Coach John Longmire - Part II

What should we do about the coaching situation?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
And playing this way...we won’t be a contender either. Which direction do you want to go, into the known or the unknown?

It isn't just that we are not a contender, it is the fact that we play such a boring brand of football. Last year for instance Brisbane were not that good, but they did play an exciting brand of football that was fun to watch.

We should be getting 40-45k to those but from arms length and a healthy conversation with a few last year, the scheduling doesn’t help!
That is so true! Thursday night games are a nightmare, and Friday night games are too late. The 4.10 games mean that the whole Eastern side of the stadium is looking into the setting sun for the first half. What ever happened to the 1.10 games on Saturday or Sunday arvos? You got a good view, you could take the kids, and it take up half your weekend!

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
That is so true! Thursday night games are a nightmare, and Friday night games are too late. The 4.10 games mean that the whole Eastern side of the stadium is looking into the setting sun for the first half. What ever happened to the 1.10 games on Saturday or Sunday arvos? You got a good view, you could take the kids, and it take up half your weekend!
Surely wouldn’t be that hard to schedule? 1.10pm Sydney game, 4.10pm Adelaide game, 7.10pm Perth game (this could be later)...there’s 3 games out of 9 in a round

Surely wouldn’t be that hard to schedule? 1.10pm Sydney game, 4.10pm Adelaide game, 7.10pm Perth game (this could be later)...there’s 3 games out of 9 in a round

Mate! Give 'em a ring... there's obviously a role vacant and you'd be perfect for it!!! :D

Skeparovic

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I don’t think any of us see that. He says it but it doesn’t translate. You’ve seen all the discontent with the way we’ve played over the past years, as a former mod...now how many ‘years’ is that now?

Have to disagree with you there Mick. Longmire's areas of concern from round 1 were adressed and improved on in round 2. Skill deficits were what let the team down on Friday night as well as poor decisions.
I think a little perspective is required on this board in that areas of deficiency aren't all going to be fixed over the span of one week or even one pre-season. The effort and workrate was much improved, although ultimately the result wasn't. You need to improve processes before you will see the change in outcome.

Our defenders need to understand that they cannot bear hug players in contests, move players under the contest, nor touch players after a 50m penalty has been payed. We can only hope that behind the scenes through the appropriate channels the club will show the Zac Jones, Cunningham and Reid incidents for a please explain from the umpire department.

I think John Longmire was very diplomatic in the way he addressed concerns about free kick differentials in the media conference. His message was delivered without incurring a substantial fine for himself or the club. That is how a true professional delivers their message.

Last edited:

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Have to disagree with you there Mick. Longmire's areas of concern from round 1 were adressed and improved on in round 2. Skill deficits were what let the team down on Friday night as well as poor decisions.
I think a little perspective is required on this board in that areas of deficiency aren't all going to be fixed over the span of one week or even one pre-season. The effort and workrate was much improved, although ultimately the result wasn't. You need to improve processes before you will see the change in outcome.

Our defenders need to understand that they cannot bear hug players in contests, move players under the contest, nor touch players after a 50m penalty has been payed. We can only hope that behind the scenes through the appropriate channels the club will show the Zac Jones, Cunningham and Reid incidents for a please explain from the umpire department.

I think John Longmire was very diplomatic in the way he addressed concerns about free kick differentials in the media conference. His message was deliverer without incurring a substantial fine for himself or the club. That is how a true professional delivers their message.
So there’s no discontent and that non-discontent hasn’t existed for years? Yet one week later there was an improvement but we’ll be diplomatic and not blame umpires? Those umpiring calls happen all the time (not just against Sydney), our game hasn’t improved and it doesn’t look like it will with this current defensive style. Go watch other games, we are being leapfrogged!

Still only get 30,000 first game on our ground , where are these people , if they're not going now they won't go to future games as they're obviously bandwagoners.
I dont quite understand what your point is here. We had a crowd of 32.5k which means that more of us "bandwagoners" turned up amid the turmoil of Friday night in Sydney than turned up to round 1 on a Saturday evening to Docklands.
Our average week night crowd is 34k so only down 1.5k, so what's the issue?

Skeparovic

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
So there’s no discontent and that non-discontent hasn’t existed for years? Yet one week later there was an improvement but we’ll be diplomatic and not blame umpires? Those umpiring calls happen all the time (not just against Sydney), our game hasn’t improved and it doesn’t look like it will with this current defensive style. Go watch other games, we are being leapfrogged!

I've watched three games so far this weekend and one thing I know is that form can be a weekly proposition. How have the Deemons been going so far this year? Their attacking gameplan was supposed to have them on top of the table in 2019 according to some pundits. The Giants (who are praised by many here for their attacking gameplan) were completely dominating Eagles throughout most of the 2nd quarter yesterday, however made poor decisions / execution when choosing inside 50 targets. If you do this then no matter how good your transition / attacking gameplan is the other team will have opportunities to counter-attack and score. The Tigers for all of their impressive results last year may struggle in upcoming weeks without two of their bookend players through injury.

By discontentment are you referring to players or Swans fans? I know for a fact that their is plenty of discontent from fans that visit this forum. Opinions from fans however do not equal facts and can be proven either accurate or disproven altogether. I will openly say thay I don't have any sources or contacts within the industry. I have not seen any evidence of discontent within the playing group. I didn't read about numerous 'wanted' Swans players requesting trades at the end of last season.

One opinion that I will share is an observation that some players looked quite spent early in the game on Friday night. There were occasions where players chose to jog rather than chase. I saw a statistic comparing the amount of running Swans players do compared to their opponents flash on the tv screen and it did seem substantially higher. Does this mean discontentment with the game plan? It would be a reach to suggest that it is. I would suspect that quite a few Swans are still underdone after returning from injury and working towards match fitness (e.g. Franklin, Florent, Jones, Heeney).

I dont quite understand what your point is here. We had a crowd of 32.5k which means that more of us "bandwagoners" turned up amid the turmoil of Friday night in Sydney than turned up to round 1 on a Saturday evening to Docklands.
Our average week night crowd is 34k so only down 1.5k, so what's the issue?

There was a good turn out of Bloods supporters at Docklands in Rd1. Yes we were not in the majority, as we sometimes are, but we were very loud and proud. Not a contest, but I am sure you would agree there are many rusted n Bloods fans here, as there are in Sydney.

One thing different between our Melbourne and Sydney based fans is we are not polite about umpiring standards.

Speaking of which-

I think John Longmire was very diplomatic in the way he addressed concerns about free kick differentials in the media conference. His message was delivered without incurring a substantial fine for himself or the club. That is how a true professional delivers their message.

I am still appalled by his milk sop comments. The failure of our Club to stick up for our team just sticks like a bone in the throat.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
There was a good turn out of Bloods supporters at Docklands in Rd1. Yes we were not in the majority, as we sometimes are, but we were very loud and proud. Not a contest, but I am sure you would agree there are many rusted n Bloods fans here, as there are in Sydney.

One thing different between our Melbourne and Sydney based fans is we are not polite about umpiring standards.

Speaking of which-

I am still appalled by his milk sop comments. The failure of our Club to stick up for our team just sticks like a bone in the throat.

Remember we cant hold the umpires accountable for poor performances so how is it going to improve? basically just hope your good enough to overcome big changes in momentum.

Maybe it cost us the game maybe it didnt but gee if your not allowed to call out the shiteness on friday night whats the point.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
I've watched three games so far this weekend and one thing I know is that form can be a weekly proposition. How have the Deemons been going so far this year? Their attacking gameplan was supposed to have them on top of the table in 2019 according to some pundits. The Giants (who are praised by many here for their attacking gameplan) were completely dominating Eagles throughout most of the 2nd quarter yesterday, however made poor decisions / execution when choosing inside 50 targets. If you do this then no matter how good your transition / attacking gameplan is the other team will have opportunities to counter-attack and score. The Tigers for all of their impressive results last year may struggle in upcoming weeks without two of their bookend players through injury.

By discontentment are you referring to players or Swans fans? I know for a fact that their is plenty of discontent from fans that visit this forum. Opinions from fans however do not equal facts and can be proven either accurate or disproven altogether. I will openly say thay I don't have any sources or contacts within the industry. I have not seen any evidence of discontent within the playing group. I didn't read about numerous 'wanted' Swans players requesting trades at the end of last season.

One opinion that I will share is an observation that some players looked quite spent early in the game on Friday night. There were occasions where players chose to jog rather than chase. I saw a statistic comparing the amount of running Swans players do compared to their opponents flash on the tv screen and it did seem substantially higher. Does this mean discontentment with the game plan? It would be a reach to suggest that it is. I would suspect that quite a few Swans are still underdone after returning from injury and working towards match fitness (e.g. Franklin, Florent, Jones, Heeney).
Predominantly discontent from spectstors but the rumor of discontent from players last year...was and most likely remains (I’d be guessing this at this time but the playing group hasn’t changed that much) true!

To address your first point, all games are week to week but I’d rather lose playing an attacking brand than sit back and lose playing this defensive crap.

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
It was fascinating watching us Mark the ball then turn 90 degrees away from goal and look to kick short to the fences.

It's as if we're finally rolling out a response to the Hawthorn zonal tactics that destroyed our 2012 system...but 7 years too late.

Skeparovic

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Predominantly discontent from spectstors but the rumor of discontent from players last year...was and most likely remains (I’d be guessing this at this time but the playing group hasn’t changed that much) true!

To address your first point, all games are week to week but I’d rather lose playing an attacking brand than sit back and lose playing this defensive crap.

Thanks for clarifying Mick. I note it is disappointing for many fans that the scoring opportunities have dried up compared to 2014-16. I think that a large part of that has been personnel related in the midfield. Swans have always had a workmanlike midfield without any breakaway speed players (e.g. Robbie Grey). They have attempted to address that (e.g. Ling, Florent), however it takes some time for those players to develop to the extent they can play in the centre in seniors. No point having a fast draftee in the midfield who easily gets pushed off the ball, is unable to hold tackles or have the core body strength to break tackles.

I think the attacking brand will come through improving the processes each week. It may be that there are two composed quarters instead of just one which may result in a win instead of a loss. Yes all fans would love to see a 4 quarter effort which results in 100+ points scored, however even the best clubs have struggled to achieve that in 2019. As a case in point today Hawthorn kicked only 1 goal in a quarter and the doggies kicked 9 goals in the last.
https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-31/bulldogs-storm-home-to-stun-ailing-hawks

We can agree that we would like to see more goals kicked as that is what brings excitement to all fans alike.

I think it will happen throughout the season especially once Naismith returns as winning the clearances generally means less running for your midfield players who can time when to go rather than having to chase repeatedly. Once Heeney has recovered from his ankle injury he will play more in the center as desired by many and will impact there as he does wherever he plays.

I said largely, not completely.
Well it may well be true, I just wondered if there was a demographic somewhere... it'd be an interesting read. In the last 12 years I've lived all over greater Metropolitan Sydney, and no matter where I've traveled to games from, there always seems to be 1000s travelling with me. Could be one of those eye deceiving things, or could be true...

This is what the H&A form looks like since our bye in 2018

Untitled.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back