Coach John Longmire - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

If we had the application of the 2018 team with the game plan of our 2020 team, we would be a top four side.

a fit buddy might be a pipe dream, but damn he would make a big difference (yeah derr of course) but quicker ball movement you just need to get it to him

a fit buddy might be a pipe dream, but damn he would make a big difference (yeah derr of course) but quicker ball movement you just need to get it to him

2018 we were stagnant AF. I think that was the biggest waste of a year honestly

ill make them thumbnails, and its a bit simplistic but the encouraging signs here are comparing 2 2018 games against 2 this year

certainly more forward/centre and corridor based with where we go with the ball

now it might not be significant, maybe it doesnt work, we can go back and forth discussing that, however its changed, i want to see more of it
I think that change is clear to see. If you look at all of our best patches of games this year, the team was successfully putting this plan in to action. The problem has been maintaining it consistently across four quarters and our ability to regain momentum when the opposition gets on top.

I think that change is clear to see. If you look at all of our best patches of games this year, the team was successfully putting this plan in to action. The problem has been maintaining it consistently across four quarters and our ability to regain momentum when the opposition gets on top.

Last round of 2016, we smash Richmond by 120 points.

12 months later on the back of a revised game plan focused on defensive pressure and quick ball movement, the tigers lift the cup.

I will continue to preach patience.

Last round of 2016, we smash Richmond by 120 points.

12 months later on the back of a revised game plan focused on defensive pressure and quick ball movement, the tigers lift the cup.

I will continue to preach patience.

Have we drafted the next Martin somewhere? The list is a HUGE issue in my view

Have we drafted the next Martin somewhere? The list is a HUGE issue in my view

The point is we need to sort the wheat from the chaff so we know where the holes in our future team are. Then we can trade and recruit accordingly. I suspect this year will be a telling one in making those decisions.

The point is we need to sort the wheat from the chaff so we know where the holes in our future team are. Then we can trade and recruit accordingly. I suspect this year will be a telling one in making those decisions.

I feel it's a longer process than many think though. Midfield is a fiasco, you know it is when blokes like Clarke are getting a run.

I have said it before and I'll say it again. The midfield is being held back by the same two blokes carrying it.

Plus the coach not trying things, it's the same guys over and over again. Rowbottom should basically be our number 1 inside mid now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I second that, but doesn't mean the core talent isn't there. Just a matter of what we do with it.

Well the question is whether it is? I know I sould like a broken record but not prioritising foot skills at the draft for years and drafting "triers' is and will be a huge issue. They try sure...but in a game where kicking it well is crucial it's an issue...then we compound it by trading in guys with foot issues.

I could turn that around and say that that year we won 7 in a row too.

The deceptive one was 2018 when we were crap for most of the year but made finals on an easy first half fixture.
I thought you had a decent year in 2018 with Hawthorn in the last round preventing you from getting the double chance, much like how they did the same to us in 2019. The pieces are there, Horse is a decent coach, you just need some good luck with injuries, getting Daniher next year will work wonders too.

Saying an argument is bullshit and hyperbole isn't playing the man.

That may be your opinion but doesn't it remain to be seen
'A young team doesn't mean a team full of potential'
and
'Longmire stifling development by playing players out of position'

Now if RUNVS believes Mills should be playing midfield by now, how can you say that this is bullshit. Longmire believes Mills to be capable, but says he needs him in defense more.

Anyway, we aren't even that young of a team. The Dogs beat us with a younger, less experienced team just the other week. While we've had a few debuts in this 'rebuild' time half of that would be counting the likes of Thurlow, Gray and Menzel, and players like Newman and Cameron who have already moved on to other clubs.

Longmire believes Mills to be capable, but says he needs him in defense more.
That is an indictment on either:

1. The list saying that a valuable mid is better as a defender because our defense sucks
2. Longmire's view of how a gameplan/structure to be that our defense is the most important element in the side

And sometimes it is both

That may be your opinion but doesn't it remain to be seen
No. Saying an argument is bullshit and hyperbole isn't playing the man, that's not an opinion.

Anyway, we aren't even that young of a team. The Dogs beat us with a younger, less experienced team just the other week. While we've had a few debuts in this 'rebuild' time half of that would be counting the likes of Thurlow, Gray and Menzel, and players like Newman and Cameron who have already moved on to other clubs.

We have the second youngest and third least experienced list in the league

We have the second youngest and third least experienced list in the league

Gold Coast and Brisbane are similar to us in age profile, and match experience, and they are above us on the ladder.

The only club that is in a comparable position to us is in terms of ladder position, age profile, experience is Fremantle. and their percentage is still better than ours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back