily so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back