Remove this Banner Ad

Jade's

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Cena will retire as the greatest wretler of all time. Is only 34 (still relatively young in wrestling terms) and he already has 19 Championships including 10 WWE Championships and 2 World Heavyweight Championships.

John%2BCena%2Bwwe%2Bwallpaper.jpg

Umad???

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
Thanks - I needed a laugh.

Can only be carried to a good match if partnered with an excellent worker. Hated by hardcore fans/adults. Can't draw money even he was covered in glue and dragged through a bank (thanks, Jim Cornette). His promos suck. He's one of the key reasons why WWE has lost a large proportion of its viewing audience (ie older wrestling fans like me).

Ric Flair was NWA champion off and on for 10 years when it actually meant something. He was the life-blood for all of the regional promotions, put on an endless array of brilliant matches, made his opponents look a million bucks in just about every match (which ensured those companies stayed in business), created stars (Sting, Lex Luger, Nikita Koloff), could wrestle any house style (could brawl with Terry Funk, put on a technical classic with Tatsumi Fujinami, wrestle a classic US style match with Kerry Von Erich) and cut promos as good as anyone in the game.

Just because modern wrestling bookers (oh, sorry I mean script writers) change titles more times than wrestlers change boots does not make John Cena a great wrestler.

Jade's

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Thanks - I needed a laugh.

Can only be carried to a good match if partnered with an excellent worker. Hated by hardcore fans/adults. Can't draw money even he was covered in glue and dragged through a bank (thanks, Jim Cornette). His promos suck. He's one of the key reasons why WWE has lost a large proportion of its viewing audience (ie older wrestling fans like me).

Ric Flair was NWA champion off and on for 10 years when it actually meant something. He was the life-blood for all of the regional promotions, put on an endless array of brilliant matches, made his opponents look a million bucks in just about every match (which ensured those companies stayed in business), created stars (Sting, Lex Luger, Nikita Koloff), could wrestle any house style (could brawl with Terry Funk, put on a technical classic with Tatsumi Fujinami, wrestle a classic US style match with Kerry Von Erich) and cut promos as good as anyone in the game.

Just because modern wrestling bookers (oh, sorry I mean script writers) change titles more times than wrestlers change boots does not make John Cena a great wrestler.

Fail! Cena cuts better promos than anyone. Has been the most successful face the industry has ever had and is a great heel too!

He has made more money for the WWE than anyone else. His wrestling skills are great. He carried the rock at wrestlemania and has made Orton look decent during feuds :eek:

I'm hardly a cena fan but to argue he won't be remembered as one of the great (I won't say greatest) is taking the cena hate to an extreme, on numbers alone he deserves that regard. Even in terms of crowd reaction, just because it isn't all fans he always gets a reaction and never the seagull pop.

I'll also dispute he doesn't draw money, he has been the WWE main money spinner (especially when it comes to Merch) for years now. Even out of
Wrestling sponsorship, from subway to fruity pebbles he is used every where.

So in short, you just can't argue cena won't be remebered as a great.

borrat

Club Legend
Jul 24, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
highly doubt all the kids will remember him when he retires

he's alot like a boy band to be honest loved by kids hated by adults

Jade's

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm hardly a cena fan but to argue he won't be remembered as one of the great (I won't say greatest) is taking the cena hate to an extreme, on numbers alone he deserves that regard. Even in terms of cried reaction, just because it isn't all fans he always gets a reaction and never the seagull pop.

I'll also dispute he doesn't draw money, he has been the WWE main money spinner (especially when it comes to Merch) for years now. Even out of
Wrestling sponsorship, from subway to fruity pebbles he is used every where.

So in short, you just can't argue cena won't be remebered as a great.

Can't understand the hate for him. Will be remembered fondly in 10 years time like SCSA and the rock are now!

Jade's

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

That is a rediculous comment. He is hated by a very vocal but rather small section of the online wrestling community. You don't think that the Wwe writers don't know exactly how they are manipulating the crowds?

Has been and will be their biggest asset

Disagree like hogan heading into the early to mid 90s, he maybe a little stale as a character but it doesn't and won't diminish his standing

JuddyBuddy

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
That is a rediculous comment. He is hated by a very vocal but rather small section of the online wrestling community. You don't think that the Wwe writers don't know exactly how they are manipulating the crowds?

Did you watch Raw the night after Wrestlemania? 15k fans in unison chanting "You're a loser!". Hardly a small section.

Anyway, I neither like nor hate him. Actually feel a bit sorry for him of late due to all the flack he cops and now getting beatin up on by Lesnar every Monday. His "character" though is what makes me feel indifferent towards him, he is likeable sure and the whole take me or leave me attitude he has is redeeming, but he lacks a certain charisma and uniqueness that guys like The Rock, Stone Cold, Taker etc. have in bucketloads. Qualities that make them impossible to forget.

Sep 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle Jets, Cleveland Browns

He is the sole purpose for why wrestling has lost so many 'fans' over the last few years.

Watch the WWE and say their product isn't directed at children, and the leader of this new direction is John Cena. He is the reason why the 18-34 demographic is at all time lows in the WWE.

As for best wrestler evvaaa? Please. You're either 12 or stupid. John Cena wouldn't be the s**t on Stone Colds, The Rocks, Ric Flair's etc. porch.

U mad brah?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

djrossie16

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Cena is just a really really really bad wrestler. Good presence tho. Maybe he should try and emulate the Rock and do more movies.

Edit: Just going through the Cena movies on IMDB. There's one I haven't heard of until just now called Legendary. It has Patricia Clarkson and Danny Glover in it. Wow 5.7 rating too. Might actually check it out!

Jade's

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
He is the sole purpose for why wrestling has lost so many 'fans' over the last few years.

Watch the WWE and say their product isn't directed at children, and the leader of this new direction is John Cena. He is the reason why the 18-34 demographic is at all time lows in the WWE.

As for best wrestler evvaaa? Please. You're either 12 or stupid. John Cena wouldn't be the s**t on Stone Colds, The Rocks, Ric Flair's etc. porch.

U mad brah?

Rubbish. At least half the viewers 18-34 love Cena. The writers have him slowly turning heel.

Cents record either already surpasses those you listed above or will very shortly. He is clearly the best wrestler since the turn of the century and will no doubt finish the best ever. Best in terms of titles. Best in terms of promos. Best in terms of value to the wwe through merchandise sales/promotions.

I aint mad... But you sure look it :eek:

Sep 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle Jets, Cleveland Browns
Rubbish. At least half the viewers 18-34 love Cena. The writers have him slowly turning heel.

Cents record either already surpasses those you listed above or will very shortly. He is clearly the best wrestler since the turn of the century and will no doubt finish the best ever. Best in terms of titles. Best in terms of promos. Best in terms of value to the wwe through merchandise sales/promotions.

I aint mad... But you sure look it :eek:

Proof of viewership or GTFO. I have numbers that prove Raw has gone down in viewership since Cena has been the face of the company. You don't. And If you did, they are false.

Wrestling isn't a sport where win loss records mean anything. So he can have all the title reigns he wants. If he has won 19 championships, then he has also lost 19 championships. Pretty poor.

Best promo's? LOL You really are 12. Probably get all giggity when he talks.

Fail! Cena cuts better promos than anyone. Has been the most successful face the industry has ever had and is a great heel too!

CM Punk, The Rock, Chris Jericho are all better on the mic. Sure he's successful but not the most, the Rock, SCSA, Hogan are way more popular faces in their time.

He is solid in a lot of areas. His in ring work is ok. Mic skills good. Definitely has the tools to be much better than he is though.

What is so disappointing is that he really isn't going outside his comfort zone as a performer. The whole Rise Above Hate tag line is noble, but how far does that take you in your career?

He doesn't necessarily have to turn heel, but he does need to refresh his character in some regard. He has played it way too safe for way too long. The whole 'SuperCena' tagline is justified, but what he doesn't understand is that the hate isn't levelled at him as such but WWE creative.

For someone that clearly has a lot of pride in their craft, and a tremendous amount of drive and equal amount of respect for the business is great, but he needs to be honest and understand that his 'character' has become stale and he needs to change things up more other than the colour of his t-shirt and cap every year.

Hogan at least did a 180 and got a few more years of popularity with the nWo, but he is hated in TNA by the diehard fans doing the same stuff he did 25 years ago.

It's a shame that merch sales dictate storylines these days, but they are in a business to make money, and as long as WWE remains PG and parents by their kids merchandise. Cena will be doing the same thing he is doing until he retires.

I hope he knows how he wants to be remembered before he packs it in.

Whilst I detect some tongue in cheek by the OP

How will he be remembered?

Most popular superstar - Very well might
Most well rounded performer - Doubt it
Greatest wrestler - Absolutely not

JuddyBuddy

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Great post, ryz. Summed it up well.

Jades if you think he will "go down thes best in terms of value to the WWE", have you stopped and thought for a minute that he wouldn't even have a job if it wasn't for guys like stone cold, the rock and Mick Foley completely transforming the business?

*waits for jades to come back and ramble on about championships and promos*

Apr 23, 2009
Barcelona, Catalonia.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Penguins, Aston Villa, Adel Utd.

Define successful. The greatest ever Face in wrestling history is Ricky The Dragon Steamboat. End of story.

Jade's

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
IF he had been around in 1998 I think we would compare him to say... Billy Gunn?

You are kidding right?

Rock and SCSA and HHH Taker etc...none of them have never come close to comparing with how over John Cena is in the WWE universe. He is the single focal point where all those wrestlers shared the limelight even in their peaks :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back