Coach John Longmire - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
blakey signed his contract extension, his dad can f off

Obviously you know my current thoughts on Longmire and I agree that Kirk is not the answer. I want to know the angst against Blakey though. Is it because he’s been here for so long? Is it because of his friendship with Longmire? I’ve actually not formed an opinion but I’d like to know others thoughts.

Sorry Kingy, even though I’ve quoted you, it’s not directly aimed at you.

Obviously you know my current thoughts on Longmire and I agree that Kirk is not the answer. I want to know the angst against Blakey though. Is it because he’s been here for so long? Is it because of his friendship with Longmire? I’ve actually not formed an opinion but I’d like to know others thoughts.

Sorry Kingy, even though I’ve quoted you, it’s not directly aimed at you.

i presume because he always sits next to Longmire.

Take the game on. Attack more. Blah blah blah.

It might only be a temporary blip but has anyone noticed the scores over the last couple of rounds ? All these attacking sides in the comp

winning scores for week 4:

On top of that some of the football this weekend was amongst the worst football I have ever watched. There may have been pressure in some of the games but the freo west coast game was unwatchable. The first half of collingwood's game was excruciating. Skills like kicking to a target are non-existent across the league - not just the swans matches.

There have been 15 scores of 100 or more out of the last 72. Thats roughly 20%.

We do take the game on - plenty of times - I'd be happier though if the criticism was more like - take the game on but kick to the jersey not the player and structure the team so that when we do attack through the corridor we have something to kick to. Because we do attack and we do kick it long with the aim of getting the ball forward fast giving our forwards the best chance. But we don't kick it to advantage much and we do just hit it in the general direction of buddy and hope he does something amazing. And we do that over and over again so there must either be a game plan of hit and hope or we're just not very good at kicking the ball to targets other than the big guy.

i think too many have been spoiled by success. The team and the club are going to now have some lean years. I'm not actually fussed who coaches this team bec use i don't think its going to make a lot of difference. This side is going to have to grow with the view of hopefully being together in 2-3 years when the team are in the 25-28 year old sweet spot of success. But i fear that the buddy contract - and not the tippett one - as well as the amount we've had to pay the young players such as heeney, mills, jones if we can keep him will mean that our depth based on the swansfan51 model of success will always be a little light. So the only way we can succeed is if we don't cop injuries.

I don't particularly care whether Longmire stays or goes. I know that many on this thread have a passionate view that his time is up. No one is immortal and everyone leaves footy clubs disappointed. But I'd be much happier if there was greater reality in the thread - like this side is about where we should expect it to be and the team attacks as much as it can but the 2019 swans aren't actually that good especially by comparison with the really good swans sides over the past decade. But even more reality would recognise that the league itself must be incredibly defensively oriented if so many teams are winning with scores of less than 13 goals. Which says to me that maybe it isn't the game plan (unless every game plan in the league seems to be score as few points as you can manage while still aiming to win) but maybe the whole comp is a lot harder than it looks when sitting behind a screen in your room. Certainly thats my take away from the last 4 weeks and this rounds footy where i frequently bemoaned the failings of players from at least 12 teams- as longmire says its a really competitive league and its hard to win and the pressure is as high as its ever been. And as a diehard swans fan I can take away the knowledge that we've been in every game but we just can't manage to convert the chances when we are on top.

I hope we can turn it around. And whether they do or don't I hope we treat longmire with respect because he might be paid good coin but I simply don't want to be part of a winning is the only thing club. Its bloody important but how you treat people along the way is what is the true measure of a club.

Our personal standards haven't yet caught up with the plummeting standard of the AFL.

i presume because he always sits next to Longmire.

I've only seen the Demons game this year, so I don't know who was sitting next to him in the first three rounds but wasn't Laidler sitting next to Longmire on Thursday Night? Clearly Longmire wants one of the development coaches next to him rather than one of the line coaches.

If the season is gone, would be good to see Longmire mix it up and at least try something new. More run and a bit of flair off HB and through the middle, maybe three pers in and around the f50.

Will it happen. Nope.
We are one game off 5th.
Season no where near gone.
As magnificent as the Dees were tge other night to "get their season on track" they still sit 11% below us.

We are one game off 5th.
Season no where near gone.
As magnificent as the Dees were tge other night to "get their season on track" they still sit 11% below us.

So Ted, do we have more upside than Melbourne?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No its jyst a fact tgat tge season hasn't even started & 6 of tge 9 games had scores less than 80 from all clubs. Hawks playing a terrible style two weeks in a row after seeing both games.
Sack Clarko!

Golly Ted, you are typing how my brain is thinking this am...and I have had two espressos.

Our issues is not the coach, we really don’t have good players. My god the skillset on display is embarrassing.

Kicking wide, too high, too wide, handballing to players in n congestion etc etc.

I’m embarrassed for a player like buddy playing in a team full of avg players.

We also have a lot of dumb footballers.
I watched the game too. When our players started ******* up it was because Dees were way ahead of us. Thry were hunting us. Our game plan does not allow for this. We don't protect the player with the ball. We don't hunt in packs, we run wide often being caught offside. By the I mean we turn the ball over and players then have to surge back. Over the period of a game if this is constantly happening this is energy sapping. In the end players ebd up just stopping. This allows the opposition to surge and overlap.

Then instead of fixing the numbers at the ball problem and player protection problem. Horse puts players behind the ball. Terry Wallace and many other ex coaches and players have questioned out ancient game plan and they'd be right. Every time we are challenged the response is exactly the same. We go super defensive by putting numbers behind the ball. That leaves the opposition with more numbers at the coalface. They surge, getting overlsp and because we play a very old zone style defence thry open us up and get players on the lead right up the corridor. Game over.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

I watched the game too. When our players started ******* up it was because Dees were way ahead of us. Thry were hunting us. Our game plan does not allow for this. We don't protect the player with the ball. We don't hunt in packs, we run wide often being caught offside. By the I mean we turn the ball over and players then have to surge back. Over the period of a game if this is constantly happening this is energy sapping. In the end players ebd up just stopping. This allows the opposition to surge and overlap.

Then instead of fixing the numbers at the ball problem and player protection problem. Horse puts players behind the ball. Terry Wallace and many other ex coaches and players have questioned out ancient game plan and they'd be right. Every time we are challenged the response is exactly the same. We go super defensive by putting numbers behind the ball. That leaves the opposition with more numbers at the coalface. They surge, getting overlsp and because we play a very old zone style defence thry open us up and get players on the lead right up the corridor. Game over.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Spot on.

Take the game on. Attack more. Blah blah blah.

It might only be a temporary blip but has anyone noticed the scores over the last couple of rounds ? All these attacking sides in the comp

winning scores for week 4:

On top of that some of the football this weekend was amongst the worst football I have ever watched. There may have been pressure in some of the games but the freo west coast game was unwatchable. The first half of collingwood's game was excruciating. Skills like kicking to a target are non-existent across the league - not just the swans matches.

There have been 15 scores of 100 or more out of the last 72. Thats roughly 20%.

We do take the game on - plenty of times - I'd be happier though if the criticism was more like - take the game on but kick to the jersey not the player and structure the team so that when we do attack through the corridor we have something to kick to. Because we do attack and we do kick it long with the aim of getting the ball forward fast giving our forwards the best chance. But we don't kick it to advantage much and we do just hit it in the general direction of buddy and hope he does something amazing. And we do that over and over again so there must either be a game plan of hit and hope or we're just not very good at kicking the ball to targets other than the big guy.

i think too many have been spoiled by success. The team and the club are going to now have some lean years. I'm not actually fussed who coaches this team bec use i don't think its going to make a lot of difference. This side is going to have to grow with the view of hopefully being together in 2-3 years when the team are in the 25-28 year old sweet spot of success. But i fear that the buddy contract - and not the tippett one - as well as the amount we've had to pay the young players such as heeney, mills, jones if we can keep him will mean that our depth based on the swansfan51 model of success will always be a little light. So the only way we can succeed is if we don't cop injuries.

I don't particularly care whether Longmire stays or goes. I know that many on this thread have a passionate view that his time is up. No one is immortal and everyone leaves footy clubs disappointed. But I'd be much happier if there was greater reality in the thread - like this side is about where we should expect it to be and the team attacks as much as it can but the 2019 swans aren't actually that good especially by comparison with the really good swans sides over the past decade. But even more reality would recognise that the league itself must be incredibly defensively oriented if so many teams are winning with scores of less than 13 goals. Which says to me that maybe it isn't the game plan (unless every game plan in the league seems to be score as few points as you can manage while still aiming to win) but maybe the whole comp is a lot harder than it looks when sitting behind a screen in your room. Certainly thats my take away from the last 4 weeks and this rounds footy where i frequently bemoaned the failings of players from at least 12 teams- as longmire says its a really competitive league and its hard to win and the pressure is as high as its ever been. And as a diehard swans fan I can take away the knowledge that we've been in every game but we just can't manage to convert the chances when we are on top.

I hope we can turn it around. And whether they do or don't I hope we treat longmire with respect because he might be paid good coin but I simply don't want to be part of a winning is the only thing club. Its bloody important but how you treat people along the way is what is the true measure of a club.

What a top post!

Footy in 2019 is about pressuring the man with the ball, regardless. Frantic pressure applied to force the ball carrier into fluffing it up. Thats why the scores are still so ultra-defensive.

There's nothing scientific about AFL footy.

I honestly think the most vocal negative fans who think they know A LOT about footy are the ones who:

a) spend most of the time watching fox footy channel. They listen to the crap that the likes of King Dunstall et al parrot. These guys are just fans being paid to analyse footy. Most of the time they wouldn't have a clue about much as they simply focus on perceived footy tends or simply only watch a handful of games. They love buzz words and THEY LOVVVE trying to figure a new gmaeplan thus to come up with a new name for a new trend. The cluster, the zones, the slingshot etc etc.

b) these same people don't go to games and thus don't see what modern footy is all about. They watch on TV all the time, they have a very narrow view of the play they also rely on imbeciles like Carey and Ling to tell them what's going on.

c) Supercoach o fantasy league players. Oh boy oh boy. Nongs.

It's infuriating

What a top post!

Footy in 2019 is about pressuring the man with the ball, regardless. Frantic pressure applied to force the ball carrier into fluffing it up. Thats why the scores are still so ultra-defensive.

There's nothing scientific about AFL footy.

I honestly think the most vocal negative fans who think they know A LOT about footy are the ones who:

a) spend most of the time watching fox footy channel. They listen to the crap that the likes of King Dunstall et al parrot. These guys are just fans being paid to analyse footy. Most of the time they wouldn't have a clue about much as they simply focus on perceived footy tends or simply only watch a handful of games. They love buzz words and THEY LOVVVE trying to figure a new gmaeplan thus to come up with a new name for a new trend. The cluster, the zones, the slingshot etc etc.

b) these same people don't go to games and thus don't see what modern footy is all about. They watch on TV all the time, they have a very narrow view of the play they also rely on imbeciles like Carey and Ling to tell them what's going on.

c) Supercoach o fantasy league players. Oh boy oh boy. Nongs.

It's infuriating

I don't necessarily enjoy their commentary (particularly Ling), but to suggest that these guys who are some of the most highly credentialed and decorated ex players going around don't know what they are talking about is ridiculous

Do you know what Ted , don't read it there are threads I ignore , you can do the same . Just go along and enjoy what the club is producing.

No Bedders that's not it.
Each & every club has underachieved in at least one game this season & all coaches have made poor decisions during games, including the master at Hawthorn. Chris Scott made some blues on Saturday against GWS. Brisbane down by 49 points against Worsfold's putridly coached Bombers.

I should be able to come on & have a very contrasting view. That's why I don't post on the main forum much because I ignore most of the discussion.
No problem with people wanting Horse to go but when I hear some of the names tossed around as his preferred replacement I really scratch my head.
Not shooting the messenger which is you Bedders but Brett Ratten? Really? I fear what would happen after two years of 'developing our squad' & finishing bottom 6 for 3 years in a row.
I mean, do people actually REALLY believe that by moving Horse on, it will guarantee more success than we've had under him or is it just that we want to start a new thread titled............

NEW HEAD COACH: BRETT RATTEN - Seen No Improvement!
POLL:
a) Sign for two more years
b) Wait until season ends before signing him.
c) Sack him now.
d) Sack Tom Harley for signing him in the first place.
e) Bring back Horse.
f) 3 of the above.

Now I am not angry here Bedders so don't misinterpret my posts, I am actually having a laugh at how we supporters don't actually know what we really want & neither do the other 17 teams' supporters.

Oh by the way guys.
I don't want to ignore ANY thread or ANY poster on here because I want the full picture of our supporter's thoughts. If people don't post on here than we've all got a one sided opinion that we read giving a false sense of what the general supporter base wants.

Brett Ratten?
WTF Bedders.o_O

Oh well. I am clearly a guilty party. I am critical of how we play. I watch on the telly and I watch Fox 360 (mainly to see what that drunken bum Slobbo will do next).

I also go to games in Melbourne, so watch the full extent of the game. I expect others critical of how we have played under Horse do the same.

I see no need to attack folk who seek improvement in the Club's performance and think part of the source of that improvement is a change of coach.

Sorry B52.
My fingers are too fat for my phone.
I've fixed it because it looked s**t. Sorry everyone.

No problem.... mine are often worse and I am too lazy to correct them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back