Coach John Longmire - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Longmire isn't even close to losing his job, and it doesn't look like he will step down soon either. He is doing perfectly fine... Only way his position would've been under question is if we had continued the trend of winning only 5 games like we did in 2020. But we've bounced back well and Longmire is a huge part of that.
yep, I reckon if Horse wants to continue into 2024, the club will say yes.. But I reckon he'll go farming - hes made good coin, his kids have finished school, the next in line is champing at the bit (Cox?), and Horse has been in footy for a looooooong time. Dont reckon he'll coach somewhere else

Someone described us an emotional Club. The disparity between our best and worst as the widest in the Comp was the topic.

I think it is affecting Horse. He looked warmed up death after the Donnies' loss.

His face was drained of colour.

People make excuses about our young players but often as not it has been our more experienced players who let the team down (Papley and Reid misses v Donnies, JPK in various matches, Rampe down back).. I suspect Horse dreads the yarns he needs to have with our Champions as he once did with ROK.

No doubt Horse and mates are being driven bonkers trying to find some consistency on a week to week basis. His mates in Pyke, McPointy, Cox and Mathews are smart cookies but the solution key seems beyond the reach of all.

I wonder if he is turning his mind to moving on. Should he do so, I hope the Club appoints him to Director of Footy. He would be ideal in the role.

like malthouse and buckley ?

Someone described us an emotional Club. The disparity between our best and worst as the widest in the Comp was the topic.

I think it is affecting Horse. He looked warmed up death after the Donnies' loss.

His face was drained of colour.

People make excuses about our young players but often as not it has been our more experienced players who let the team down (Papley and Reid misses v Donnies, JPK in various matches, Rampe down back).. I suspect Horse dreads the yarns he needs to have with our Champions as he once did with ROK.

No doubt Horse and mates are being driven bonkers trying to find some consistency on a week to week basis. His mates in Pyke, McPointy, Cox and Mathews are smart cookies but the solution key seems beyond the reach of all.

I wonder if he is turning his mind to moving on. Should he do so, I hope the Club appoints him to Director of Footy. He would be ideal in the role.
Reckon we will see changes if Harley happens to get the CEO job - and wouldn't that be the absolute best possible thing for the league as a whole.
I think it was you Unc that said if it happened, you could envisage everyone moving a notch up the tree and I really see that as happening.
We are not a club that makes wholesale changes when there is a departure, we seem to have succession plans in place right down the line from corporate to football even to the membership team.

yep, I reckon if Horse wants to continue into 2024, the club will say yes.. But I reckon he'll go farming - hes made good coin, his kids have finished school, the next in line is champing at the bit (Cox?), and Horse has been in footy for a looooooong time. Dont reckon he'll coach somewhere else
Reckon your close with one exception. I think towards the end of 2023 the next coach will be announced and Horse will be given 2024 to help him settle in. He'll do it, and very well too. None of the rubbish that's gone on at other clubs.
Charlie G is a steady hand and will help not hinder. Who knows if Harley will be here or not (my bet he is).
Smooth as a baby's bum.
The only question is who.
Could happen at the end of this year, but I'll be surprised.

Will North approach him again?
They'd be mad not to and he'd be mad to take it.
Their organisation is a bin fire.
The rescue of both Melbourne and Fremantle required a rebuild from the very top down. Good people (not necessarily nice people) into Chairman, CEO and Head of Football as well as Head Coach.
That's what NM needs. Maybe as part of a move to Tassie?
For Horse's sake I hope he steers well clear. Clarko MIGHT but I doubt it. GWS more his go I think. He'd be good I reckon.

Yes you would assume they would. If they are going to enquire about Simpson at the Eagles why not Longmire. Problem is North’s on field issues are mirrored off field.
Surely Simpson is closer to heading out than Horse is though? Swans are on the way up but Eagles haven't even started their rebuild

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if they have sounded out Paul Roos yet? Apart from doing it before and putting Melbourne on the track to a premiership, his name is perfect for it.

As his doing consulting work at the club I imagine they have.

Footy clubs need change at the coaching level.

John Longmire has done extraordinarily well. But now, he needs either to be Football Manager, or to retire to the farm, his choice. He's earned that choice. He's rebuilt our list, and well, he is a long time loyal servant of our club.

'Fire and brimstone', it's an old fashioned expression. We have a great crop of youngsters, it's time for a young tearaway of a coach, backed by the steadying hand of John Longmire in an executive role, to back up a young coach.

With respect to the outside man, no I'm not looking at you Alastair Cl.
The Suns got our man.

Kicking and Screaming. Don't let this be your legacy John Longmire.
Next Football Manager, and welcome.

Tough contract decisions are coming in November- December 2022. John, do you really want to be the one to make them?
Q: is it in the best interests of the cllub to re - sign:
  • Buddy
  • Josh
  • Dane

Don Pyke will go to the Giants, and why wouldn't he? The next long term coach should be the one to make the list contract decisions! Not the Old Guard on the way out! ..with respect

Remove this Banner Ad

Back