John Longmire and the 90s - What-if?

Remove this Banner Ad

95 season - it's 30 years ago, but it seemed we had a few guys who didn't quote click that year? North had a good team and on their day were difficult to beat, but also had some frustrating losses
Probably a little similar to Geelong in 2006 only not as inconsistent or as poor. I remember losing three in a row mid-season to some lower teams that cost us any chance of a top four finish.

EDIT: We lost to Sydney, Adelaide and Melbourne between rounds 15 and 17, all finished outside the eight.

35 was on my back through the glory years of the 90s. So disappointed he didn't get the 100 in his final game Coleman year. Doesn't hurt so much now as winners don't get near it
I was watching a country footy final the day he kicked 2-8 against the Pies to finish on ‘98.
The game I was watching was in the heartland of where he was recruited from. I kid you not everyone must have had their car radios on listening in, because the audible moans of disappointment that reverberated around the ground with each miss was amazing and something I’ll never forget.
Oh and one of my all time favourite Horse matches would have to be the night he kicked 8 for NSW against the Vics in the wet in a State game, he was on fire that night.

Longmire was great to watch, and I was privileged to witness his 14.2 (not 100% on the behinds) against Melbourne in 1990 at the G.
Pretty sure Longmire played in the backline Rd1 and Bennett had a day out, as Martyn played only 15 games that year.

Next game 12.5 at FF with 18 marks in a night game against Richmond, and finished on 98.

Nearly witnessed 2 players kick 10 on the same team in 93. Longmire 9.4 and McAdam 10.6. If not for a 4 goals 2nd quarter and 10.9 in the last, the record was under real threat in that Sydney game.

To show how potent we where in the 90s, I went to Anzac day 91, where we coughed up 19.6 to Sydney in the first half. Still managed to win the game by 54 points, with a lazy 53 shots on goal.

Last edited:

The emergence of Mckernan seemed to counter Longmire getting injured. Mckernan was incredible for those few years in the mid 90’s when Longmire was injured. Mckernan’s year in 96 is up there with the best I have ever seen.

Pagan moving sholl forward was a master stroke as well. Sholl was an incredible set shot for goal also.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back