Past Coach John Blakey - will not be continuing at North in 2024 - Thanks John

Coaches of the past.
Corey was still good in the 1998 GF.

My faint memory is that Corey, Bell and a defender (Martyn? McCartney?) all held up their end of the bargain.

Regarding Blakey, that's on Pagan. It was clear Jarman was manhandling and that Archer should've switched on to him as he had done previously.
Still hate going back to that day. In my time following the club I've seen 3 GFs and plenty of great sides, but 1998 was arguably the best and most balanced side we've had. The only thing that makes it in any way bearable, is the fact we didn't really deserve it in 1999, so we got something back from the footy Gods...

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Geez that's not my memory....how'd he do that? I would've thought our abominable kicking for goal cost us that year. I remember feeling sick in the guts at half time.

There's two aspects to a footy match, attack and defend.

We should have ended it, but they got back in to the game, and the uncompromised know how that happened.

Aug 16, 2009
North Caulfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There's two aspects to a footy match, attack and defend.

We should have ended it, but they got back in to the game, and the uncompromised know how that happened.
Hmmmm. Well, I, purposefully, have never re-watched that game. I remember Micky having a blinding first half, along with winnie, but I also remember us torching opportunities to put em away. I couldn't even remember Blakey getting killed by DJ. But there ya go.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Still hate going back to that day. In my time following the club I've seen 3 GFs and plenty of great sides, but 1998 was arguably the best and most balanced side we've had. The only thing that makes it in any way bearable, is the fact we didn't really deserve it in 1999, so we got something back from the footy Gods...

1998 was easily the best Pagan side I saw. Had everything.

2007 the best Laidley side.

2013 the best Scott side. In every game but kept choking leads. But played very attractive football using our players well without every really being dominated.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
Hmmmm. Well, I, purposefully, have never re-watched that game. I remember Micky having a blinding first half, along with winnie, but I also remember us torching opportunities to put em away. I couldn't even remember Blakey getting killed by DJ. But there ya go.

It all started with McLeod across half back in the second half, he was monstrous.

2.11 in the second quarter, wasn't it? Like you I also haven't watched it back though.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
2013 the best Scott side. In every game but kept choking leads. But played very attractive football using our players well without every really being dominated.

Agree with this. The 2016 side was interesting - we were 9-0 but it never truly felt like we were firing on all cylinders and could have easily dropped a handful of them. However, the performance against Richmond in Tassie was probably the best overall game we played under Brad for mine, we were just utterly ruthless.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Agree with this. The 2016 side was interesting - we were 9-0 but it never truly felt like we were firing on all cylinders and could have easily dropped a handful of them. However, the performance against Richmond in Tassie was probably the best overall game we played under Brad for mine, we were just utterly ruthless.

For some reason against Richmond virtually every year under Scott - until things changed :( - we produced our best games.

Hard, defensively tight but exciting attacking displays. If we could've played them 22 weeks a year until 2017 we'd have walked away with 7 minor premierships.

Never watched the replay, not even a millisecond of a highlight
The game has become a blur over the years, that makes me happy

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Never watched the replay, not even a millisecond of a highlight
The game has become a blur over the years, that makes me happy

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Never seen it. I was walking the Kokoda track at the time - saw them easily account for Melbourne when I was in Port Moresby and assumed we would win in a canter. Heard the news from a couple of ******* Adelaide coppers walking the track in the opposite direction, gleefully telling me how North should have won it but kicked too many behinds. It was about three or four days from the end so I had a few days of deluding myself they had just been ******* with me before I was able to call home and have my worst nightmare confirmed.
Kind of tempted to watch it now to see what Blakey's game was like.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Because they are one of two sides in Rugby League and Union heartland so they get advantages cos their success is good marketing from the AFLs perspective.

Lets face it a good crowd at a league game is 10k, and as for Rugby, hell I bought tickets on the day for the Super rugby GRANDFINAL when the Waratahs beat the crusaders. Last couple of Reds games I've been to would be bigger crowds at a local game. Union is all but dead in this country due to mismanagement. Sydney just isn't mad on sport the way Melbourne is. The swans base at the SCG/eastern suburbs affords them a good following, along with south melbourne. As for GWS, well no one wants to go out there to watch afl, and its really the soccer that gets bums on seats. AFL don't need to compete with other codes, its the best product by far, but they do need to accept that some places people just down pay to go and watch sport live.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
For some reason against Richmond virtually every year under Scott - until things changed :( - we produced our best games.

Hard, defensively tight but exciting attacking displays. If we could've played them 22 weeks a year until 2017 we'd have walked away with 7 minor premierships.

I remember someone on here saying they'd spoken to a couple of senior players at the airport after that game (Boomer?) who had said they hated Richmond more than any other club, purely because of how arrogant and disrespectful the playing group was. Might explain why we always seemed to lift against them, and obviously the Goldy stuff in the final the year before too.

Sadly they then went on to back it up with flags, the scoundrels.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
The one positive hint I got from this is that there's possibly more trades coming IN the door.

The negative is that his love for Sydney is going to influence what we do at the draft table. He's too emotionally attached to them to strategically knock them out with a bid on Campbell. When it comes to North or Sydney, he will do what's right for Sydney. It's no wonder they let him leave with their best blessings. It's magnificent timing for them.
Nah, he'll be right, just like Simmo bid on LMac......all's fair in love n war (and drafting)

Aug 21, 2011
Basement of the J. Edgar Hoover Building
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester City, Melbourne Victory

If we just chipped the ball back and forth a bit longer we would've finished top four. No doubt in my mind.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I remember someone on here saying they'd spoken to a couple of senior players at the airport after that game (Boomer?) who had said they hated Richmond more than any other club, purely because of how arrogant and disrespectful the playing group was. Might explain why we always seemed to lift against them, and obviously the Goldy stuff in the final the year before too.

Cunnington

RICHMOND DON'T WIN FINALS, WE DO

The reason why Richmonds success seems so strange is because to this day they have only beaten us 13 times since 1990. 4 of those wins alone 0have come in the last 5 years. The game that broke them that started the run was the 140 point thumping in 1990.

Weve chalked up 31 wins out of 45 meetings over that period. It was 30-41 at one stage.
Before the Dusty saga we had a 73% winning record against them. Complete ownership. Even now our winning percentage is still around 68%.

Back