Coach John Longmire - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

I personally think you are wrong. We are desperate for good kickers and that is what Newman is.
doesn't matter now. He left one year ago. Can we move on? This thread is about Horse, not a player that plays fo carlton

and about how Horse has made some really bad list decisions in recent years in Hannebery, Newman and especially Mitchell.
name a coach that hasn't made bad decisions.. or.. name a coach that throughout his 10 or so year career has won a flag and only missed finals once

Seeing Longmire's animated reactions in the box on Friday was fantastic.

Goes to show that when we have nothing to play for, half of our list out, and a bunch of kids running around, the standards are still being driven even now.

It would be easy for the players, at the end of a long year, undoubtedly sore and tired, to slacken a bit during the week and on game day, but when you see your coach show up and expect the same from you in round 22 in a dead rubber game v one of the worst sides as he would if we were playing for a spot in the finals is fantastic.

What separates the good clubs from the great clubs imo.

name a coach that hasn't made bad decisions.. or.. name a coach that throughout his 10 or so year career has won a flag and only missed finals once

How many coaches can you name that gave away a future Brownlow medalist for biscuits? It wasn't like we had Mitchell for one year either, and it wasn't like there were not tonnes of Swans supporters who saw Mitchell's value and the player he could become. For some reason though Longmire didn't.

How many coaches can you name that gave away a future Brownlow medalist for biscuits? It wasn't like we had Mitchell for one year either, and it wasn't like there were not tonnes of Swans supporters who saw Mitchell's value and the player he could become. For some reason though Longmire didn't.

Longmire is the only afl coach to have lance Franklin and not win premierships with him

Chris Scott

Seeing Longmire's animated reactions in the box on Friday was fantastic.

Goes to show that when we have nothing to play for, half of our list out, and a bunch of kids running around, the standards are still being driven even now.

It would be easy for the players, at the end of a long year, undoubtedly sore and tired, to slacken a bit during the week and on game day, but when you see your coach show up and expect the same from you in round 22 in a dead rubber game v one of the worst sides as he would if we were playing for a spot in the finals is fantastic.

What separates the good clubs from the great clubs imo.

Brad Scott must be the best coach ever he was always animated

A mid first round draft pick is biscuits now is it? He probably held a little more value (maybe 5-6 picks higher) than that at the point he was traded but “biscuits” is a bit ridiculous, like most of this debate.

Longmire is the only afl coach to have lance Franklin and not win premierships with him
Think it was 2015 (not sure) The Swans had a great chance at a flag except Buddy didn't play that finals series due to mental health reasons.
2016 - we were the best team that year but we lost the granny - that wasn't Horses fault

Think it was 2015 (not sure) The Swans had a great chance at a flag except Buddy didn't play that finals series due to mental health reasons.
2016 - we were the best team that year but we lost the granny - that wasn't Horses fault

So that’s not his fault but he can celebrate 2012 as an achievement

That’s what shits me he gets all the credit with some and no blame when he fails

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So that’s not his fault but he can celebrate 2012 as an achievement

That’s what s**ts me he gets all the credit with some and no blame when he fails

2014 was a failure across all levels. Not because we didn’t win, clearly the Hawks were a formidable opponent, but because of the terrible grand final performance. The players did not appear mentally prepared and that’s a failure of everyone.

2016 was not a failure. Half of the “experts” predicted us to miss the 8 or towards the lower end of the 8. From memory most here did not expect us to be right in the mix. The players performed in the Grand Final overall. Unfortunately injuries in the lead up to, and during the game, effected the team selection. It could be argued we could have selected other players instead of a couple that were returning from injury but that’s a bit of crystal balling as to whether the replacements would have been effective. In all likihood Buddy and Hanners don’t go down and we win.

Since then we’ve been turning over the list with few expecting us to compete for premierships.

2014 was a failure across all levels. Not because we didn’t win, clearly the Hawks were a formidable opponent, but because of the terrible grand final performance. The players did not appear mentally prepared and that’s a failure of everyone.

2016 was not a failure. Half of the “experts” predicted us to miss the 8 or towards the lower end of the 8. From memory most here did not expect us to be right in the mix. The players performed in the Grand Final overall. Unfortunately injuries in the lead up to, and during the game, effected the team selection. It could be argued we could have selected other players instead of a couple that were returning from injury but that’s a bit of crystal balling as to whether the replacements would have been effective. In all likihood Buddy and Hanners don’t go down and we win.

Since then we’ve been turning over the list with few expecting us to compete for premierships.
Marsh was good in the Prelim and should have stayed in over Macca who was unfit and selfish and I know that to be a fact.

Marsh was good in the Prelim and should have stayed in over Macca who was unfit and selfish and I know that to be a fact.

Marsh had 8 disposals (3 kicks), 1 Mark. 0 r50 and 0i50 in the prelim.... hardly numbers that suggest he would be even part of the difference.

As for McVeigh, he played 8 of the last 9 games only missing the prelim. In the Grand Final he had 14 disposals (8 kicks), 2 Marks, 3r50, 1 i50.

Only once did Marsh have better numbers than that in his 7 games for the year and that was in the mauling of Richmond in r23.

So whilst you may or may not be factual about McVeigh being unfit and selfish, it is incredibly doubtful that Marsh would have had more of an impact.

Marsh had 8 disposals (3 kicks), 1 Mark. 0 r50 and 0i50 in the prelim.... hardly numbers that suggest he would be even part of the difference.

As for McVeigh, he played 8 of the last 9 games only missing the prelim. In the Grand Final he had 14 disposals (8 kicks), 2 Marks, 3r50, 1 i50.

Only once did Marsh have better numbers than that in his 7 games for the year and that was in the mauling of Richmond in r23.

So whilst you may or may not be factual about McVeigh being unfit and selfish, it is incredibly doubtful that Marsh would have had more of an impact.

and he played on Caleb Daniel with most people thinking McVeigh beat him on the day. The "McVeigh played unfit and it cost us" line doesn't add up. Mills was the wrong inclusion over Marsh

Caleb Daniel: 4
Blanketed by McVeigh early and had no influence at all in the first half, but worked his way into the game. 11 kicks from 14 disposals.

CALEB DANIEL 4
Unfortunately for Caleb the helmet sticks out like Sid’s you know what’s when you’re having a quiet game. McVeigh all over him.

Calen Daniel - 4.5
Might have been his poorest game of the season but he won't care with a premiership medal.

and he played on Caleb Daniel with most people thinking McVeigh beat him on the day. The "McVeigh played unfit and it cost us" line doesn't add up. Mills was the wrong inclusion over Marsh

Mills is probably a better match for Marsh. But again it is crystal balling and is not guaranteed to have been the difference. Mills had 15 disposals, 3 Marks and 5 tackles which on paper is still better than what Marsh produced the week prior and most of the season (and Marsh didn’t once get over 2 tackles in a game for his entire career with us, something Mills did 8 times across his first season of AFL).

It just wasn’t to be for us that year. The stars aligned for them and they didn’t for us. For me that is all there is to it.

Certainly losing that Grand Final was imo not a failure of anyone individually.

Mills is probably a better match for Marsh. But again it is crystal balling and is not guaranteed to have been the difference. Mills had 15 disposals, 3 Marks and 5 tackles which on paper is still better than what Marsh produced the week prior and most of the season (and Marsh didn’t once get over 2 tackles in a game for his entire career with us, something Mills did 8 times across his first season of AFL).

It just wasn’t to be for us that year. The stars aligned for them and they didn’t for us. For me that is all there is to it.

Certainly losing that Grand Final was imo not a failure of anyone individually.

I think really the only selection question was Tippett over Nankervis. But even that would be crystal balling.

A little less bad luck with injury and a little fair mindedness from the umpires and we win that flag comfortably.

A mid first round draft pick is biscuits now is it? He probably held a little more value (maybe 5-6 picks higher) than that at the point he was traded but “biscuits” is a bit ridiculous, like most of this debate.

Pick 14 is not mid first round. It is late first round, and it is biscuits considering how good Mitchell is.

Pick 14 is not mid first round. It is late first round, and it is biscuits considering how good Mitchell is.

Out of contract player selects destination, won’t be traded anywhere else. Destination says we will offer X. No one else can bid as player won’t go there.

Aside from revising decisions from the past, which they obviously can’t do, or having salary cap space, which didn’t exist... what exactly were you expecting the club to do?

You have done this to death mate.
Maybe it’s time to move on???

The "McVeigh played unfit and it cost us" line doesn't add up. Mills was the wrong inclusion over Marsh
200% correct Robbie.
I have always said this.
An 18 year old in his first season has no place in a GF after not playing for 5 weeks due to a hamstring injury.
My biggest criticism of our coaches/selectors for that GF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back