Remove this Banner Ad

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-12/swans-lock-in-john-longmire-for-three-more-seasons

Can't argue with that logic. We've had a continued period of success under his watch and if we don't get a flag this year I feel we're not far away with the talent the club has been able to bring through.

Remember at the end of last season when some were calling for a change of guard? I know we've been a bit spoilt with success but there's so many clubs that would kill for a coach of Horse's calibre. Credit where credit is due.

I'd assume this means that there's no distinct succession plan in place as some suspected was the case when we held onto Dew.
I just made the same comment on the MB. I don't know if Dew would be that patient. Off to Brisvegas maybe if Leppa gets the axe?

I've questioned him in the latter half of 2015 but he has been superb this year.

Realistically (give or take a few brain farts at the hands of the players which he cannot control in the dying seconds), we should really be 13-2.

We've been really blessed as supporters to not have to deal with coaching drama since Roos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if we win another flag in the next few years (which isn't out of reach), he becomes the greatest coach in the history of the club, right? Would be the only one to win two flags and we don't look like missing the finals any time soon.
Yep. No Swans coach has won 2 flags with us. His record of finishing no lower than 6th (in his first season) is pretty good too

Great move by the club.

Since Eade took over we've probably had the most stable coaching group of any team in footy.

3 senior coaches in 20 years and counting. Hint to the rest of the footy industry: this how you do it.

I just made the same comment on the MB. I don't know if Dew would be that patient. Off to Brisvegas maybe if Leppa gets the axe?
Coaching death sentence going up there

As others have stated Horse had me worried last year but have been impressed this year, congrats. Dew has openly looked at head coach roles and this will cement his intent; at this stage the only two roles available at seasons end would be the Lions and Tigers, and long odds at Freo. Know some people involved with Freo and there's rumbles within.

Is it fair to say that Dew will probably leave the club if attractive coaching opportunities open up? He's still young enough though, maybe he'll stick around and take over 2020/21. It's a pretty attractive prospect here though, surely. Great lifestyle, no Victorian media pressure, will be inherited a great list (touch wood). etc. etc.

A big extension there but I like it as I think Horse has shown this year, or at least the beginning of this year, that he is capable of evolving our game plan.

Also Roos essentially coached from 2003 to 2010 so if Longmire sees out his contract he will at the very least of coached between 2011 and 2020 meaning he will be the longest serving coach in Swans history.

Is it fair to say that Dew will probably leave the club if attractive coaching opportunities open up? He's still young enough though, maybe he'll stick around and take over 2020/21. It's a pretty attractive prospect here though, surely. Great lifestyle, no Victorian media pressure, will be inherited a great list (touch wood). etc. etc.
Dew will be 41 by the end of the 2020 season so not very old but you would have to think if he gets a crack at a senior coaching role he'd have to take it.

Longmire had just turned 40 when he got the promotion so it all depends on how patient Dew is prepared to be. For the sake of the club I hope he hangs around because I like the idea of promoting within the ranks and maintaining the culture rather than seismic shifts (unless we're a dud team then and need a shake up).

Dew will be 41 by the end of the 2020 season so not very old but you would have to think if he gets a crack at a senior coaching role he'd have to take it.

Longmire had just turned 40 when he got the promotion so it all depends on how patient Dew is prepared to be. For the sake of the club I hope he hangs around because I like the idea of promoting within the ranks and maintaining the culture rather than seismic shifts (unless we're a dud team then and need a shake up).

I guess it'll be a matter of how attractive the prospect is. I can see him leaving for a big club like Richmond that have resources but are poorly utilised, another interstate club or expansion like Brisbane or GC? Probably not. I mean he's guaranteed a senior job with us. I don't know if that's worth gambling on with a basket case like Freo for e.g. He won't see success at some clubs like Freo until a few years anyway, probably the same as waiting to take over.

R
I guess it'll be a matter of how attractive the prospect is. I can see him leaving for a big club like Richmond that have resources but are poorly utilised, another interstate club or expansion like Brisbane or GC? Probably not. I mean he's guaranteed a senior job with us. I don't know if that's worth gambling on with a basket case like Freo for e.g. He won't see success at Freo until a few years anyway, probably the same as waiting to take over.
reckon Kirk will be promoted before Dew

Remove this Banner Ad

Back