Toast John Kennedy Snr elevated to Legend Status in the Hall of Fame

Remove this Banner Ad

This should probably go in the Vic bias thread, but the Legends section of the Australian Football Hall of Fame is one of the worst examples of Vic bias that exists.

John Kennedy Sr was a great player who went on to be a great coach.

As a player, John Cahill has, ON TOP of Kennedy Sr's record, an extra

100 games
4 premierships
1 extra year as captain.

As a coach, John Cahill has, ON TOP of Kennedy Sr's record, an extra

212 games
7 premierships

John Cahill has an entire 1st ballot Hall of Fame football career on top of John Kennedy Sr's record. And John Cahill arguably isn't even the most deserving footballer from SA or WA to attain legend status.

Poor form to put down John Kennedy in this manner & its got nothing to do with John Cahills stellar career.

Imho Kennedys performance makes him a well deserved Legend.

Oh man, there is come blind, blatant ignorance going on in this thread. Either that or just mindless Hawk-envy and anti-Hawk ideology. The man is the number one reason why we're the club we are today. 13 flags can be traced back to him. Turned us from the biggest easybeats in VFL history to the biggest powerhouse in the league. The single most important figure in the most successful club of the last 6 decades. It is NO coincidence that we have won 13 flags in the same time that Collingwood has won two, since his time. Unquestionably one of the greatest figures in VFL/AFL history.

And some are judging him on some numbers on his wiki page. FFS.

Absolutely deserved Kanga!!

A very fine Hawthorn record but I don’t think most outside of Hawthorn think of John Kennedy Sr as legendary.

He was a good player in a poor team in the 50s.

I’ve never heard him mentioned in conversations about the great coaches. Easily overshadowed by contemporaries Norm Smith, Tom Hafey and Ron Barassi in that regard.

Helped transform the Hawks but adding a bit of mayo to say he is responsible for 13 flags.

Last edited:
If you just looked at the HOF you'd question if anything good ever happen in footy outside the 60s and 70s...

Good player, great coach but quite a few in front of him IMO.

And before hawks fans jump on me, I had Jason Dunstall as next in line.

A very fine Hawthorn record but I don’t think most outside of Hawthorn think of John Kennedy Sr as legendary. Im it as old as some but

He was a good player in a poor team in the 50s.

I’ve never heard him mentioned in conversations about the great coaches. Easily overshadowed by contemporaries Norm Smith, Tom Hafey and Ron Barassi in that regard.

Helped transform the Hawks but adding a bit of mayo to say he is responsible for 13 flags.
You have ZERO idea what you’re talking about. So I’ll educate you. Put it this way, if he hadn’t come in and done what he did for our club, we’d be lucky to have 2 or 3 flags in total now.

Here endeth the lesson.

You guys don’t get what a legend is. It is about their contribution to the game. What they did and what they inspired other to do. JK changed the way players trained. Hawthorn in the 1961 and 1971 had little skill, but were fitter and stronger. He set up and inspired the most successful club of the past 60 years. Without him we could be like St Kilda. He is probably responsible for 13 premierships.
That is the stuff of legend.
Hawthorn as an entire club has won 13 Premierships since 1961. The vast majority of which John Kennedy Snr had no direct impact in.

In that same time period, John Cahill played in three premierships and was the head coach for 10 more. John Cahill on his own is as successful as the Hawthorn Football Club in the last 60 years.

It seems that you don't understand what a legend is. And quite frankly there are plenty of footballers that should be ahead of John Cahill for entry as Legends of the Australian Football Hall of Fame.

You have ZERO idea what you’re talking about. So I’ll educate you. Put it this way, if he hadn’t come in and done what he did for our club, we’d be lucky to have 2 or 3 flags in total now.

Here endeth the lesson.
Your clubs last 4 flags are down to the people that Hawthorn pinched from Port Adelaide at the end of 2004.

John Cahill's influence at Port Adelaide has had more impact on Hawthorn's last 4 flags than Kennedy Snr.

Last edited:
The mythology surrounding him is legendary but without being there to witness it, it’s impossible to know how much impact he really had.

His stats are excellent without being amazing, so unlike a Norm Smith we’re forced to buy into the aura that supposedly surrounds him.

If he’s responsible for all 13 flags then he’s also accountable for the club nearly going out of business in 1996, the team shitting the bed in the last quarter of the 1984 GF, and the acquisition of Tyrone Vickery, otherwise he’s being deified and just taking credit for the good stuff.

Hawthorn as an entire club has won 13 Premierships since 1961. The vast majority of which John Kennedy Snr had no direct impact in.

In that same time period, John Cahill played in three premierships and was the head coach for 10 more. John Cahill on his own is as successful as the Hawthorn Football Club in the last 60 years.

It seems that you don't understand what a legend is. And quite frankly there are plenty of footballers that should be ahead of John Cahill for entry as Legends of the Australian Football Hall of Fame.

Your clubs last 4 flags are down to the people that Hawthorn pinched from Port Adelaide at the end of 2004.

John Cahill's influence at Port Adelaide has had more impact on Hawthorn's last 4 flags than Kennedy Snr.

Not sure about that,

The equivalent would be if Hawthorn could add its U19, Night Flags and Reserve competitions given Cahill ‘won’ them in an inferior competition.

Cahill had a few cracks at the VFL / AFL and failed. That’s why he’s not a legend. Simples

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Instead of whining about Vic bias and talking down a magnificent and thoroughly deserved achievement, maybe go and bitch about other people you deem 'more worthy' in another thread. Better yet, actually read the criteria the award is judged on instead of slapping his name into google and passing judgement.

Not sure about that,

The equivalent would be if Hawthorn could add its U19, Night Flags and Reserve competitions given Cahill ‘won’ them in an inferior competition.

Cahill had a few cracks at the VFL / AFL and failed. That’s why he’s not a legend. Simples

Your argument is flawed if you want to bring up AFL cause JK didn’t coach in the AFL.
He coached in a State Comp just like Cahill.

And reading through all the posts. JK is responsible for everything the Hawks have done.

Going to make it very hard for Clarkson to even get in the HOF

Legend status has just been downgraded, terrible decision. This reeks of AFL giving it to one of their own because they included his work as an administrator of the game, which is illegal by the criteria. There are plenty more people more deserving than Kennedy based on the criteria, Cahill, Dunstall, Ablett Snr, Carey, Parkin, and more who have all done more under the criteria. Kennedy enigma lasts because he was a great orator more than anything else.

This is why the NRL have done it so much better with the immortal status, don't use it unless absolutely sure of someone being such.

I’m not fussed on the whole legend thing but it’s interesting to note. JK was inducted into the Hall of Fame for his coaching. So does that only count for the next step ?

Here endeth the lesson.
So he is a Hawthorn legend. Reading that a lot in this thread.

Apparently he is responsible for all 13 Hawthorn premierships according to Hawthorn fans. I guess that eliminates Allan Jeans, Jason Dunstall, Luke Hodge, Alistair Clarkson and others ever being considered for Legend status. Just bit part players because a guy who played in the 50s and coached into the 70s won all those flags in the 2010s.

Last edited:
If Kennedy can be elevated prior to Jack Oatey, Fos Williams, Phil Matson or even John Cahill, it is clear the Hall is not representative of the the game, but instead represents Victorian opinion and the apparent 60s to 70s VFL golden era.

Another case of the victors rewriting history, with the status of the VFL being elevated much higher than it was in reality due to the continuance factor, and absolute disrespect being shown to the history and achievements in SA and WA.

John Kennedy Snr is a worthy Hall of Fame inductee, a terrific career and ongoing influence. Sits behind many in the queue for elevation to legend by a long stretch, and until today have never heard anyone refer to him as a potential elevation.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Does he get Legend status without the famous speech?

Probably not.

Not really a shot at him, single acts define people all the time. Funny how it works. I wonder how much thought he put into it or whether he was just bursting with frustration. Never knowing it’d come to define his whole life.
Most disrespectful and ignorant comment I've seen on this forum.
Kennedy is the Patriarch of the most successful VFL/AFL of the past 60 years.
I suggest you suspend yourself for your comment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back