News John Barker resigns - Post #447

Remove this Banner Ad

Wondering if the timing of the Barker extension had anything to do with the impending sacking of Eade

I think there is a rule that all Assistant Coaches need to be notified by 01 August whether they will be kept for next season so timing is logical. Carlton obviously want him and he wants to stay unless a senior job comes along.

Rodney Eade has been sacked and Barker is named in the media as the favourite to succeed him. He can go to the Suns and they can give us Dean Soloman

not sure I can see how Barker could get the job.. the AFL would clearly want their love child (beside GWS) to have the best chances and getting an Assistant coach who has been with a lowly Carlton for a number of years and had a few games senior experience under his belt, who has also been passed on for the role at Brisbane.

If I was the AFL I would be begging Ratten to come in... proven he can coach his own team... AFL will pay for the necessary resources he lacked during his tenor at the blues. Plus has been at a successful long stint at Hawthorn and has learnt heaps more... perfect candidate... in fact I would almost wish if Bolton doesn't succeed with us within the next couple of years that Ratts would come back and coach us again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barker is obviously rated in the industry, which can mean you are really good at your job, or it can mean you are a good bloke who is ok at your job.

From the outside looking closely on, i just want Carlton to be rid of the s**t era we cultivated in the Club culminating from the leadership of Sticks as Pres, Swan as Ceo and leadership of the likes of Whitnall, Stevens, Fevola, Scotland etc....a teenage Bryce Gibbs in leadership group:rolleyes:

I truly would be happy going into next year without Barker, without Gibbs...and importantly without Murph as Captain.

It is Bolton, Docherty and Cripps' Club from 2018.

I hope.

I believe that Barker will get the nod at GC17 and the AFL will arrange for him to get a senior mentor to guide him for the first couple of years. I hope that we (Carlton) suggests to him that he can take Capuano with him.

Then it really will be Boltons' team.

not sure I can see how Barker could get the job.. the AFL would clearly want their love child (beside GWS) to have the best chances and getting an Assistant coach who has been with a lowly Carlton for a number of years and had a few games senior experience under his belt, who has also been passed on for the role at Brisbane.

If I was the AFL I would be begging Ratten to come in... proven he can coach his own team... AFL will pay for the necessary resources he lacked during his tenor at the blues. Plus has been at a successful long stint at Hawthorn and has learnt heaps more... perfect candidate... in fact I would almost wish if Bolton doesn't succeed with us within the next couple of years that Ratts would come back and coach us again.
Thought the exact same thing today when I did the AFL.com.au Poll http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-08/who-will-replace-rodney-eade-at-the-suns

I've never met the man or spoken to him but whenever I see him on TV or hear him on radio, he never ever gives me a sense of optimism or positivity. He doesn't come across as someone you'd want as your senior coach so if GC want to appoint him then that is their prerogative as they will be way better equipped to make a judgement call.

If he does leave, it may be a bonus in that we will have the opportunity to bring in a new face with new ideas and enthusiasm.

Last edited:
Why was that statement wrong? He is plainly not responsible for the fact that Silvaggni and Casboult are crap kicks for goal from set shots!

Anyway you persist in refusing to answer my question.

I infer that you were making that criticism of him and that you are unable to substantiate it.

Let me try and help - Barker is not our forward line coach, he is our stoppage coach. People are criticising his ability to coach his line, therefore Silvagni and Casboult kicking for goal holds no relvance to the current discussion.

Not in agreement either way, I just like clearing the air.

Now, let's discuss Barker's historical track record...

Ratten would be a far better coach the second time around, he would be further removed from the players and will have learned a massive amount through the time he has spent at hawthorn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back