Coach John Longmire - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Horse is a good bloke and good coach.

I would say he has only one flaw. Some misjudgments on some individual player's ability. Over-rates some of his players. This makes him human but it does have an adverse impact on overall list management. Reid, Parker and Tippett the obvious examples.

He also probably under-rated Membrey, Newman, Nankervis and Mitchell.

Last edited:

You mean the three matches he took off between Round 5 and Round 9?

So you would rather he train, making the injury worse? He was being managed (not training between matches) and given time off (not playing between Rounds 5-9) what more to you want the club to do? Do you seriously think he was doing no work off the training track?

From an injury that had nothing to do with his heel.

Horse said he spent 20 minutes on the track - his lack of fitness likely contributed to soft tissue injury - He was clearly hampered by the foot/heel injury and the short break did not right this. His hobbling through the 4-6-30 debacle was painful to watch.

Horse said he spent 20 minutes on the track - his lack of fitness likely contributed to soft tissue injury - He was clearly hampered by the foot/heel injury and the short break did not right this. His hobbling through the 4-6-30 debacle was painful to watch.

So what if he spent 20 minutes on the track, there are other forms of training he can do (and most likely did) to keep his fitness base up away from the playing field. So to keep bringing up what Horse said is a bit misleading and doesn't prove he was so unfit that it solely caused his groin injury and not anything he did during the course of the Round 22 match against GWS that meant he missed the Round 23 match and just make it back for the final.

Your linking events to suit yourself, not on what actually happened. Prove that it was not match related and purely fitness related and I'll admit you have a point.

I would say he has only one flaw. Some misjudgments on some individual player's ability. Over-rates some of his players. This makes him human but it does have an adverse impact on overall list management. Reid, Parker and Tippett the obvious examples.

He also probably under-rated Membrey, Nankervis and Mitchell.
Parker? what more do you want from a guy taken pick 40 something in his draft?

So what if he spent 20 minutes on the track, there are other forms of training he can do (and most likely did) to keep his fitness base up away from the playing field. So to keep bringing up what Horse said is a bit misleading and doesn't prove he was so unfit that it solely caused his groin injury and not anything he did during the course of the Round 22 match against GWS that meant he missed the Round 23 match and just make it back for the final.

Your linking events to suit yourself, not on what actually happened. Prove that it was not match related and purely fitness related and I'll admit you have a point.

You discard evidence to protect your narrative.

You similarly take a death riding attitude to Hanners' possible (yet to be proven recovery). It is as if you and one or two others begrudge the idea that he might get back to full fitness and again play wonderful footy, as he did for at least one game on Sunday.

You similarly take a death riding attitude to Hanners' possible (yet to be proven recovery). It is as if you and one or two others begrudge the idea that he might get back to full fitness and again play wonderful footy, as he did for at least one game on Sunday.
Where does anyone begrudge Hannebery getting back to full fitness?

He also probably under-rated Membrey, Nankervis and Mitchell.

All three of those players have improved their training & off field work ethic considerably from all reports.
Perhaps it's lazy buggers that coaches tend to under rate & hard workers that they over rate. It has it's pros & cons but players tend to get it when they are about 22-25 YO which is about the time they are ready to leave our club & apply themselves.
Just my thoughts.

You mean evidence that you didn't knew existed until I pointed it out? Your narrative has been all over the shop because you don't have any evidence and is just an opinion based on your "feeling". Not once have you provided any evidence for me to even discard.

Edit: You also you say I discard "evidence" but what does it say about you when you discard anything that disproves you and then go on the above attack? One example you ask what would've happened if he was given time off to rest his heel injury and when I point out that he was given a block of 3 matches off you dismiss that as not enough - THAT'S DISCARDING EVIDENCE

Not once have I said that I don't want Hanners to come back to full fitness, so you are drawing a very long bow here. I'm commenting on the posts made by RUNVS and the ideas that he is peddling about Hanners and the fact you can't tell the difference between dismissing a persons ideas and someones opinion on a player is on you, not me.

Last edited:
Where does anyone begrudge Hannebery getting back to full fitness?

Needed it so much that he lasted two matches before re-injuring himself and thus missed another large block of matches. Such great management clearly
Because St Kilda gave him 10 months off that's why.

Dr RUNVS must be listened to on this. All future injuries must ensure 10 months bed rest as best practice because St Kilda did it.

Pretty churlish, I would have thought.

After being butchered in the 2016GF, Hanners played two more seasons with us. There was no explanation for his form other than chronic injury. There is no evidence that we tried to get him right in a manner, but plenty we kept playing a cooked player.

Like many others I thought it was smart of our Club to offload his contract. I feel less than ordinary about that.

Instead of cooking him even further, Richo (incompetent sacked coach) took the view Hanners' body needed to be rebuilt. Hopefully the Saints have done that for the fella's health and helped restore for him the sheer joy of playing.

No doubt Richo will disappear into the historical dust of failed coaches. I hope and expect Hanners will have cause to remember him with appreciation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After being butchered in the 2016GF, Hanners played two more seasons with us. There was no explanation for his form other than chronic injury. There is no evidence that we tried to get him right in a manner, but plenty we kept playing a cooked player.

Like many others I thought it was smart of our Club to offload his contract. I feel less than ordinary about that.

Instead of cooking him even further, Richo (incompetent sacked coach) took the view Hanners' body needed to be rebuilt. Hopefully the Saints have done that for the fella's health and helped restore for him the sheer joy of playing.

No doubt Richo will disappear into the historical dust of failed coaches. I hope and expect Hanners will have cause to remember him with appreciation.

Keep viewing to see what people are posting loving or hating on Longmire ,you seem to be on some other tangent.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Keep viewing to see what people are posting loving or hating on Longmire ,you seem to be on some other tangent.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oh well! Hands up Gun Island. I plead guilty! Went down a rabbit hole - worse of my own making - started when I started contrasting my thoughts about different approaches taken some coaches.

Maybe read the comments in the context they're written and in what they are in response to.

Edit: Here you go, to save you the effort
We rested him (again you ignoring evidence) and RUNVS with stupid claims. Maybe, just maybe I'm not the churlish one here

Rested?... Not long enough...I am certain you were equally pained to see a great clubman and player reduced to what he became in his last two years. If St Kilda - be it five or ten months, I dont care, can help him play good footy again I will be happy.

Good thing for you if you agree with that. If so, I am happy to withdraw the churlish remark.

I often think of situations which happened and I think about what I should have said rather what I did say. The argument goes back and forth (at this point completely imaginary) and I get worked up about this argument (again the one in my head which never happened). I then remember (remind myself) none of this ever happened and I'm getting worked up on nothing.

Some of you need to remind yourselves none of what you're saying happened, it only happened in your head

Go to work all day and nothings changed with Robbie replying to whomever .
If I can get back to Longmire , I hope he gets a flag , but I didn't want him to continue after next year.

Let me get the discussion back on topic for you Bedders.

Have I ever mentioned on here how much I love Longmire's coaching & ability to educate the up & coming players?
Over to you guys now.
See ya!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back