Past Coach John Blakey - will not be continuing at North in 2024 - Thanks John

Coaches of the past.

Swallow_Wood

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The negative is that his love for Sydney is going to influence what we do at the draft table. He's too emotionally attached to them to strategically knock them out with a bid on Campbell. When it comes to North or Sydney, he will do what's right for Sydney.
Ahahahahhahahahhaha!!

“There are a lot of players that are 21 and under and some really good talent amongst the list,” he told North Media.

“There’s been experience put into the younger group, they’ve got some games under their belt and they’ve got a taste of what’s required to be able to compete against the best sides.

“I’m looking forward to working with those young boys and developing and educating them on what’s required to be able to compete with the best teams in the competition.”

“You learn along the journey what it takes and what’s required to constantly compete in September and then what’s required to win a premiership … and its bloody hard, it’s not easy by any stretch of the imagination.

“You know how much work goes into each and every one of those campaigns and successors and obviously one side gets the glory each year.

They’re (premierships) very, very difficult to win and they take a lot of work and a lot of high standards to be able to get there.

“Hopefully that’s what I can bring to the club, some really high standards and some experience in what it takes and what we need to do to get there.”

This is what I've wanted to hear for a while. We need someone to say this s**t. To talk about standards and then enforce them on the group.

A couple of points...

I (don't) love the cliche at the start "compete with the best sides." I'd rather hear the words beat then be than "compete". We're already in the comp so we are already competing however poorly we did it this year.

While they mentioned the coaches he learned from the didn't mention Pagan. No doubt playing under Pagan, as well as having high standards himseof has contributed to his coaching performances over the years.

Mar 10, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Really enjoyed the interview.
Blakey's love for the club, and his excitement about getting us back up where we belong came through in spades.
No better guy for the job. Bloke was a fantastic footballer.
Tough and honest as they came.
No frills, no drama, no hysterics...just got the job done.
Welcome back Blakes.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Really enjoyed the interview.
Blakey's love for the club, and his excitement about getting us back up where we belong came through in spades.
No better guy for the job. Bloke was a fantastic footballer.
Tough and honest as they came.
No frills, no drama, no hysterics...just got the job done.
Welcome back Blakes.

Yep, Mr Reliable.

He cost us the 1998 grand final.

Swallow_Wood

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah. We all know that the Swans have hijacked the club and somehow have forced the sacking of Jade Rawlings so that they could get Johnny Blakey in the 2IC role, right behind their other mole Rhyce Shaw. They have also managed to infiltrate the recruiting department to ensure that North don't bid on Campbell because, ah, unicorns I think?
The negative is that his love for Sydney is going to influence what we do at the draft table. He's too emotionally attached to them to strategically knock them out with a bid on Campbell. When it comes to North or Sydney, he will do what's right for Sydney. It's no wonder they let him leave with their best blessings. It's magnificent timing for them.
Oh my!

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Blakey just said that Brady is the one working through the coaching structure... What evidence do you have otherwise?

Brady Rawlings is not the only force inside the NMFC.

The one positive hint I got from this is that there's possibly more trades coming IN the door.

The negative is that his love for Sydney is going to influence what we do at the draft table. He's too emotionally attached to them to strategically knock them out with a bid on Campbell. When it comes to North or Sydney, he will do what's right for Sydney. It's no wonder they let him leave with their best blessings. It's magnificent timing for them.
That is ridiculous.

For a start he is an assistant coach, not making list management decisions. If the people we have making those decisions are that easily swayed and poor at their job that isn't on Blakey but on them (ie Rawlings, Luff and maybe Claytons.). Given what has happened so far I'm not of the opinion that is the case.

Secondly who says Campbell is a better option than whoever else we are looking at with pick two? Maybe there are other players we prefer and don't want to risk missing cos we are chasing Sydney to screw them over in an attempt to prove how smart we are. (Ie because we were letting Sydney live rent free in our heads.) McDonald, Hollands and Phillips or Campbell? Is it worth missing out on the first three to get him?

Cos if Sydney don't rate him above say ... Hollands and we bid, they don't match then take Hollands it could be said that is Blakey doing Sydney's bidding.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Surprisingly not mate.

Was curious to hear 2 potentially opposite views before calibrating against my own listening.

My personal view is that John was offered a role/package that was too good to refuse.

Still has a love for the club, despite also really loving his time at Sydney.

Is excited at the prospect of helping and developing us through the rebuild.

Identified that our list has a clear gap in mid aged players, however also spoke about adding some exciting youth via this draft.

When asked about Nick he said it was good to no longer be involved in the match committee whilst his son is playing.

Said that the club, led by Brady and now himself is working towards exactly what the new coaching setup will look like, and reiterated how well Brady is doing. Also said he has a great relationship with Rhyce.

In summary, thought it was a really positive interview and he sounds like exactly the type of experienced/level headed senior assistant we need to navigate what will be a tough couple of years.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Sheesh you are entertaining.!!! :thumbsu:

Suggest you dust off the ol VHS and watch the last quarter of the 1996 GF!

Then watch the first half of 1998 and watch who uncharacteristically missed so many shots at the goals!

LOLZ!

Hey, I respect you for standing by YOUR man.

He'll look after your interests.;):thumbsu:

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
We'll only bid on Campbell if we think he is the best or second best player in the draft. Clubs don't screw around with high picks just to be smart or inconvenience another club.

Okay, do you think it's feasibly possible that the kid is actually worthy of pick 2-3?

I definitely rate him around there.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
Okay, do you think it's feasibly possible that the kid is actually worthy of pick 2-3?

I definitely rate him around there.

I think if we genuinely think he is in that bracket we are probably already talking with Sydney about potentially swapping picks and how we can get something extra from them to do so.

Corpuscles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2006
Lunatic Park
AFL Club
Sydney
Hey, I respect you for standing by YOUR man.

He'll look after your interests.;):thumbsu:

Yeah! The game is up :$ .....you have worked it ALL out.

Now I reckon a respectable NM fan like you would consider it his important duty to tweet Brady R to tell him about the conspiracy the subversive plot being manufactured by -Sydney Swan's Secret Service Stooges' (SSSSS).
Tell Brady you reckon Braeden Campbell is clearly the best midfielder in the draft and ought be bid at 2 ! If not then for no other reason than to try to thwart the SSSSS conspiracy plot and stuff up their pick 3 . (which can easily be live traded to lower picks if required)
PLEASE tef would you post Brady's reply!;) :thumbsu:

I think it would be good for Campbell to play 2 seasons out of NM. He would be guaranteed to be best 22 and get senior game time and would receive the same coaching he would have received at Swans had he been 3 years older, and then ready to live his dream and move back home to Sydney a seasoned , maturing gun to join a premiership contender team!

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

Now I reckon a respectable NM fan like you would consider it his important duty to tweet Brady R to tell him about the conspiracy the subversive plot being manufactured by -Sydney Swan's Secret Service Stooges' (SSSSS).
Tell Brady you reckon Braeden Campbell is clearly the best midfielder in the draft and ought be bid at 2 ! If not then for no other reason than to try to thwart the SSSSS conspiracy plot and stuff up their pick 3 . (which can easily be live traded to lower picks if required)

I think it would be good for Campbell to play 2 seasons out of NM. He would be guaranteed to be best 22 and get senior game time and would receive the same coaching he would have received at Swans had he been 3 years older, and then ready to live his dream and move back home to Sydney a seasoned , maturing gun to join a premiership contender team!

Cheeky.

What happens after that? Does Nick request a trade to Arden Street and John hurriedly packs his bags and returns to SSSSS headquarters?

Handsome.B.Wonderful

Premiership Player
Jan 13, 2006
Bigfooty
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sheesh you are entertaining.!!! :thumbsu:

Suggest you dust off the ol VHS and watch the last half of the 1996 GF!

Then watch the first half of 1998 and watch who uncharacteristically missed so many shots at the goals!

LOLZ!

Whether or not Jarman got the better of Blakey, it didn't cost us the game. Also, it's Darren "F*****G" Jarman on GF Day.....

Well known that our kicking was horrific but unfortunately our good form also masked the fact that we were carrying Scott, Rock and Allison (who we managed to get through in 99 as well). McKernan and Simpson got well beaten; Kingy didn't really defend at all which would have looked good if we won, but his man James Thiessen played the game of his life.

What we missed in run we seemingly rectified in 1999 with Rawlings, Motlop and Clayton but I can't think of anyone else we could have played in 1998 that would have stopped McLeod and the run of the Crows.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

Righto, now you can pack up your comedy routine and * off back to chardonnay central. They'll be impressed. :thumbsu:

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Whether or not Jarman got the better of Blakey, it didn't cost us the game. Also, it's Darren "F*****G" Jarman on GF Day.....

Well known that our kicking was horrific but unfortunately our good form also masked the fact that we were carrying Scott, Rock and Allison (who we managed to get through in 99 as well). McKernan and Simpson got well beaten; Kingy didn't really defend at all which would have looked good if we won, but his man James Thiessen played the game of his life.

What we missed in run we seemingly rectified in 1999 with Rawlings, Motlop and Clayton but I can't think of anyone else we could have played in 1998 that would have stopped McLeod and the run of the Crows.

Corey was still good in the 1998 GF.

My faint memory is that Corey, Bell and a defender (Martyn? McCartney?) all held up their end of the bargain.

Regarding Blakey, that's on Pagan. It was clear Jarman was manhandling and that Archer should've switched on to him as he had done previously.

Corpuscles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2006
Lunatic Park
AFL Club
Sydney
Cheeky.

What happens after that? Does Nick request a trade to Arden Street and John hurriedly packs his bags and returns to SSSSS headquarters?

Nah
As and when you lot get reacquainted with the coach side of J Blakey you will realise he is absolutely honest . Everything he said was honest truth
I was just stirring Snakey a little (don't fret mod - I won't over do it?)

Did you pick up it is time for Nick to move out from home stand on his own feet make his own way. Truth
There were several very poor games from Nick many calling for dropped - eventually it happened the week before GWS and he came back well, it would been hard for the other Swans coaches to discipline Nick and HE NEEDS IT (a bit of a big head sometimes)

Blakey was Shaw's mentor - you know the media had been beating drums about it - the right choice! Better than Roos because Rhyce can and has successfully worked side by side with him. All good coaches pick their desired assistants.

Back