News John Barker resigns - Post #447

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Seems like regardless of his performance as a line coach, he is rewarded...was even in contention for our senior gig at one stage?

My perception is that every club and every position he touches gets worse. Is this an unfair assessment?

If you have evidence to the contrary please speak up.

I want him gone for good.

Edit:

You want proof? I havent kept records for him, but what stands out is:

Forwardline coach at hawks: terrible
He leaves: suddenly great

Forwardline coach at blues: terrible

I guess he appears to be a serviceable overall coach (did ok as interim) so big picture motivation i guess hes ok.

Other than that, more knowledgeable people than me would know...which line coach role has he done well in?

Last edited:
can you elaborate on his roles, and how they have changed over the years, and how the fortunes of each area he has been involved with has changed in his time in that role as well? i recall this coming up from time to time. we've given guys like brad green the boot but barker stays.

not saying you're wrong, but we're second last and have spent the past few seasons entrenched in the lower third of the ladder. none of the positional coaches have had a whole lot to work with for a few years now (be that injury or cattle), stoppages coach at carlton is a bit of a poison chalice. john barker is as much a victim of draft and trade mismanagement as any other coach. backline coach looks like he's doing an ok job... but we're well stacked with talent and depth in that area.

Seems like regardless of his performance as a line coach, he is rewarded...was even in contention for our senior gig at one stage?

My perception is that every club and every position he touches gets worse. Is this an unfair assessment?

barker.jpg

Whats the trigger for this dude?

We arent doing too great at the minute everyone would agree, but with our lack of experience of all the young boys, our lack of depth as well as 2 of our 4 best mids injured plus all the other injuries we have, something has got to give....

Is there something else im missing?

Id say Carlton are doing JB a solid until he is ready to move himself, especially after taking over from Malthouse as the interim coach and not being awarded the senior role afterwards.

There was a rumour he might be heading to GC for next season.

Have asked similar questions about Barker over the last few seasons. Not sure what he brings to the club that we couldn't get from someone else.

Seems like a nice bloke that can get reasonably good performances out of some players for short periods of time. After a while the area he controls seems to stagnate or go backwards. It is almost like the opposition works out what plan A is and there is no plan B or ability to adjust during a game or season. Players in his area seem to lose heart and confidence.

Wish him well wherever he moves on to, don't believe we will be worse off when he leaves.

so you want people to supply proof to disprove your theory.
your whole argument is based on "your perception" and no proof.
maybe you could provide some proof of your own before you set off with your lynch mob and pitchforks.

I dunno, tough gig being our stoppages coach when the midfield is arguably our weakest area on the ground.

In any event it doesn't really matter. Just finished his level 4 coaching degree or whatever so I imagine he'll be gone whenever a senior coaching vacancy pops up somewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've asked that question and have got some answers.......but my observation;

Rarely seems fully invested in what's going on, whether it be at VFL games or at training.
Maybe, I just get him on his 'down' times, or maybe that's just the way it works but.............so glad we have Bolton as coach.

Barks has the reverse Midas as a line coach and presided over our all-time losing margin as interim. Seems like a lovely bloke and all but he's a monument to a Carlton era of ineffective nice blokes. The GC rumour, if true, is a win for both John and the club.

So u got nothing?
He has just finished his cert4 which is the highest AFL training available. Widely respected throughout the industry and rumoured to be at the top of Mark Evans list for potential GCS senior job. From all accounts is very much liked by the players. Has been invited repeatedly by Ange Postecoglou to be a part of coaching set up and to have input during Socceroos matches. Personally I was impressed by him during his tenure during a difficult time post Malthouse. The reports were that he presented well and was very close to getting the job full time but was just beaten out by Bolton who was seen as a brilliant candidate. Was offered positions elsewhere afterwards but decided to remain at Carlton which would not have been easy. There has not been one hint of disunity or disloyalty in the two years since.

And you have some Mabo vibe perception thing.

If we believe that Bolton, SOS, Trigg and LoGo are doing a good job then we have to trust them with their appointments. If things are not going along as they see fit, or quickly enough for their liking, they will make changes.

He has just finished his cert4 which is the highest AFL training available. Widely respected throughout the industry and rumoured to be at the top of Mark Evans list for potential GCS senior job. From all accounts is very much liked by the players. Has been invited repeatedly by Ange Postecoglou to be a part of coaching set up and to have input during Socceroos matches. Personally I was impressed by him during his tenure during a difficult time post Malthouse. The reports were that he presented well and was very close to getting the job full time but was just beaten out by Bolton who was seen as a brilliant candidate. Was offered positions elsewhere afterwards but decided to remain at Carlton which would not have been easy. There has not been one hint of disunity or disloyalty in the two years since.

And you have some Mabo vibe perception thing.

If we believe that Bolton, SOS, Trigg and LoGo are doing a good job then we have to trust them with their appointments. If things are not going along as they see fit, or quickly enough for their liking, they will make changes.

Good input and I think my OP probably unfair to the intangibles and good bloke that he is.

The criticism remains that as a line coach and assistant coach, he doesn't get results.

Many people can be very educated (cert 4) without being good at their job. To be a good line coach, you probably don't need all the other stuff. Similar to the PH.D working at a private sector job and realising his knowledge doesn't make him any better (and sometimes worse) than the others who are actually good at what they do.

Interesting thread Juddernaut08

My question would be, which of our other line coaches would you consider to be outperforming Barker and why?

Amos has the defensive structures working fairly well. They only struggle when the midfield are non existent.

Amos has the defensive structures working fairly well. They only struggle when the midfield are non existent.

Would you consider that the calibre of players in the backline are better than other parts of the ground? I wonder how Amos and Barker would go if they swapped roles

If we had a top 8 side in terms of talent and Barker's area was the worst performing group, then the criticism could be justified, until then I feel it is harsh to single out Barker, especially with most of us not being in the inner sanctum

Would you consider that the calibre of players in the backline are better than other parts of the ground? I wonder how Amos and Barker would go if they swapped roles

If we had a top 8 side in terms of talent and Barker's area was the worst performing group, then the criticism could be justified, until then I feel it is harsh to single out Barker, especially with most of us not being in the inner sanctum

Well you did ask which line coaches are outperforming Barker. Personnel aside, we do look to have structure down back.

Our stoppages are a dog's breakfast this year. Clearances down, poor run and spread, incredible amount of fumbling. Some more ball handling drills are a must for many.

Last edited:
Personally I have had a big question mark over Barkers head for a few years now. I was very very suprised when he was given the caretaker coach role.

I don't want to go slinging mud without accurate information, so I just did a bit of research to find out the exact years he was our defensive coach and the years he was our forward coach. Couldn't find info anywhere (blueseam, CFC website, Wikipedia etc) So I am going from memory here, forgive me if I am wrong.

One thing that stands out in my mind, it's that in 2011 we had our most dangerous and function forward line in recent memory. 3 players kicking 50 goals etc.

2012 John Barker takes over as forward coach, and the whole thing was just dysfunctional.

When he was backs coach it seemed like they dropped off too. Now as a stoppage coach we are getting creamed at clearances. Even when we didn't have injuries.

Was also going to go with the 'reverse Midas touch' reference, but another poster got in first. Just seems like every line of the ground he moves to becomes dysfunctional.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back