Remove this Banner Ad

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
What are everyone's favourites?

'The Thing' I think stands out above the rest and is one of the greatest sci-fi/horror films of all time.

Other good ones are

Christine
They Live
Star Man

These are ok

Escape from NY
Halloween

He also made a lot crap though..

Last edited:

1. Assault on Precinct 13
2. Big Trouble in Little China
3. The Thing
4. Starman
5. Christine
6. They Live
7. The Fog
8. Escape From New York
9. Halloween
10. In the Mouth of Madness

Ghosts of Mars and Escape From L.A. are genuine guilty pleasures for me. Ghosts is preposterous but when I watched it with the DVD commentary, I extracted a real sense of fun. L.A. is a terrible retread but benefits from nostalgia two decades on as an artefact of mid-90s pseudo-dystopia and overly ambitious visual effects.

10/10 (masterpiece)
The Thing

8/10 (special)
Dark Star
The Fog
Escape from New York

7.5/10 (impressive)
Assault on Precinct 13

7/10
Prince of Darkness

6.5/10 (pretty cool for what they are)
Big Trouble in Little China
Halloween
Starman

6/10 (watchable, flourishes and cringe)
In the Mouth of Madness
Village of the Damned

5/10
Escape from LA

Haven't seen anything else. The Thing on top with NY/Assault as bridesmaids, and lots of fun genre larks and engaging special features thereafter, would be a reasonable assessment for the casual like me.

Last edited:
Big Trouble in Little China definitely tops the list for me. Not the 'best' movie, but just so re-watchable. Peak Kurt Russell and Kim Cattrall.

Then Escape from New York and The Thing (Kurt Russell and John Carpenter is an under-rated, best director - best actor combination).

Assault on Precinct 13 really captures that gritty feel of the era. A good watch, but not one you'd go back to often.

Halloween has unfortunately been tainted by so many sequels, copy cats and spoofs, it's hard for me to objectively rate it these days. And Christine, even at almost 2 hours, falls into one that almost all of King's horror adaptations got butchered too much, for those that have read the books, to truly enjoy (for me only The Stand, IT and The Shining mini-series escaped that fate as they had more time to develop characters).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10/10 (masterpiece)
The Thing
Seriously how the hell was this film panned by critics..

Can only think of a few very minor nitpicks for mine.

1. The alien spaceship model flyby at the beginning is a bit tacky and imo unnecessary (given how much of the alien is left to the imagination as well), I always had a taped version as a kid that missed this close up and started as it was breaking up into the atmosphere which worked better.

2. A quick switch to a shot near the start of the crew in the rec room playing table tennis and relaxing kind of seems off.

3. The blood and guts in the 'autopsy' is a bit much.

4. Them wandering off alone for a period of time when they know for a fact there is an alien trying to copy that needs isolation and privacy to achieve this task is pretty stupid. (Ebert goes on about this in his review iirc)

Apart from that it's bloody perfect, one of the greatest ever films.

On February 9, 2017, Carpenter announced that a new Halloween film was going to be written by David Gordon Green and Danny McBride and will be directed by Green.[84] It will be a direct sequel to the original film and will ignore all the sequels.[85][86] In September 2017, Jamie Lee Curtis confirmed that she would reprise her role as Laurie Strode.[87] In October, Judy Greer entered negotiations to play Laurie's daughter Karen Strode.[88] In December 2017, it was announced Andi Matichak had signed on to play Karen Strode's daughter and Laurie's granddaughter.[89] The film will be distributed by Universal Pictures, their first involvement in the franchise since distributing 1982's Halloween III: Season of the Witch. On October 17, 2017, Carpenter announced that he would be returning to score the upcoming film, saying "I'll be consulting with the director to see what he feels. I could create a new score, we could update the old score and amplify it, or we could combine those two things. I'll have to see the movie to see what it requires."[90] On December 20, 2017, it was announced that Nick Castle would be reprising his role as Michael Myers.[91] Filming began on January 13, 2018,[92] concluding on February 19, 2018.[93] The film will be released on October 19, 2018.

One of my fav. directors he's very underrated and isn't held in high regard as other directors for some reason.

The Thing is a legit masterpiece.

They Live probably my second favorite of his

His movies are a lot of fun and i love his scores for his films as well.

He started the whole slasher genre with halloween as well.

Been YEARS since I watched John Carpenter movies. Decided to watch some last night.

Watched Precinct and They Live.

Carpenter reminds me a lot of Sam Peckinpah....kind of a documentary shooting style, realism, and very pastoral of America. As in, down on the streets, the roads, the alleyways, vistas, showcasing American people, cities, towns, scapes, etc.

I love In the Mouth of Madness. The bike scene freaks me out every time.

I love In the Mouth of Madness. The bike scene freaks me out every time.

Have you read Sutter Cane?

c1d0f8d797c4b3995a8a70f30c777c22.jpg

Fun fact: The kid on the bike at the very end (he gives Sam Neil directions to get away from Hobb's End) is future Darth Vader Hayden Christiensen

In-The-Mouth-Of-Madness-paper-boy-0.jpg

Watched In The Mouth of Madness and Prince of Darkness in the past year.

Thoroughly enjoyed both

Remove this Banner Ad

Back