Coach John Longmire - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought we were moving on from the sh,t that filled the last thread now that he signed.

He’s our coach for the next 4 years. Get over yourselves & stop bullying other posters because you don’t agree with them. Bruce is a great poster.
I started a new thread in the last 24 hours mate to be positive !

Great news that Longmire has signed on until 2023. Now let us all sit back, take a deep breath and watch the premierships roll in. I sense back to back to back 2021-2022-2023.

Club stability is important. As soon as their pres came out with his pleas for help a few weeks ago, the players have come out & dished out two of the worst performances by a team in years, back to back. The club has lost those players, let alone the coach. They won't exist in the same form in 5 years. Stewy Dew won't get another gig ever again either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So 2019 miss finals
2020-2023 top 8

thats a pass?
Good question as to what constitutes a pass. Given Longmire referred to a rebuild less than 3 months ago I’d doubt we would make the finals in 2020 unless we trade in experienced talent. High draft picks alone won’t drag you back up the ladder. Only have to look at Carlton’s list for that as they had 3 number 1 draft picks on their list let alone the other dozen first round draft picks.

If we keep playing a young team (even with the exception of Jack) it will play decent games (ie v West Coast) vs average games (ie v the Blues). Longmires test will be whether he can develop the younger players and how quickly.

The draw should open up for us next year as we are likely to be bottom 6. The experienced players may help us up the ladder in the short term. A fit Buddy makes a difference.

Any finals aspirations may not be until 2021.

Club stability is important. As soon as their pres came out with his pleas for help a few weeks ago, the players have come out & dished out two of the worst performances by a team in years, back to back. The club has lost those players, let alone the coach. They won't exist in the same form in 5 years. Stewy Dew won't get another gig ever again either.

why did Dew take that job? guess its a unique challenge

but he had a choice of jobs essentially

We went into season 2019 with good intention thinking we would have the following experienced players contributing more games than they have.
Grundy, Smith, Naismith, Buddy, McVeigh.
At the same time thinking we would get serious improvement from players such as Florent, Hayward, Ronke, Cameron, Maibaum, Melican, Ling.
It just hasn't happened with perhaps the most disappointing of all being Florent & Hayward.
I can't contribute to the discussion as to why they have gone backwards because I have no idea but resembles those Gold Coast players who maybe just too homesick off field to get the best out of themselves on field. It happens & it's the only reason I can give.
I expect some big shuffling of players at year's end in order to obtain what we need to get relevant quicker than we would if we just persisted with the hope that a handful of young players would naturally progress in their output.
They just won't all improve as we would like here away from home so perhaps we identify those ones & trade them for our own benefit going forward, knowing full well they will dominate once back in their own environment. Rohan, Newman just two examples.

Don't think Horse got the best out of Newman. As for Rohan I think the Club did their best, but the bloke is just chronically unreliable. I expect he will disappear in the Finals this year, puzzling Cat fans just as he did for us.

Don't think Horse got the best out of Newman. As for Rohan I think the Club did their best, but the bloke is just chronically unreliable. I expect he will disappear in the Finals this year, puzzling Cat fans just as he did for us.

Have a look at his last 2 months. It's already happened.

We went into season 2019 with good intention thinking we would have the following experienced players contributing more games than they have.
Grundy, Smith, Naismith, Buddy, McVeigh.
At the same time thinking we would get serious improvement from players such as Florent, Hayward, Ronke, Cameron, Maibaum, Melican, Ling.
It just hasn't happened with perhaps the most disappointing of all being Florent & Hayward.
I can't contribute to the discussion as to why they have gone backwards because I have no idea but resembles those Gold Coast players who maybe just too homesick off field to get the best out of themselves on field. It happens & it's the only reason I can give.
I expect some big shuffling of players at year's end in order to obtain what we need to get relevant quicker than we would if we just persisted with the hope that a handful of young players would naturally progress in their output.
They just won't all improve as we would like here away from home so perhaps we identify those ones & trade them for our own benefit going forward, knowing full well they will dominate once back in their own environment. Rohan, Newman just two examples.

My outlook is a bit more optimistic. Maibaum was looking good before his ACL. Hayburner has been ok but copped a nasty injury. He will come good. Ollie is no world beater but should develop into a more than useful player.

Melican is still young and has returned from serious injury. Had others been available he would have spent more time in the Ressies. Thought he was ok against the Dopers' but struggled yesterday. At best he has the makings of a solid B grade defender a bit like Sam Frost from the Dees.

I think Ronke will come good.

why did Dew take that job? guess its a unique challenge

but he had a choice of jobs essentially
Poor Dewy.
I had hope for that club but the AFL will pull the plug on them IMO.
9 years in & they can't keep losing players like Ablett, JOM, Prestia, Lynch, Caddy, Saad, Dixon, May etc, etc.
They are all still playing & would be tge nucleus of a club challenging for flags as we speak.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back