John Butcher (Past Players)

Remove this Banner Ad

The young Butch had a ridiculously long run up - but his kicking action was assertive and solid. perhaps he should go back to the old run up.

5.1 all (or mostly) from set shots at least 30m out and varying angles, with a much better looking kick. You can see why he was the most highly rated tall forward in the draft. Interesting to see Campbell Heath in that team too, looked to have the blonde fro going there.

I wonder if his back problems has effected his motion

Our resident spanish bullfighter ( El Cordobes ) would have donned his matador outfit when he saw this vid of young Butch putting them through the high diddle, diddle with virtually every kick, sensational stuff.
Six years later and what has happened?

Hate to say this but I think we and John will be better of with out each other.

Butch just looked like he could not care less at Alberton today. He tackled hard at times and brought the ball to the ground but he also gave up on a lot of chases and leads. The shot he missed was a kick I've never seen. I've seen bad kicks, bad drops, players with their eyes shut, stupid dribble kicks, even kicks where the player mistakenly kicked through the behinds instead of the goals but I can't remember ever seeing a set shot where the player actually tripped over his own leg.
The line "he hasn't had a full pre-season" is losing weight now, he has had a full seasons practice and nearly a full year in the SANFL. The first thing that needs to be fixed is his goalkicking. His teammates will not kick to him if the likely result is 1 point only and he will never improve unless he can be a target.

I will join the chorus here. There did not appear to be any problem with Butcher's kicking in that highlights package. His run up, ball drop and kicking action looked fine and 5.1 was the result. So what has happened?
I think Power Raid may be on the money and Butcher's back injuries may have changed things.

Originally posted by Macca19

29th. - 2 Votes

#11 JOHN BUTCHER

397275.jpg

SANFL Stats (Ave):

Games: 15

Disposals: 10

Marks: 3

Goals: 14

VOTES:

BigFooty: 2 (29th)

Port: 14 (29th)

Toots: 18 (23rd)

AFL Stats:

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/J/John_Butcher.html

Notes:
The Future. The Renaissance. With weeks remaining in the season, all seemed lost for John. He’d managed only indifferent form in the SANFL, had played just the one AFL match in Round 1 and looked odds on to be packing his locker at the end of the season. But then it happened. With Jay Schulz a late exclusion in Round 20, John Butcher came in against GWS and played the final four matches of the season. His form was steady, without being excellent. What John did do is grow in confidence in each game. His marking in the final two matches of the season was sublime. 6 contested marks and 7 marks inside 50 against Gold Coast & Fremantle. Whilst his kicking was still poor and at times embarrassing, there is still a lot to like about our Johnny Butcher.

His end of season form was rewarded with a one year contract offer for 2016. Whilst he is down the depth list with the addition of Dixon and Schulz staying on, I’m sure Port fans are happy that the enigma that is John Butcher continues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back