Coach John Longmire - Part IV

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Wasn't Horses fault we kicked like s**t in the second, totally his fault to not man up after getting spanked in the third. * we need a ruckman, pushing s**t up hill with a stick gets really old week in week out. Imagine having a premiership ruckman playing the ressies like Port.

I wish a journo would ask (and not be fobbed off) Longmire his rationale for playing newcomers and inexperienced players out of position when selected in the seniors.

Developing and/or fringe players in the 2s are asked to show consistent form in undertaking specific roles. When they show this form they get promoted but invariably they do not get to play in the position they excelled in while in the Twos.

Bell is simply the most recent example. Rose had dominated in the mids and at half back in the 2s, regains his spot but plays deep forward and turns in a shocker. Last year Allir had a spectacularly awful game as a forward. Fox is asked to play everywhere. Cunningham is another.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
In so doing Horse asks more of the fringe players than some of our stars and leaders, who invariably play their preferred position.
Its experimental time - with results to be seen next year, which has been both forced through injuries and partly planned as we're not in the finals.
A part of the trade period will be to target players allowing current players to play in their preferred positions.
eg . McVeigh, Smith Grundy haven't been seen this year.. Trade (not draft) 1 or 2 defenders to allow Mills and Dawson to play further up the ground. We knew Mills could play half back.. we've discovered Dawson can be a good defender.. we've discovered McCartin can be a good defender. All three guys are in our best 22 for years to come, its good to know that when injury strikes, positions can be covered
Lets hope for a successful trade period, so round one next year.. Mills plays in the mids, Dawson left half forward, McCartin out bodies the oppos full forward holding him to zero goals

Imagine giving an untried coach a three year contract and they turn around and deliver the club's lowest score in history...
The point of this post is what? That we are better than North? Woohoo what an achievement.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Something that annoys me is how conservative Longmire is. A perfect example is Hewett. Hewett played a few games earlier in the year as a midfielder, and he proved he can be very good at it, being big bodied and winning plenty of ball, but Longmire persists with making him the tagger. Making Hewett the tagger is just the definition of playing not to lose, rather than playing to win.

If it were me Hewett, Heeney, Mills and Rowbottom would be our 4 main midfielders, moving Parker up forward to take Heeney's role (as Parker is an excellent one on one marker) and having Kennedy sometimes tag if we need someone to do some tagging. To me that would be a more proactive setup.

Tesla Tenet

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I wish a journo would ask (and not be fobbed off) Longmire his rationale for playing newcomers and inexperienced players out of position when selected in the seniors.

Developing and/or fringe players in the 2s are asked to show consistent form in undertaking specific roles. When they show this form they get promoted but invariably they do not get to play in the position they excelled in while in the Twos.

Bell is simply the most recent example. Rose had dominated in the mids and at half back in the 2s, regains his spot but plays deep forward and turns in a shocker. Last year Allir had a spectacularly awful game as a forward. Fox is asked to play everywhere. Cunningham is another.
Dawson forward...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The grand old coaching Horse
He had one Jordan Dawson
He marched him to the Forwards and marched him back again
He threw him in the rucks, he plugged him on a wing
"Are you not a Lockett? Better try back pocket"

Meh, its early Sunday. Like all of us I still have the bitter ash of defeat in my mouth.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Horse probably is partly responsible for the list, but I'm not sure if there is anyone better at the moment. The two main contenders who could have replaced him, Dew and Shaw, are both at other clubs, and if we wanted to get someone better, we'd have to make them a serious offer to get them to move north.

I'm more interested in the reports from earlier in the season that he was told to "lighten up" - what did that mean exactly, and what has changed since then that caused the club to extend his contract? Presumably they must be happy with what they have seen from him?

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
A list decision was made around 2015/16 to regenerate via the draft. This was in part forced due to other list management decisions but also reflective of the fact it can be difficult, and expensive, to get other players to relocate here (as demonstrated by prior list management decisions).

That decision was always going to at least cause some short term pain.

Players in or from Victoria in particular have numerous local options to choose from prior to venturing to options interstate (where the bulk of the AFL player supply comes from). WA and SA there are two teams that can bid for the services of a current or former locally based player. We almost need to always overpay to obtain players in these instances which puts pressure on the rest of our cap.

Our best bet is to target players at current strong performing clubs, who would prosper as a key component of a team but cannot break in. Players like Sier (for example) at the Pies who are lacking the opportunity due to more accomplished players in front of them.

A list decision was made around 2015/16 to regenerate via the draft. This was in part forced due to other list management decisions but also reflective of the fact it can be difficult, and expensive, to get other players to relocate here (as demonstrated by prior list management decisions).

That decision was always going to at least cause some short term pain.

Players in or from Victoria in particular have numerous local options to choose from prior to venturing to options interstate (where the bulk of the AFL player supply comes from). WA and SA there are two teams that can bid for the services of a current or former locally based player. We almost need to always overpay to obtain players in these instances which puts pressure on the rest of our cap.

Our best bet is to target players at current strong performing clubs, who would prosper as a key component of a team but cannot break in. Players like Sier (for example) at the Pies who are lacking the opportunity due to more accomplished players in front of them.
All we can really offer players is the ability to escape the bubble of the traditional AFL states and most players, I would imagine, either enjoy the limelight or aren't really fussed by it.
From what I can gather that was the main motivation behind Hall and Lockett and along with Jacinta, a big part of Buddy's move as well.

All we can really offer players is the ability to escape the bubble of the traditional AFL states and most players, I would imagine, either enjoy the limelight or aren't really fussed by it.
From what I can gather that was the main motivation behind Hall and Lockett and along with Jacinta, a big part of Buddy's move as well.

Yep and homesickness avoided by getting them settled with a partner

If I’m a good Victorian player who loves Melbourne why would I stay in Sydney - less footy stuff, less opportunity, bigger, more crowded, dearer, less free kicks etc

Horse probably is partly responsible for the list, but I'm not sure if there is anyone better at the moment. The two main contenders who could have replaced him, Dew and Shaw, are both at other clubs, and if we wanted to get someone better, we'd have to make them a serious offer to get them to move north.

I'm more interested in the reports from earlier in the season that he was told to "lighten up" - what did that mean exactly, and what has changed since then that caused the club to extend his contract? Presumably they must be happy with what they have seen from him?

A few weeks ago Horse did run 17 players through the the rucks and mids in the 4th quarter. According to the nice Essendon bloke who posts the mids participation stats, this is a record.

It is almost unthinkable that Horse would have done this in previous seasons, so credit to him for being less predictable. Who knows whether this simply reflected the change in playing personnel or a shift in attitude.

DST

Premiership Player
May 1, 2003
In enemy territory
AFL Club
Sydney

Jacinta is the only reason Franklin is playing in Sydney.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
How do you know that they “flat out refused”?

Because they kept playing him despite it being painfully obvious he was playing injured, and when he did miss games he only missed one or two before being back in the side. St Kilda had Hannebery out for almost 10 months before they played him the first time, not 2 weeks like Longmire tried.

Back