News John Barker resigns - Post #447

Remove this Banner Ad

Under Bolton, before barks was involved with stoppages, we were 4th in the league for 'post clearance pressure'

We are last now and we were close to last last season as well.
Barker has been involved with the stoppages group for 4 of the last 5 seasons. And now he is in charge for another season.

According to AFL Tables season stats 2020, we won the clearances in 10 games out of 17. (https://afltables.com/afl/stats/2020t.html#3)
According to AFL Tables season stats 2019, we won the clearances in 12 games out of 22. (https://afltables.com/afl/stats/2019t.html#3)
According to AFL Tables season stats 2018, we won the clearances in 7 games out of 22*. (https://afltables.com/afl/stats/2018t.html#3)
According to AFL Tables season stats 2017, we won the clearances in 7 games out of 22. (https://afltables.com/afl/stats/2017t.html#3)
According to AFL Tables season stats 2016, we won the clearances in 9 games out of 22. (https://afltables.com/afl/stats/2016t.html#3)

* In 2018, Barker was our head of high performance and strategy. If he was any good, why did our players fail to run out games and run out of puff about halfway through the game. If he was any good, why did we finish last... he was after all the guy setting the overall strategy?

For someone who has been at the club for so long, you'd think there would be some good things you could point to that he's done.

E.g. Teague during his Adelaide stint is largely credited for getting the 4-prong tall forward lineup + Betts to become a super dangerous unit.

For those Barker apologists trying to poke holes in the case against him...what's the case for him? Surely anyone at a job for 10+ worth their salt should have something to point to, right?

IMO - Barker may not be the main problem, but the sooner we are rid of him the better.

So our clearance numbers have improved under Barker, but our overall pressure numbers have tumbled under Teague's attacking gameplan
Nope... as per my previous post, our clearance numbers have only seen us over the halfway mark of clearances for a season (not really counting 2020 because it was a shortened season) once. In the year that Bolton was sacked halfway through the season (just after round 11 to be precise). So... I wouldn't say our clearance numbers have improved under Barker.

Barker has been involved with the stoppages group for 4 of the last 5 seasons. And now he is in charge for another season.

According to AFL Tables season stats 2020, we won the clearances in 10 games out of 17. (https://afltables.com/afl/stats/2020t.html#3)
According to AFL Tables season stats 2019, we won the clearances in 12 games out of 22. (https://afltables.com/afl/stats/2019t.html#3)
According to AFL Tables season stats 2018, we won the clearances in 7 games out of 22*. (https://afltables.com/afl/stats/2018t.html#3)
According to AFL Tables season stats 2017, we won the clearances in 7 games out of 22. (https://afltables.com/afl/stats/2017t.html#3)
According to AFL Tables season stats 2016, we won the clearances in 9 games out of 22. (https://afltables.com/afl/stats/2016t.html#3)

* In 2018, Barker was our head of high performance and strategy. If he was any good, why did our players fail to run out games and run out of puff about halfway through the game. If he was any good, why did we finish last... he was after all the guy setting the overall strategy?

You can't blame Barker for being handed the fitness department, after the way we managed the Trigg sacking, hence Craig left, that's on the club

The clearances numbers have been improving since 2018

Nope... as per my previous post, our clearance numbers have only seen us over the halfway mark of clearances for a season (not really counting 2020 because it was a shortened season) once. In the year that Bolton was sacked halfway through the season (just after round 11 to be precise). So... I wouldn't say our clearance numbers have improved under Barker.

Check out the differential numbers, it paints an accurate picture

I'm much more worried about the quality rather than the numbers.
So many of the stoppages we win are under pressure, ie hack kicks forward, or handballs to players who are immediately tackled, whereas when our opponents win a stoppage, the ball comes out to a player in space.

We don't seem to position ourselves so that we can win quality possession or put the opposition under pressure. Thursday night's game was a prime example, as was the Collingwood game last year. Both games we would have fancied ourselves, and both games we got cut up by not being in the right spot.

Edit: Also, the first half of 2019 was an absolute disaster, so I'm not sure that an improvement in numbers from then counts for a lot.
One thing I picked up watching the game is that we often try and burst run out of the stoppage then have a rushed disposal
I watched one AFLW game and was impressed with the girls in a stoppage running away from our goals handballing to some one facing the play coming at them they had time and space to dispose
Cripps bursts out and try’s to turn slips over Williams try’s to turn gets caught there where 3 hack kicks out of a stoppage from Curnow that resulted in turnovers you can’t afford to throw away possessions he should of handballed there where Carlton players around but not in the right position
Collingwood rarely wasted there possessions they would handball like checkers 45 degree angle forward or backward the players where set up to keep moving it till they got a clean exit.
It feels like we are under coached the good teams run like a computer if this then that if I receive it here I know I’ll have an outlet there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buck stops with the senior coach
I see a lot of good argument against Barker, maybe you'd care to state why you're backing in Barker so hard?
What has he done particularly well that we are missing?

Edit: just saw the stats page you listed.
Interestingly, in 2020 our clearances were down on 2019, yet were better than half the comp. What was really damning was the un/contested possessions- they were rock bottom.
Still, I don't see the magic that Barker has made - Ed and Murph were always going to get better clearance numbers than Samo and Dow.
Any other arguments that paint a clearer picture?

Last edited:
I see a lot of good argument against Barker, maybe you'd care to state why you're backing in Barker so hard?
What has he done particularly well that we are missing?

I am not backing him at all, or any other assistant. As I said, unless someone here is in the inner sanctum, no one would know the effectiveness of an assistant

People then start claiming stats, all the ones I have access to, it shows improvement in clearances. If someone has more information, let's assess it

If it's based on vision, for the entire period Barker has been in charge of stoppages, none of us would have that either

I have always been brutally honest with my assessment of players and senior coaches, but how do you assess an assistant with limited information and takes instructions from a senior coach as to why and how

If it's based purely on a new fresh voice/ideas, sure, but let's not guess or make things up

For years now I've seen people here making big definitive statements proclaiming that Barker has been a failure with every position he's held at Carlton, some even casting aspersions on his character, all without ever providing one bit of evidence to back their claims.

For someone to be around a football club for so long under 4 different senior coaches there must be a belief that this person contributes something positive around the club. He's served with and under a lot of different people. If he was totally useless surely someone would have recognised this by now and he would have been long gone.

I tend to think that the people at the club would be a whole lot more clued in on this matter than any of us would be.

I'm not saying he's a great assistant. I, like the rest of us here, simply wouldn't know.

One thing I picked up watching the game is that we often try and burst run out of the stoppage then have a rushed disposal
I watched one AFLW game and was impressed with the girls in a stoppage running away from our goals handballing to some one facing the play coming at them they had time and space to dispose
Cripps bursts out and try’s to turn slips over Williams try’s to turn gets caught there where 3 hack kicks out of a stoppage from Curnow that resulted in turnovers you can’t afford to throw away possessions he should of handballed there where Carlton players around but not in the right position
Collingwood rarely wasted there possessions they would handball like checkers 45 degree angle forward or backward the players where set up to keep moving it till they got a clean exit.
It feels like we are under coached the good teams run like a computer if this then that if I receive it here I know I’ll have an outlet there

Those attempts to turn and slipping over suggests to me that our wingers are running forward anticipating the clearance and our half backs aren't on the move.

Also, as soon as the ball goes to the defensive side, the other centre square teammates should be running to a lateral position to provide an option.

Someone on one of the panels said that Carlton need to narrow the ground to take advantage of having Cripps and I was wondering what they meant and how they could do this.

They were in essence knocking our spread, suggesting we were doing it too much and too soon for the type of side we have.

We have types who like the ball in tight and release teammates from traffic.

We need to delay our spread until we know who has won the ball. If we win it, we need to support the teammate until the ball is travelling our way.

The problem is our opposition is usually quicker and is spreading fast so we are reacting because we aren't a quick side.

The more players we have hold back around a stoppage, the more we outnumber our opponents and the more chance we have of getting the clearance.

Yes, if our rucks aren't winning the taps, we are up against it if they have started to spread before us. This is where we need a loose in defence and hard working half backs to try to nullify the opposition spread and our centre square players to run a direct line down the corridor to help out in defence.

Cripps can still be Cripps, he can release Dow or Williams if he wins it. Right now, he doesn't have the first receivers in the right spot to take advantage of his work.

I am not backing him at all, or any other assistant. As I said, unless someone here is in the inner sanctum, no one would know the effectiveness of an assistant

People then start claiming stats, all the ones I have access to, it shows improvement in clearances. If someone has more information, let's assess it

If it's based on vision, for the entire period Barker has been in charge of stoppages, none of us would have that either

I have always been brutally honest with my assessment of players and senior coaches, but how do you assess an assistant with limited information and takes instructions from a senior coach as to why and how

If it's based purely on a new fresh voice/ideas, sure, but let's not guess or make things up

Arr0w are you concentrating on clearances because that is what Barker is suppossedly in charge of? If that is the case and Stanton is in charge of transition - at what point does 'tranisition' take over from clearances? and then that begs another question - who is responsible for midfield defensive structures? No one?

if we have improved in clearances - whatever that means v transisition V other midfield play ( like defence and tackles ) and midfield goals and midfield turnovers ...why do you think other teams can move the ball so easily between our forwawerd 50 and our defensive 50? If that isnt clearances and therefore Barkers responsibility - whose responsibility is it?

Sorry I think the current discussion has such narrow terms of reference to be - irrelevant to how a game is actually played and what matters. Our midfield right now is not playing as well as it should.

If Barker isnt happy with the MC player choices he should man up and get what he needs to get the job done - if he is happy with selections and positions - it isnt workling.

For years now I've seen people here making big definitive statements proclaiming that Barker has been a failure with every position he's held at Carlton, some even casting aspersions on his character, all without ever providing one bit of evidence to back their claims.

For someone to be around a football club for so long under 4 different senior coaches there must be a belief that this person contributes something positive around the club. He's served with and under a lot of different people. If he was totally useless surely someone would have recognised this by now and he would have been long gone.

I tend to think that the people at the club would be a whole lot more clued in on this matter than any of us would be.

I'm not saying he's a great assistant. I, like the rest of us here, simply wouldn't know.
All you need is the gift of the gab to pass the buck to someone else. I know a blokes who has been doing it for longer then Barker has been a Carlton assistant and management love the guy still, if only they knew.

Arr0w are you concentrating on clearances because that is what Barker is suppossedly in charge of? If that is the case and Stanton is in charge of transition - at what point does 'tranisition' take over from clearances? and then that begs another question - who is responsible for midfield defensive structures? No one?

if we have improved in clearances - whatever that means v transisition V other midfield play ( like defence and tackles ) and midfield goals and midfield turnovers ...why do you think other teams can move the ball so easily between our forwawerd 50 and our defensive 50? If that isnt clearances and therefore Barkers responsibility - whose responsibility is it?

Sorry I think the current discussion has such narrow terms of reference to be - irrelevant to how a game is actually played and what matters. Our midfield right now is not playing as well as it should.

If Barker isnt happy with the MC player choices he should man up and get what he needs to get the job done - if he is happy with selections and positions - it isnt workling.

So far this year, we know there has been a major shift, the game is more open, which i believe will correct itself in the next month.

Added to the above, skyhorsestamer mentioned that over the last 12 months, our pressure numbers across the ground, not one specific area, are the worst in the league. Is it any wonder with the attacking gameplan Teague wants to play.

Have said for some time now, the balance is somewhere in between Bolton's defensive structure to Teague's attacking structure.

I agree, if Barker isn't getting the likes of a Setters to play as an inside mid, I would hope he is voicing that robustly, likewise if Teague is dissatisfied if Barker or any line coach is not delivering on his instructions.

Mentioned this to you the other day. Owner of the business analogy, if Teague, being the owner/leader of the assistants and players isnt getting the outcomes he wants, it's his responsibility to make the changes

John Barker’s body of work as an assistant coach at the Carlton Football Club.

Note: All positions held are as Wikipedia’s entry which links to

2011 – 2013

John Barker was the forwards coach from 2011 to 2013.

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]SCORES[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]ACC[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]I50[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]EFF[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]MI50[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]M EFF[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2010[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]315.253.2143[/TD]
[TD valign="top"].5546[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1192[/TD]
[TD valign="top"].4765[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]280[/TD]
[TD valign="top"].2349[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2011[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]320.305.2225[/TD]
[TD valign="top"].5120[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1305[/TD]
[TD valign="top"].4789[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]337[/TD]
[TD valign="top"].2582[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]%IMP[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-4.3%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]0.05%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]9.9%[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2012[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]299.285.2079[/TD]
[TD valign="top"].5119[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1165[/TD]
[TD valign="top"].5013[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]294[/TD]
[TD valign="top"].2524[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-0.01%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]4.7%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-2.2%[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2013[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]304.301.2125[/TD]
[TD valign="top"].5025[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1267[/TD]
[TD valign="top"].4775[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]310[/TD]
[TD valign="top"].2447[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-1.9%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]8.8%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-4.9%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-3.1%[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]S-F%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-10.3%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]2%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]4%[/TD]

Under Barker’s stewardship the Carlton forward line kicking accuracy dropped 10.3% while having negligible improvement in scoring efficiency from inside 50 entries and marking efficiency with inside 50 entries.

However, it must be noted that:

• Carlton deteriorated badly in terms of scoring from I50 efficiency in Barker’s last season as our forward’s coach
  • Carlton deteriorated badly in marking efficiency from our inside 50 entries in Barker’s last season as our forward’s coach
  • After a rather successful season in 2011 our marking efficiency dropped in years two and three
In conclusion, the longer Barker was Carlton’s forward’s coach the more inefficient it became even though we had the most on field success in Barker’s tenure at the club while he was in this position.

After these key efficiency numbers went backwards, Barker was moved to the backline.

Stats are for 2 fewer games as we played finals in 2013.

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]OM I50[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]310.314.2174[/TD]
[TD valign="top"].4967[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]277[/TD]
[TD valign="top"].4439[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2014[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]304.283.2107[/TD]
[TD valign="top"].5179[/TD]
[TD valign="top"].4770[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-4.26%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-7.46%[/TD]

Once again, statistically, Barker has taken the second area that he has coached backwards. Opponents are getting easier shots on goal and are marking the ball more easily when going forward. Most damning, however, is that opponents had more marks in two fewer games than the season before. We conceded almost a full goal more per game in 2014 than we did the year before. In a game of inches, this hurts.

Barker started the season as the backline coach where Carlton began the season 1-7.

Malthouse was fired.

Opponents were averaging 112.6 points per game against us. Over a full season that would have been 2477.8 points against or an increase of 17.60% per game against a backline already suffering from declining performance with Barker. Our defensive efficiency hit rock bottom.

Due to this season being a write off and Barker’s role changing these are the only numbers that matter – to be fair on Barker.

2016 and 2017

Bolton’s first year at the club. We improved from 4-18 in 2015 to 7-15 under Bolton.

We retained Barker where he was moved to the stoppages coach. Barker was the stoppages coach from 2016-2017.

As we have yet to make the finals since 2013 numbers from here on out are all based on 22 game seasons except for Covid-impacted 2020 (17 games).

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]CL[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]HO[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]T[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2015[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]869[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]879[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1246[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]971[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2016[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]765[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]863[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1452[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1116[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]-13.6%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-1.8%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]16.53%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]14.9%[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2017[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]753[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]857[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1527[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1026[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]-1.6%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-0.7%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]5.2%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-8.8%[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]CP[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]DE%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]CCL[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]SCL[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]T50[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2865[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]72.4[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]291[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]570[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]178[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2914[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]74.4[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]229[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]586[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]262[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]1.7%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]2.0%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-27%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]2.8%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]47%[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]3028[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]72.5[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]259[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]496[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]236[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]3.9%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]13.1%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-18.1%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-11%[/TD]

In 2015 we were a surprisingly strong clearances team. Under Barker we declined in both seasons (13.6% from 2015-16 and a further 1.6% from 2016-17).

Our hit outs situation deteriorated both seasons. This, despite Kreuzer’s near All-Australian 2017 season.

Where Barker improved us, noticeably, in these two seasons was in our tackling. We also improved slightly as a contested winning team. Much of this can be contributed to the advancement of Patrick Cripps’s game.

However, the most important areas of a stoppages coach are in CCL (Centre Clearances) and clearances from stoppages (SCL).

Unbelievably, Barker took us backwards in CCL 27% from 2015-16 and only improved us 13.1% in 2017 for a net loss of 12%.

In SCL it was even worse. A small increase of 2.8% from 2015-16 before a plummet of 18.1% in 2017 for a net decrease of 14.92%

After failing as a stoppages coach, the club moved Barker into the “Head of Strategy and High-Performance Manager” position.

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]W-L[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]FOR[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]AGAINST[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]6-16[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]78.21[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]232.202.1594[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]299.244.2038[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2018[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]2-20[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]59.29[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]231.223.1609[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]335.272.2282[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]-4 wins[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-18.92%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]+15[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-244[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]CP[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]D[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]M[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]T[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]HO[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]CL[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]7912[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]2288[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]755[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2984[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]7635[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1910[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]994[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1394[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]772[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]771[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]-1.5%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-3.6%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-19.7%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-3.2%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-9.5%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]+2.11%[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]CM[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]256[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]240[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]70.4[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]218[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]203[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]268[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]503[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]186[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]-2.1%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-17%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-18.2%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]3.5%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1.4%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-26.9%[/TD]

The club absolutely s**t the bed in 2018. We were down almost across the board.

However, it wasn’t all bad news. We actually improved in clearances, centre clearances, and clearances from stoppages. That we improved in those areas isn’t unexpected. After all, where we improved was the specific areas that Barker was moved away from!

Barker had his high-performance role taken from him after the 2018 season. He was returned to stoppages.

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]CL[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]HO[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]T[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2019[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]889[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]852[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1378[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1059[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]15.3%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]10%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1.16%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]6.5%[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]CP[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]3135[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]68.7[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]257[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]632[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]204[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]5%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-3.8%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]25.6%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]9.7%[/TD]

What we see here is almost across the board improvement from our disastrous year in 2018.

The question that needs to be asked is how much of this improvement is –

• Natural development
  • John Barker not being our “high-performance” manager
  • John Barker’s stoppages coaching
  • The sacking of Bolton and replacing him with David Teague
Let’s assume that it’s a combination of all things – which is to say that it doesn’t say that the positives of Barker are at best, for him, a wash and that valid arguments can made for and against him.

Here we come to the Covid-19 impacted 17-game season. Quarters were shorter and we played 5 fewer games. Therefore, using season totals is a meaningless statistic and using straight numbers are also meaningless. I’ve pro-rated the numbers to attempt to marry the quarter length from 2019 to 2020.

Base number / 17 x 22 x 1.25 = total

Once again, Barker is listed as our stoppages coach:

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]CL[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]HO[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]T[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2020*[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]872[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]773[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1454[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1215[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]-10.2%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]5.5%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]14.7%[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]CP[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]3318[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]66.9[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]595[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]5.8%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]7.7%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-6.2%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1.36%[/TD]

The difference from 2019 to 2020 is that we’ve become a better tackling team inside 50. This is noted to be one of Teague’s key demands on his teams.

We were actually a worse clearance from stoppages team in 2020 than what we were in 2019 – a key area of a stoppages coach. As a result, total clearances were down (centre clearances marginally up).

The stoppages statistics are not improving.

It’s too early to draw meaningful data from two games of 2021.

In summary, the statistics speak volumes about the quality of John Barker’s coaching in the areas of the ground that he has coached. They do not paint him in a positive light.

All stats are publicly available.

So far this year, we know there has been a major shift, the game is more open, which i believe will correct itself in the next month.

Added to the above, skyhorsestamer mentioned that over the last 12 months, our pressure numbers across the ground, not one specific area, are the worst in the league. Is it any wonder with the attacking gameplan Teague wants to play.

Have said for some time now, the balance is somewhere in between Bolton's defensive structure to Teague's attacking structure.

I agree, if Barker isn't getting the likes of a Setters to play as an inside mid, I would hope he is voicing that robustly, likewise if Teague is dissatisfied if Barker or any line coach is not delivering on his instructions.

Mentioned this to you the other day. Owner of the business analogy, if Teague, being the owner/leader of the assistants and players isnt getting the outcomes he wants, it's his responsibility to make the changes

I dont think the fast run game is sustainbable at current velocities either- seeing quite a few non collision injuries start to pop up through the competition already...agree it is on Teague (ultimately) - but he was dealt a shitty hand late in pre-seson with injuries to key players - some still on ground.As they say sometimes - luck is a fortune.

I wont be making my mind up till 6 games are played and a few players (hopefully) back. It could be a 3-4: 6 result till bye - and then a 8:2 to finish...anyway i look at it- second half will beat first half of season.

John Barker’s body of work as an assistant coach at the Carlton Football Club.

Note: All positions held are as Wikipedia’s entry which links to

2011 – 2013

John Barker was the forwards coach from 2011 to 2013.

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]EFF[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2010[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]315.253.2143[/TD]
[TD valign="top"].5546[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1192[/TD]
[TD valign="top"].4765[/TD]
[TD valign="top"].2349[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2011[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]320.305.2225[/TD]
[TD valign="top"].5120[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1305[/TD]
[TD valign="top"].4789[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]337[/TD]
[TD valign="top"].2582[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]0.05%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]9.9%[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2012[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]299.285.2079[/TD]
[TD valign="top"].5119[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1165[/TD]
[TD valign="top"].5013[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]294[/TD]
[TD valign="top"].2524[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-0.01%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]4.7%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-2.2%[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]304.301.2125[/TD]
[TD valign="top"].5025[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1267[/TD]
[TD valign="top"].4775[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]310[/TD]
[TD valign="top"].2447[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]8.8%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-4.9%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-3.1%[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]S-F%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-10.3%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]2%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]4%[/TD]

Under Barker’s stewardship the Carlton forward line kicking accuracy dropped 10.3% while having negligible improvement in scoring efficiency from inside 50 entries and marking efficiency with inside 50 entries.

However, it must be noted that:

• Carlton deteriorated badly in terms of scoring from I50 efficiency in Barker’s last season as our forward’s coach
  • Carlton deteriorated badly in marking efficiency from our inside 50 entries in Barker’s last season as our forward’s coach
  • After a rather successful season in 2011 our marking efficiency dropped in years two and three
In conclusion, the longer Barker was Carlton’s forward’s coach the more inefficient it became even though we had the most on field success in Barker’s tenure at the club while he was in this position.

After these key efficiency numbers went backwards, Barker was moved to the backline.

Stats are for 2 fewer games as we played finals in 2013.

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]OM I50[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]310.314.2174[/TD]
[TD valign="top"].4967[/TD]
[TD valign="top"].4439[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2014[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]304.283.2107[/TD]
[TD valign="top"].5179[/TD]
[TD valign="top"].4770[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-4.26%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-7.46%[/TD]

Once again, statistically, Barker has taken the second area that he has coached backwards. Opponents are getting easier shots on goal and are marking the ball more easily when going forward. Most damning, however, is that opponents had more marks in two fewer games than the season before. We conceded almost a full goal more per game in 2014 than we did the year before. In a game of inches, this hurts.

Barker started the season as the backline coach where Carlton began the season 1-7.

Malthouse was fired.

Opponents were averaging 112.6 points per game against us. Over a full season that would have been 2477.8 points against or an increase of 17.60% per game against a backline already suffering from declining performance with Barker. Our defensive efficiency hit rock bottom.

Due to this season being a write off and Barker’s role changing these are the only numbers that matter – to be fair on Barker.

2016 and 2017

Bolton’s first year at the club. We improved from 4-18 in 2015 to 7-15 under Bolton.

We retained Barker where he was moved to the stoppages coach. Barker was the stoppages coach from 2016-2017.

As we have yet to make the finals since 2013 numbers from here on out are all based on 22 game seasons except for Covid-impacted 2020 (17 games).

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]CL[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]HO[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]T[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]869[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]879[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1246[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]971[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]765[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]863[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1452[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1116[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]-13.6%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]16.53%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]14.9%[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]753[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]-1.6%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-0.7%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]5.2%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-8.8%[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]CP[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2865[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]72.4[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]291[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]570[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]178[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2914[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]74.4[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]229[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]586[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]262[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]1.7%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]2.0%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-27%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]2.8%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]47%[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]3.9%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]13.1%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-18.1%[/TD]

In 2015 we were a surprisingly strong clearances team. Under Barker we declined in both seasons (13.6% from 2015-16 and a further 1.6% from 2016-17).

Our hit outs situation deteriorated both seasons. This, despite Kreuzer’s near All-Australian 2017 season.

Where Barker improved us, noticeably, in these two seasons was in our tackling. We also improved slightly as a contested winning team. Much of this can be contributed to the advancement of Patrick Cripps’s game.

However, the most important areas of a stoppages coach are in CCL (Centre Clearances) and clearances from stoppages (SCL).

Unbelievably, Barker took us backwards in CCL 27% from 2015-16 and only improved us 13.1% in 2017 for a net loss of 12%.

In SCL it was even worse. A small increase of 2.8% from 2015-16 before a plummet of 18.1% in 2017 for a net decrease of 14.92%

After failing as a stoppages coach, the club moved Barker into the “Head of Strategy and High-Performance Manager” position.

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]W-L[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]FOR[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]AGAINST[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]6-16[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]78.21[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]232.202.1594[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]299.244.2038[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2-20[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]59.29[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]231.223.1609[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]335.272.2282[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]-4 wins[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-18.92%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]+15[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-244[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]CP[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]D[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]M[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]T[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]HO[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]CL[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]7912[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]2288[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]755[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]7635[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1910[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]-1.5%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-3.6%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-19.7%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-3.2%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-9.5%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]+2.11%[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]CM[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]256[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]240[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]70.4[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]218[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]203[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]-2.1%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-17%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-18.2%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]3.5%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1.4%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-26.9%[/TD]

The club absolutely sh*t the bed in 2018. We were down almost across the board.

However, it wasn’t all bad news. We actually improved in clearances, centre clearances, and clearances from stoppages. That we improved in those areas isn’t unexpected. After all, where we improved was the specific areas that Barker was moved away from!

Barker had his high-performance role taken from him after the 2018 season. He was returned to stoppages.

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]CL[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]HO[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]T[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]15.3%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]10%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1.16%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]6.5%[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]CP[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]5%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-3.8%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]25.6%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]9.7%[/TD]

What we see here is almost across the board improvement from our disastrous year in 2018.

The question that needs to be asked is how much of this improvement is –

• Natural development
  • John Barker not being our “high-performance” manager
  • John Barker’s stoppages coaching
  • The sacking of Bolton and replacing him with David Teague
Let’s assume that it’s a combination of all things – which is to say that it doesn’t say that the positives of Barker are at best, for him, a wash and that valid arguments can made for and against him.

Here we come to the Covid-19 impacted 17-game season. Quarters were shorter and we played 5 fewer games. Therefore, using season totals is a meaningless statistic and using straight numbers are also meaningless. I’ve pro-rated the numbers to attempt to marry the quarter length from 2019 to 2020.

Base number / 17 x 22 x 1.25 = total

Once again, Barker is listed as our stoppages coach:

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]CL[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]HO[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]T[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]872[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]773[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1454[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1215[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]-10.2%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]5.5%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]14.7%[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]CP[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]3318[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]66.9[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]595[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]5.8%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]7.7%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-6.2%[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1.36%[/TD]

The difference from 2019 to 2020 is that we’ve become a better tackling team inside 50. This is noted to be one of Teague’s key demands on his teams.

We were actually a worse clearance from stoppages team in 2020 than what we were in 2019 – a key area of a stoppages coach. As a result, total clearances were down (centre clearances marginally up).

The stoppages statistics are not improving.

It’s too early to draw meaningful data from two games of 2021.

In summary, the statistics speak volumes about the quality of John Barker’s coaching in the areas of the ground that he has coached. They do not paint him in a positive light.

All stats are publicly available.

Wick, so if I have this right, you are blaming Barker for forwards missing shots at goals, and leaning on natural progression for improved clearance differentials while he has been the stoppage line coach?

The numbers around clearance differentials improved from 2018 to 2019 and again another improvement in 2020

We ranked 5th in 2020, while finishing outside the 8

If he was any good he'd have been poached or promoted - it's been ten years now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back