Coach John Longmire - Part II

What should we do about the coaching situation?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my short-list for coaches

1. Blake Caracella
  2. Sam Mitchell (probably will stay at Hawks and take over)
  3. Justin Longmuir
  4. Matthew Nicks

Mine is

1- outside hire

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Thanks for clarifying Mick. I note it is disappointing for many fans that the scoring opportunities have dried up compared to 2014-16. I think that a large part of that has been personnel related in the midfield. Swans have always had a workmanlike midfield without any breakaway speed players (e.g. Robbie Grey). They have attempted to address that (e.g. Ling, Florent), however it takes some time for those players to develop to the extent they can play in the centre in seniors. No point having a fast draftee in the midfield who easily gets pushed off the ball, is unable to hold tackles or have the core body strength to break tackles.

I think the attacking brand will come through improving the processes each week. It may be that there are two composed quarters instead of just one which may result in a win instead of a loss. Yes all fans would love to see a 4 quarter effort which results in 100+ points scored, however even the best clubs have struggled to achieve that in 2019. As a case in point today Hawthorn kicked only 1 goal in a quarter and the doggies kicked 9 goals in the last.
https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-31/bulldogs-storm-home-to-stun-ailing-hawks

We can agree that we would like to see more goals kicked as that is what brings excitement to all fans alike.

I think it will happen throughout the season especially once Naismith returns as winning the clearances generally means less running for your midfield players who can time when to go rather than having to chase repeatedly. Once Heeney has recovered from his ankle injury he will play more in the center as desired by many and will impact there as he does wherever he plays.
I too hope this is correct but I don’t see it. Re midfield, watching Dangerfield & Kelly et al last night bursting just like Gray certainly created some envy.

Skeparovic

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I too hope this is correct but I don’t see it. Re midfield, watching Dangerfield & Kelly et al last night bursting just like Gray certainly created some envy.

That's okay I've also felt envy on plenty of occasions when watching above et al players routinely bursting from packs.

A key difference is also the age profile of Geelong and other clubs compared to the Swans as mentioned by Swansfan51 in another post. The two year trade ban significantly handicapped the club from regenerating the mid-late 20's list profile so there is a big gap between the kids and the veterans. Come a few more years the kids will be in their prime and Swans will contend again. Don't see it happening this year really to be honest, however if Rowbottom or McInerney get a go at it like Parker did in his draft year then that could improve the depth of rotations for the future. If Tippet's salary is gone by years end then there could be a small chest to throw at a good midfielder in the desired age profile to help going forwards.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I feel like we need 3 new gun players.

A gun defender to replace Reg.
A gun fwd to replace Buddy
A gun midfielder to replace JPK.

We have serious issues.

Impossible as those players come around once every 30yrs, what do you think of trying to get Patton to come across the club? if we have a down season we should have enough currency to satisfy GWS.

JPK is just a big bodied mid albeit a very good one easier to find than another Buddy.

Impossible as those players come around once every 30yrs, what do you think of trying to get Patton to come across the club? if we have a down season we should have enough currency to satisfy GWS.

JPK is just a big bodied mid albeit a very good one easier to find than another Buddy.

No thanks on Patton unless it's a throwaway 4th rounder or something...he's done 3 knees already!

No thanks on Patton unless it's a throwaway 4th rounder or something...he's done 3 knees already!
57 games in the past 3 seasons

Sinclair has 58, Reid 23, Naismith 27

He's also way better than any of them. (As usual) you are clueless if you expect he is worth a 4th round pick

57 games in the past 3 seasons

Sinclair has 58, Reid 23, Naismith 27

He's also way better than any of them. (As usual) you are clueless if you expect he is worth a 4th round pick

Then NO THANKS. Don't want any trades involving our first or second this year, they will be top 20 picks. Take them to the draft.

I just don't rate Patton that much either, forget he was a former number 1 pick, so was Jack Watts once. You are taking one almighty Hail Mary on a player who has really done very little. A 3rd to 4th rounder sure, but I'd be annoyed if we traded our first or second rounders out for anyone this year. In fact I want to use our future first to get another first rounder this year.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Then NO THANKS. Don't want any trades involving our first or second this year, they will be top 20 picks. Take them to the draft.

I just don't rate Patton that much either, forget he was a former number 1 pick, so was Jack Watts once. You are taking one almighty Hail Mary on a player who has really done very little. A 3rd to 4th rounder sure, but I'd be annoyed if we traded our first or second rounders out for anyone this year. In fact I want to use our future first to get another first rounder this year.
Please go back to Essendon

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I feel like we need 3 new gun players.

A gun defender to replace Reg.
A gun fwd to replace Buddy
A gun midfielder to replace JPK.

We have serious issues.
I feel like we have a fun forward in either McCartin and/or Blakey, a gun defender in Aliir and/or Melican but midfield I'm not convinced yet Heeney will elevate yet but can. We're just full of youth right now and they need another season or two before we see some real benefits

Caj

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2004
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
It was fascinating watching us Mark the ball then turn 90 degrees away from goal and look to kick short to the fences.

If you want to look at our game plan from a very simplistic level, this sums it up in one sentence.

Our players don't even look to move the ball forward from the backline, by the time they eventually do the opposition has flooded our forward line. Compare it to the teams that have played off in the last couple of Grand Finals and the contrast is startling. That is why we can't score.

Longmire either doesn't think there is a problem with this, or he hasn't been capable of implementing a change to our ball movement. Either way, it rings some pretty major alarm bells

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
If you want to look at our game plan from a very simplistic level, this sums it up in one sentence.

Our players don't even look to move the ball forward from the backline, by the time they eventually do the opposition has flooded our forward line. Compare it to the teams that have played off in the last couple of Grand Finals and the contrast is startling. That is why we can't score.

Longmire either doesn't think there is a problem with this, or he hasn't been capable of implementing a change to our ball movement. Either way, it rings some pretty major alarm bells
I think Menzel (when he gets in) can straighten us...well, in my head I can! Longmire’s plan ruins the one in my head though!

Actually we just need 2-3 gun midfielders, that's where the game is won and lost

very true

always we have the biggest gun forward the game has ever seen just about and we struggle to get to 70, so we need a new gameplan more than anything

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
very true

always we have the biggest gun forward the game has ever seen just about and we struggle to get to 70, so we need a new gameplan more than anything

Agreed. You either need to fortify the midfield with some guns (or at least Mills and Heeney full-time for the time being) or you change the game plan. It isn't working as currently constituted and it has been on a downward trajectory for the past 2 years while the club has been constantly telling us we're still trying to contend.

Agreed. You either need to fortify the midfield with some guns (or at least Mills and Heeney full-time for the time being) or you change the game plan. It isn't working as currently constituted and it has been on a downward trajectory for the past 2 years while the club has been constantly telling us we're still trying to contend.

It depends how much you believe media, but seems last year we spent most of our time chasing Darcy Moore top solidify the defence

I think the club have underestimated the durability of some like JPK, Jack and co, and expected more from younger mids perhaps?

They have Franklin, Reid, added Mccartin, Blakey- Ronke , Papley and Heeney at times so on paper we look capable of big scores

We have continued to reup people we have and try to add some kids around it, its this halfish maybe rebuild, go for it now around some big contracts, no real clear direction

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
It depends how much you believe media, but seems last year we spent most of our time chasing Darcy Moore top solidify the defence

I think the club have underestimated the durability of some like JPK, Jack and co, and expected more from younger mids perhaps?

They have Franklin, Reid, added Mccartin, Blakey- Ronke , Papley and Heeney at times so on paper we look capable of big scores

We have continued to reup people we have and try to add some kids around it, its this halfish maybe rebuild, go for it now around some big contracts, no real clear direction

And then we chased Tom Langdon when Moore chose to stay. Then when Langdon chose to stay we ended up with Jackson Thurlow who hasn't made it into the side yet.

All seemingly to get Mills into the midfield, which also hasn't happened properly yet.

Crust

All Australian
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SUANFC
So, Horse is under contract until the end of 2020, but the mail here is that he is leaving at the end of the year.
Assuming that to be correct, I also assume that a deal has been done with Horse to pay him out or whatever. The Swans also plan ahead, so it would not surprise me if the new coach has already been agreed upon, even if there is no formal contract in place.
If the new coach is internal, I expect it will be Blakey. Was that the price to get his son to choose us? He's been with us since 2006 and has served a long apprenticeship, as did Longmire. He is due for a senior position, if that is his ambition. But will it be more of the same?

Will it be Kirk?
Don't get me wrong, Kirky is a legend of our club in my mind, but I query his coaching credentials. His playing career was under Roos and his assistant Ross Lyon.
He then assisted at Freo, under Lyon, and then returned to the Swans, under Longmire.
He has never been outside that "system" for want of a better expression.

Externally, I really don't know, but I'd hope it is someone who has played or coached under Clarkson or one of his lieutenants.

Clarkson? It would not surprise me if the Swans were to be so bold, even though Clarkson has signed until 2022. We have some very good youth, which may attract him. I'll bet he is itching to get a fifth (or more) premiership.

I'd have Rhys Shaw in a heartbeat, but he only just moved to Melbourne, and his apprenticeship has so far been relatively short.

Caracella did very well at Adelaide after Walsh, but there is a good deal of angst about him on the Crows forums.

I'd also consider Ratten. I thought he did well at the Blues until Carlton stuffed him to get Malthouse.

And if we get anyone external, what effect does that have on the current assistants, especially Blakey?
Will he move on, to Head of Football or something like that? If so, what happens to Gardiner?

Brad Scott's contract with North expires in 2020. My guess is that Longmire will sit out a season and then replace Brad.

I for one bloody hope it’s not Blakey or Kirk

Aye ... Blakey is a classic 2IC.... Kirky? I would not have Kirky as Coach of the 1sts in Tibet.

Caj

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2004
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
A bit early to make a call on a replacement given we still have a full season to go, but Caracella seems to be the most highly rated of the assistant coaches out there

I'd be astounded if we were that far down the path with replacing Longmire, otherwise what would be the point of him coaching this year

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
So, Horse is under contract until the end of 2020, but the mail here is that he is leaving at the end of the year.
Assuming that to be correct, I also assume that a deal has been done with Horse to pay him out or whatever. The Swans also plan ahead, so it would not surprise me if the new coach has already been agreed upon, even if there is no formal contract in place.
If the new coach is internal, I expect it will be Blakey. Was that the price to get his son to choose us? He's been with us since 2006 and has served a long apprenticeship, as did Longmire. He is due for a senior position, if that is his ambition. But will it be more of the same?

Will it be Kirk?
Don't get me wrong, Kirky is a legend of our club in my mind, but I query his coaching credentials. His playing career was under Roos and his assistant Ross Lyon.
He then assisted at Freo, under Lyon, and then returned to the Swans, under Longmire.
He has never been outside that "system" for want of a better expression.

Externally, I really don't know, but I'd hope it is someone who has played or coached under Clarkson or one of his lieutenants.

Clarkson? It would not surprise me if the Swans were to be so bold, even though Clarkson has signed until 2022. We have some very good youth, which may attract him. I'll bet he is itching to get a fifth (or more) premiership.

I'd have Rhys Shaw in a heartbeat, but he only just moved to Melbourne, and his apprenticeship has so far been relatively short.

Caracella did very well at Adelaide after Walsh, but there is a good deal of angst about him on the Crows forums.

I'd also consider Ratten. I thought he did well at the Blues until Carlton stuffed him to get Malthouse.

And if we get anyone external, what effect does that have on the current assistants, especially Blakey?
Will he move on, to Head of Football or something like that? If so, what happens to Gardiner?

Brad Scott's contract with North expires in 2020. My guess is that Longmire will sit out a season and then replace Brad.

You mean Camporeale?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back