Johann Wagner

Remove this Banner Ad

The `Recruit ' was a typical reality tv circle jerk, which definitely clouded my opinion of Michael Voss, and any coaching aspirations he may have had, and the way the Power midfield was set up in numerous games this past season definitely didn't help me improve my opinion of him, but next year is a new ball game, so let's see if there is an improvement.

Re Wagner, there are 100's of footballers at various levels of the game who can look good in training drills etc, but can't get the ball in a match situation, and he is unfortunately just another of them.

The `Recruit ' was a typical reality tv circle jerk, which definitely clouded my opinion of Michael Voss, and any coaching aspirations he may have had, and the way the Power midfield was set up in numerous games this past season definitely didn't help me improve my opinion of him, but next year is a new ball game, so let's see if there is an improvement.

Re Wagner, there are 100's of footballers at various levels of the game who can look good in training drills etc, but can't get the ball in a match situation, and he is unfortunately just another of them.
Yep, I just put emotion into this a bit too much :/. Ive met him a few times, seems like a good bloke but it's for the good of the team really. And I'm sure he will get picked up by another team so no real loss I guess.

If anyone is a fan of the recruit or Yoey. Then you will be happy to know he is going to be in the recruit season 2! Cant wait! :)

I really don't see the point? We and everyone else knows he wont make it on an AFL list.

I mean good for him, but I don't see the point where even if he did win I think every other team has seen enough of him to know he isn't going to make it.

I really don't see the point? We and everyone else knows he wont make it on an AFL list.

I mean good for him, but I don't see the point where even if he did win I think every other team has seen enough of him to know he isn't going to make it.

Maybe he means as 'staff'. I'd rather listen to him than Ben Dixon.

What was the issue with Wagner and why wasnt he good enough?

From the contestants in the show he seemed a clear standout, was the rest of the competition just so poor or will the concept just never work?

Young kids have every opportunity to be exposed through the junior development pathways and i find it unrealistic that someone who is so off the radar they are not playing atate based football could then go onto becoming an AFL standard player. The only exception might be some of the indigenous boys, code hoppers or internationals.

Would like to see him get one more chance though. If he attacks and finds the ball i could see him being a pretty good player. But thats if really.

From the contestants in the show he seemed a clear standout, was the rest of the competition just so poor or will the concept just never work?

Young kids have every opportunity to be exposed through the junior development pathways and i find it unrealistic that someone who is so off the radar they are not playing atate based football could then go onto becoming an AFL standard player. The only exception might be some of the indigenous boys, code hoppers or internationals.
He was getting piss all touches per game so itd be hard to even spot him some games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

.... From the contestants in the show he seemed a clear standout, was the rest of the competition just so poor .......
I believe that is the answer. How many of the contestants, other than Joey, have been drafted/rookied by AFL clubs before or since?

He was like every SANFL-level player. Had one or two solid attributes that saw him ascend to the second-tier in the first place - had previously played a couple of games with Central District - but didn't have the full package required to be an AFL player.

It was a cool story and I was glad he came to us but in 2016 this kind of thing will never work unless it's a 7 foot ruckman or something. The development pathways and scouting is too good. If you haven't been in the system as a kid, you're probably not getting there.

I'd love to see one of these full of athletic 7 foot US college athletes or similar, but otherwise I just don't see a kid from a country town suddenly being good enough for AFL footy.

I remember reading that it if you made the post run to the g with bricks cut you couldn't apply this time

Cameo episode

Did any of the other entrants from the last one go on to play SANFL/VFL/WAFL etc?

dvh4e0.png

Wheeling old khents from the gate to the plane > suiting up for Norwood

Credit: Ray Titus NuriootpaTigers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back