Coach John Longmire - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to do a quick check of our finals losses from 2013 onwards

2013 Preliminary Final vs Fremantle (74 to 99)
2014 Grand Final vs Hawthorn (74 to 137)
2015 Semi Final vs North Melbourne (51 to 77)
2016 Grand Final vs Western Bulldogs (67 to 89)
2017 Semi Final vs Geelong (39 to 98)
2018 Elimination Final vs GWS (30 to 79)

A lot of very comfortable victories for opposition teams there, where the Swans were never really in the game.

You forget he had some all time greats
Two power forwards
And a larger salary cap

A lot of very comfortable victories for opposition teams there, where the Swans were never really in the game.

2017 was a damn miracle we were there in the first place. 2013 and 14 we ran into two teams at their very peak so no shame in those imo. Don't remember the 2015 game too clearly, 2016 we should have won but we were in it until the 4th. Its easy to list stats but an even surface level analysis bears some flaws in this thinking..

I remember a lot of those games. We were certainly never in the game in 2013, 2014, 2017, 2018 and I think 2015 but my memory of the 2015 game is not great.

Even in 2016, who would hand on heart say they think the Bulldogs team was better talent wise than the team we had, and yet the Bulldogs have the flag and we don't. Clarkson also dismantled Longmire in 2014 despite the Swans having a very good list at the time.
You missed when we beat the Bombers by 65 scoring over a 100 in 2017 finals. Does that not count?

Bulldogs were a very good team that year.

I remember a lot of those games. We were certainly never in the game in 2013, 2014, 2017, 2018 and I think 2015 but my memory of the 2015 game is not great.

Even in 2016, who would hand on heart say they think the Bulldogs team was better talent wise than the team we had, and yet the Bulldogs have the flag and we don't. Clarkson also dismantled Longmire in 2014 despite the Swans having a very good list at the time.

2015 was straight sets

2017 was a damn miracle we were there in the first place. 2013 and 14 we ran into two teams at their very peak so no shame in those imo. Don't remember the 2015 game too clearly, 2016 we should have won but we were in it until the 4th. Its easy to list stats but an even surface level analysis bears some flaws in this thinking..

2017 we started 0-6 under horse didn’t we or did he take those games off?

You missed when we beat the Bombers by 65 scoring over a 100 in 2017 finals. Does that not count?

Bulldogs were a very good team that year.

I am talking about a finals campaign as sure Longmire can win one game in finals, but at the end of the day we keep being bundled out of finals in very unceremonious ways where we were not even in the contest because the opposition coach had picked apart Longmire's gameplan perfectly.

Also the Bulldogs were not a very good team, hence why they finished 7th in 2016, and hence why they were not that good in 2015 or 2017.

BUT it's not an early extension, it's exactly the same time that he re-signed his last contract.

You have absolutely no idea what our offer to extend was, so therefore no idea if North inflated it or not.
Your hatred for Longmire taints every post you write now.

That is just wrong. I certainly don't hate the bloke. Please do not impute positions I do not hold.

Of course I only have the media reports to go on. I would be stunned given the alleged Norf interest if he and Pickering did not negotiate a hefty payrise.

I don't claim inside knowledge.

Personally I think the Club should have held fire until season's end.

Another bit of perspective: all of the same complaints we have had about Horse were thrown at Hardwick and Simpson, and for much longer. And one pre-season was all it took for them to become premiership coaches.

I think the criticism of Horse is valid but let’s not pretend like him re-signing means we’re automatically doomed to mediocrity under his regime.

Another bit of perspective: all of the same complaints we have had about Horse were thrown at Hardwick and Simpson, and for much longer. And one pre-season was all it took for them to become premiership coaches.

I think the criticism of Horse is valid but let’s not pretend like him re-signing means we’re automatically doomed to mediocrity under his regime.

Difference is at least for Hardwick Richmond forced him to change, basically saying "change or we will sack you". I can't see the Swans doing the same with Longmire, especially after re-signing him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well it's done, surely time to move on as Bedford has said. Thread closed or renamed and start a new.

Difference is at least for Hardwick Richmond forced him to change, basically saying "change or we will sack you". I can't see the Swans doing the same with Longmire, especially after re-signing him.

He has changed this year. Maybe the club didn’t have to force him to change, the playing group and our current list profile took care of that.

But he does still regress occasionally, I’ll give you that

Imagine being upset at the club re-signing the coach with the second best win record in the league, with a good record of player development because you have some weird hang up about game style you can't even explain.
Spot on! They talk and talk but have absolutely no clue what they're going on about. Like they have a level of intellectual understanding of the game higher than that of those who have played the game and have a PROVEN record of success.
Perhaps because majority of Swans fans know we won't win another flag under Longmire. If we can't win the flag with him, why re-sign him. The Swans board are happy to be "thereabouts" but seemingly don't care too much about actually winning the flag.
Again, making assumptions with s**t all to back it up with and rambling incoherent nonsense. We know we won't win another flag under him do we? We all know the secrets to success and know that horse doesn't have it do we? 2nd best record in the game period. Get over it. The beast available option across the whole league, as well as a well deserved renewal for putting out an excellent professional outfit season after season. And clearly has the trust and respect of the playing group, coaches, staff and board around him. Only a simpleton would disregard the many things it takes to be a succesfull coach, and why there are only a handful in the league currently. Loving the melts. Keep them coming.

John 'horisius' Longmire. The prince. The one who will have the last laugh, and is gifted.

Quotes please? Don't remember such a thing. Just a coach proving the whole league and dumb supporter base wrong.

This. We have not had a Review of the Footy Dept for ages. Absolutely no point having one now. The Horse is bolted in. I hate the thought but suspect there is a smidgen of complacency.

While that is true and just a quick look at Paul Roos coaching record in finals brings up a fair few similar finals losses. 03 Prelim against the Lions (56 to 100) and 04 Semi against the Saints (56 to 107) show that even with a good win to start the finals that once the bottom falls off it really falls off, but doesn't mean it can't be a position one can't recover from as 2005 showed.

07 Elimination against Collingwood (87 to 125) and 08 Semi against the Bulldogs (69 to 106) are big losses Roos had in finals after he won the lot in 2005. So it can happen to even the best as well and is not just a new problem for the club because of Longmire.

Quotes please? Don't remember such a thing. Just a coach proving the whole league and dumb supporter base wrong.

From memory Gale and co put the salts through their Footy Dept and installed a new lot of Assistant Coaches.

While that is true and just a quick look at Paul Roos coaching record in finals brings up a fair few similar finals losses. 03 Prelim against the Lions (56 to 100) and 04 Semi against the Saints (56 to 107) show that even with a good win to start the finals that once the bottom falls off it really falls off, but doesn't mean it can't be a position one can't recover from as 2005 showed.

07 Elimination against Collingwood (87 to 125) and 08 Semi against the Bulldogs (69 to 106) are big losses Roos had in finals after he won the lot in 2005. So it can happen to even the best as well and is not just a new problem for the club because of Longmire.
The average margin in the finals series is generally 4-5 goals in the last decade orbso. You may get a close game but there are plenty of blowouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back