Toast Joel Selwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Wtf?! Geelong has finished top 2 on the ladder 8 times in the past 11 years. We are on top and miles ahead of everyone else in the ladder of the past 10 years.
We've missed so many gettable grand finals since 2011 mate. Cook the stats however you want. We've been the biggest chokers of the last 7 years. I love the club and always will. But we've made an absolute meal of the latter part of Joel's career.

We've missed so many gettable grand finals since 2011 mate. Cook the stats however you want. We've been the biggest chokers of the last 7 years. I love the club and always will. But we've made an absolute meal of the latter part of Joel's career.
2013 - Varcoe cost us. If Enright and Chappy played we win. And then beat Freo.

2016 - only side the Dogs didn't beat, if Sydney didn't humiliate us we would've beaten them.

2017 - Choke against Richmond albeit didn't get a genuine home ground advantage. Playing at Etihad would've been fairer. Had we won we would've had the cakewalk entry to the GF that Richmond had. Would've beat the Crows this week as it's in Melbourne.

I feel so sorry for Joel sticking with us for no benefit whatsoever. If anyone says that Joel Selwood has benefitted from staying loyal for much less cash than he could have gotten elsewhere is ludicrous and indefensible. Should have went to GWS for financial gain like Callan Ward. He would've been offered more than Tom Scully too.

At least they may win a premiership next year.

2013 - Varcoe cost us. If Enright and Chappy played we win. And then beat Freo.

2016 - only side the Dogs didn't beat, if Sydney didn't humiliate us we would've beaten them.

2017 - Choke against Richmond albeit didn't get a genuine home ground advantage. Playing at Etihad would've been fairer. Had we won we would've had the cakewalk entry to the GF that Richmond had. Would've beat the Crows this week as it's in Melbourne.

I feel so sorry for Joel sticking with us for no benefit whatsoever. If anyone says that Joel Selwood has benefitted from staying loyal for much less cash than he could have gotten elsewhere is ludicrous and indefensible. Should have went to GWS for financial gain like Callan Ward. He would've been offered more than Tom Scully too.

At least they may win a premiership next year.

I don't like the opinions of complete capitalists. There is so much reward in what Joel has done. Other then being a premiership player what other accolade hasn't he earned?

He's always been Geelong supporter (even before his career). He now Captains the club, he's been apart of the biggest success era in our history and a key player in it. He's established and strengthened a club culture that has seen the city and Kardinia Park prosper. A decorated player on and off the field in terms of values and leadership.

To much emphasis on money, as soon as money is involved in sport it takes all the fun away. Maybe Joel just like Dangerfield is there for the lifestyle and to leave a legacy far greater then the weight of the hip pocket $$$.

I don't like the opinions of complete capitalists. There is so much reward in what Joel has done. Other then being a premiership player what other accolade hasn't he earned?

He's always been Geelong supporter (even before his career). He now Captains the club, he's been apart of the biggest success era in our history and a key player in it. He's established and strengthened a club culture that has seen the city and Kardinia Park prosper. A decorated player on and off the field in terms of values and leadership.

To much emphasis on money, as soon as money is involved in sport it takes all the fun away. Maybe Joel just like Dangerfield is there for the lifestyle and to leave a legacy far greater then the weight of the hip pocket $$$.
What club culture? It's gone down the shitter the past 5 years with pea-hearted efforts, lacklustre finals and massive egos entering matches expecting to win. Now we are bowing out of finals like old times. Seems like the Geelong of old, the Geelong before my time.

Selwood would have won the 2013 Brownlow if he was at GWS but that's about it. I have the utmost respect for him however feel bad for him. But if he can look back on the last half of his career without regret, then I'll respect him more.

What club culture? It's gone down the shitter the past 5 years with pea-hearted efforts, lacklustre finals and massive egos entering matches expecting to win. Now we are bowing out of finals like old times. Seems like the Geelong of old, the Geelong before my time.

Selwood would have won the 2013 Brownlow if he was at GWS but that's about it. I have the utmost respect for him however feel bad for him. But if he can look back on the last half of his career without regret, then I'll respect him more.

Club culture extends off the field mate. Think of what the club brings to the Community, these guys are leaders and role models whether they like it or not. How often do you here Geelong under scrutiny, were a decorated club with really good character. Listening to Walker on triple M Saturday gave you an insight of how footy clubs are built. He specifically said they drafted character over talent because it's not all about what happens on the footy field but intangible benefits.

I'm highly doubtful Selwood would ever look back on his career and say I failed. We've been starved of high picks for a decade and still remain up the top. We've bucked a trend that every other premiership club in the last 10 years (bar Sydney) has endured.

We can get lost in all the money talk, but if you think multi million dollar deals are good for clubs you're kidding yourself. Martins deal at Richmond will bite them on the ass for 7 years.

Club culture extends off the field mate. Think of what the club brings to the Community, these guys are leaders and role models whether they like it or not. How often do you here Geelong under scrutiny, were a decorated club with really good character. Listening to Walker on triple M Saturday gave you an insight of how footy clubs are built. He specifically said they drafted character over talent because it's not all about what happens on the footy field but intangible benefits.

I'm highly doubtful Selwood would ever look back on his career and say I failed. We've been starved of high picks for a decade and still remain up the top. We've bucked a trend that every other premiership club in the last 10 years (bar Sydney) has endured.

We can get lost in all the money talk, but if you think multi million dollar deals are good for clubs you're kidding yourself. Martins deal at Richmond will bite them on the ass for 7 years.
I can't really disagree with this post, one of the best on here. But Sydney don't deserve the plaudits we do as they've had benefits that we or no other team has had.

I'm not sure about the choker allegation,I do how ever think Hawthorn read the situation better than anyone else and picked up some easier than normal flags with intelligent trading,our list management in the same time frame you mention with the exemption of perhaps the last 2 years has a lot to be critical of.we moved good players out,traded in spuds,collected and saved injury prone players,and unbalanced the list with an over supply of talls of the same type.

You have no way of knowing that. It's going to attract and keep a metric crapton of memberships for one thing.

As multi million deals are so nefarious, what about Dangerfield? Same for him, or is that one ok?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have no way of knowing that. It's going to attract and keep a metric crapton of memberships for one thing.

As multi million deals are so nefarious, what about Dangerfield? Same for him, or is that one ok?

Well that's true, one can only predict and make an informed decision. Richmonds list is young with a lot of youth that will only ask for more money.

In comparison to the Danger deal we're comparing a player who has signed for 1.2m a season and one on a reported 850k. Geelong and Hawthorn are known to not pay (contractually) overs, meaning we can make supplementary plays for more talent in the FA and trade period. I'm doubtful Richmond will be very active this season

Ladder positions mean f all. Only premierships and grandfinals count.
Other than that the ladder positions are required to make the finals....

GO Catters

I think he needs to play a less inside role. Keep Danger in the guts, give more responsibility to Menegola and Scoot. Let Joel read the play, provide generalship and use vision and game nous that guys like Murdoch or Kolo don't have. If the first centre bounce of 2018 has Smith, Danger, Scoot and Menegola in the square and Joel and Duncan on the wings then I'm a happy man.

Means to an end. But if you dont get the ends you may as well finish bottom and earn good draft picks for the future.

And then we'll complain about those draft picks and how they should've been other players. And if they aren't developing as we would've liked then we may as well finish bottom and earn good drafts picks again for the future that we may not even get right and have success with.

And then we'll complain about those draft picks and how they should've been other players. And if they aren't developing as we would've liked then we may as well finish bottom and earn good drafts picks again for the future that we may not even get right and have success with.
Possibly. Fixing one mistake doesnt mean you wont make other mistakes. The world isnt binary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back