Toast Joel Selwood

Remove this Banner Ad

835f5344fe9b22c98ebab6622f4e9b03.jpg

These would be the only toys Mr and Mrs Selwood purchased on birthdays and Christmases.

I despise Wayne Carey as a human being but he does seem astute when it comes to football analysis and he said Selwood is the best Captain he has ever seen. I agree. I feel inspired watching him and I think his presence is what makes us supporters so disappointed when the others don't appear to give their all. There's been nobody who has bled and recklessly thrown themselves into perilous situations like this guy does. He's a wonder to behold and an absolute joy to watch on a weekly basis. Jimmy and Enright and Joel Corey were locked in as my favourite players a few years ago but Selwood is just something else. I sound like Bruce McAvaney but he's a FORCE on the field. If Geelong ever have another Captain that leads the way he does we'll be bloody lucky.

I despise Wayne Carey as a human being but he does seem astute when it comes to football analysis and he said Selwood is the best Captain he has ever seen. I agree. I feel inspired watching him and I think his presence is what makes us supporters so disappointed when the others don't appear to give their all. There's been nobody who has bled and recklessly thrown themselves into perilous situations like this guy does. He's a wonder to behold and an absolute joy to watch on a weekly basis. Jimmy and Enright and Joel Corey were locked in as my favourite players a few years ago but Selwood is just something else. I sound like Bruce McAvaney but he's a FORCE on the field. If Geelong ever have another Captain that leads the way he does we'll be bloody lucky.

As I just posted on the mb thread, I actually get a bit emotional watching him play at times. What he puts himself through to win a possession and get the clearance to a team mate only for a team mate fumble it and make him have to go again.

Over a 40+ year period of watching the Cats, there was nothing more thrilling than watching Snr play and there's been nothing more inspiring than watch Joel play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone loves him. He's undoubtably the toughest player of the past ten years.
Lethality loves him, A Cut Above loves him, Dinsdale , TazHawk15 , 11sjw , Nuggets73 , Cyrilyouchampion everyone loves and respects the great man.
Silly silly man, now way Squawk reads this. He's logged out until their next win.

As for the toast. Spot ******* on Nakia he cops s**t from the main board mouth breathers for ducking (yawn) but goes lower and harder than everyone in the league.

More than once tonight went back with the flight in a marking contest. First cut him open, the second hit him on the stitches. Didn't flinch. Most courageous and hardest player in the game.

Some may have better "better value" given the pick used but Joel Anthony Selwood is Wells' best draft selection bar none, the fact that in his eagerness to select him (amazed that 6 clubs overlooked him :eek: ) that he proceeded to stutter and stumble reading out his number ID speaks volumes. Wells knew he had a champ on his hands.

IMG_0489.JPG

Does that look like the gash that a man who ducks would get? The gash of a man with enough courage for 5 players.

Also credit where it is due to Hodgey:

Last edited:
Selwood is a special case, for mine. Pure opinion here, but I think he's pathologically competitive. Take for example, the interview with BT between him and his brother. Even in that context, after a huge win, they couldn't help but have digs at one another. Joel always wears a look of contempt and disgust following losses. I actually think his competitiveness is one of the reasons he's taken things to a new level this year - the arrival of Dangerfield. Selwood has been unrivalled for a long time as the best midifielder in our side. Then Dangerfield comes to the team - what would a guy like Selwood be thinking? In my opinion, he'd be thinking that he needs to find another gear to remain worthy of his captaincy.
Motivations aside, I love the guy. He'll stop at nothing to get his team over the line week in, week out. Gets battered every week and continues on. Fearless, mentally strong, skilled and committed. Everything you need in a captain.

Selwood and Danger have both raised each others game. Selwood is putting in a career best season and Danger is a much better player than what he was at Adelaide

He's an absolute star and week by week raises his status among Geelong greats, not quite sure where he sits at the moment but it's close to the top.

I get frustrated when others don't put in because they are letting him down. It's hard to watch sometimes when he's busting a gut and we're not performing.
Just posted something similar on game review thread.

Reckon he is right near the top

Remove this Banner Ad

Back