Coach John Longmire - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

All the bad decisions are Horses.

Anything good is a collective decision or Pyke stepped in.
All wins are due to Horse's strategy.

Losses are because the players didn't follow the coach's instructions or try hard enough.

My only thought was he should have put McCartin onto Hogan

All wins are due to Horse's strategy.

Losses are because the players didn't follow the coach's instructions or try hard enough.
No one was talking about Horse v players. It was about the good stuff being attributed to Pyke and bad to Longmire.

For what it's worth re yesterday sure you could argue that Horse could have made some match up changes etc but equally having all the play in the last quarter and kicking 2.7 was the players. My point is blaming just the players or Horse or just giving credit to one coach or whatever is bull.

Longmire is an amazing coach and people manager. To get a young team through to an elimination final - 10 weeks on the road without families or even knowing where they were going to play. Completely changed the personnel and then the game plan to match. Had an awesome season with a few shite games - inconsistency in a young team is always going to be there.
Created a team and the play to beat the Giants. Bounce of the ball and fluffed shots were the difference yesterday - despite GWS having a team of names. The coach can't go out there and steady the nerves. Papley had 5 shots on goal in the first half - four didn't even go the distance - how often does that happen!! People saying this is on Longmire are right - but for all of the wrong reasons - he is the heart, soul and brains of this team.

Well things must be going OK, nearly a six month bump on Horse's thread.

I think this is the most enthusiastic I've ever heard him pre-season, particularly in relation to the younger players coming through.

He, the players and the club really seem to be in a good place.
The combination of Longmire, Pyke and the other coaches seems like an excellent mix, allowing each to do what they are best at eg man-management, tactics, teaching.

I also note Dylan Stephens comments today about the hubs;
"How much time we spent together, the tough times of being away from hone (sic) and we're all in it together.
"We had a choice to make, whether to embrace it or have a sook about it and we chose to enjoy it.
"We got a great group of young blokes. We're a tight knit group and the last thing you want to do is leave that after only two years."
Good on the players, but it also needs support and leadership form Horse et al in knowing how to create the environment for that to happen.

Football back next week and the season proper starts for us in exactly a month.
My excitement level is up, the expectation level is up and really looking forward to see how we prosper this season and what changes we have made to our style, particularly given the focus on contested ball that has been talked about all pre-season.

Lead us to the promised land oh wise Horse. :)

I strongly believe Longmire is a much better coach now than he was even 3 years ago. He seems much more willing to adapt than he used to be.
I agree totally. I saw him as one dimensional for a long time. He seemed very set in his ways. But now he seems ready to embrace a totally new game style. An exciting style, especially for swans fans who have been used to stogy, defensive footy.

I agree totally. I saw him as one dimensional for a long time. He seemed very set in his ways. But now he seems ready to embrace a totally new game style. An exciting style, especially for swans fans who have been used to stogy, defensive footy.
He said in an interview last year some time, something along the lines of 'you coach to the teams strengths' and pointed out that the list has dramatically changed.
I reckon people were too harsh on him in the past. Even last year, many were giving all the credit to Pyke.
Guess thats the life of a coach?
Always been a supporter, and not just of Horse, but of all the coaches (except Steve J - hated him from the moment he took out JPK in a final, such a dog act, and he was a s**t coach)

I feel like he always wanted us to play an exciting style but we didn't have the personnel for it so he played to the strengths of the team, which was to focus more on contested footy and defensive pressure. We wouldn't have splashed out on Tippett & Buddy, played guys like Rohan & Jetta, or drafted the likes of Hiscox & Leonardis, if we wanted to play a dour brand of footy.

Different personnel now gives him more to work with. We have more attacking players who have worked out than in previous eras. Although it's now gone to the other extreme where we are probably needing to be better in the contest. The common thread in our losses last year was getting smacked in the contest, and as good as Melbourne were, their biggest strength was absolutely their ability to win 50/50 balls and turn them into attacking plays. Hopefully that is something we improve on this year.

He said in an interview last year some time, something along the lines of 'you coach to the teams strengths' and pointed out that the list has dramatically changed.
I reckon people were too harsh on him in the past. Even last year, many were giving all the credit to Pyke.
Guess thats the life of a coach?
Always been a supporter, and not just of Horse, but of all the coaches (except Steve J - hated him from the moment he took out JPK in a final, such a dog act, and he was a sh*t coach)
100% especially I could never understand why we took on SJ. Line looks so much better with Macca and reckon he works better with the other coaches too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Horse has good people skills. He shone on the bench last year. Expect he will stay there. McVeigh, Pyke and Cox now provide the tactical acumen.

Doesn't get enough love on this board. We were smashed in the first quarter, Horse made adjustments where it was needed and we destroyed them from there forward.
Always the way, when we we're winning it's the players and when we're losing it's the coach.

Going to be some very tough shoes to fill when Longmire calls it (whenever that is).

Doesn't get enough love on this board. We were smashed in the first quarter, Horse made adjustments where it was needed and we destroyed them from there forward.

fair call,

I think he has been good at fixing as much as a coach can on the fly

eg buddy today, took him off when we kept kicking too him

also had to activate injury subs a lot and rejig structures this year

If Clarko can get fired, why can't Longmire, life hardly seems fair sometimes.
Well 2 things:

1. We don't have a s**t campaigner president making dumbass decisions (Kennent wanted Clarkson gone from like 09-10 remember)
2. We don't have an uppity assistant threatening to walk to another club a year earlier than the planned succession plan*

*As far as I know anyway

Putting aside his coaching.
Longmire seems to get the most out of his players as they buy into what he has to stay. The club has turned over the list and put younger players in key roles. The safer bet would be to rely on the experienced players.

Also it’s rare that we put two poor performances in a row. Even when we were out of the 8 we would lose but you could see a shift in game style.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back