Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
I like Longmire, I am glad he is our coach. I am also not someone who think Mills can't be a perfectly good (or great) half back flanker.

But this quote from today really drives me up the wall.

He's a very good defender and he could be a very good midfielder – I'm sure of it – but when you're looking at the balance of the team … (you've) got to replace him with a player you know can do the same thing in that previous role

We are being absolutely slaughtered in the midfield every week, and have been for 3 years, it is depressing to think we are holding potentially good players out of the midfield because we think it might weaken our defence.
He is our second best & most consistent defender after Rampe.

melbournehammer

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Our defence will never be good if our midfield continues to be sh*t. They open the defenders up to absolute carnage on a weekly basis.

I think this is obvious and true. But part of the obvious nature of it is that everything has coincided with the absence of competitive ruckmen. The inside game relies on a ruck that either wins or can do damage. mummy, tippett, nankervis all did this one way or another. we have been unable to effectively recruit that big body to complete the midfield for all of sinclairs lion heartedness

so i think the coaching since 2017 has been trying to nullify opposition dominance around the ball but we dont have the ben matthews jared crouch type players so we are constantly punished on the inside.

one thing which is also affecting us is that longmire tends to defend from the back - its man on man with usually a spare. we usually have tried to move the ball forwards by having speedy half backs. modern footy involves zones of defenders all trying to swarm forwards to create a turnover in the front half - we really arent set up to do that. so our ability to move the ball from half back forwards goes against the modern trend and really requires super precise kicking from half back absent speed to break through zones. there is no ahmed saad on our list so we are relying on rampe and dawson and mills hitting a precise kick to a small forward - which if it fails causes us trouble because we are then losing the stoppage

we could be lucky though - clarko's comments might just suit our side by making it less congested because we arent really suited by congestion anymore...

I think this is obvious and true. But part of the obvious nature of it is that everything has coincided with the absence of competitive ruckmen. The inside game relies on a ruck that either wins or can do damage. mummy, tippett, nankervis all did this one way or another. we have been unable to effectively recruit that big body to complete the midfield for all of sinclairs lion heartedness

so i think the coaching since 2017 has been trying to nullify opposition dominance around the ball but we dont have the ben matthews jared crouch type players so we are constantly punished on the inside.

one thing which is also affecting us is that longmire tends to defend from the back - its man on man with usually a spare. we usually have tried to move the ball forwards by having speedy half backs. modern footy involves zones of defenders all trying to swarm forwards to create a turnover in the front half - we really arent set up to do that. so our ability to move the ball from half back forwards goes against the modern trend and really requires super precise kicking from half back absent speed to break through zones. there is no ahmed saad on our list so we are relying on rampe and dawson and mills hitting a precise kick to a small forward - which if it fails causes us trouble because we are then losing the stoppage

we could be lucky though - clarko's comments might just suit our side by making it less congested because we arent really suited by congestion anymore...

I'm not buying it. Our mids get plenty of opportunities, they just squander it.

Let’s be real between a few injuries age and talent horse is shuffling deck chairs around with this list at the moment

Doesn’t matter who the coach is really

Let’s be real between a few injuries age and talent horse is shuffling deck chairs around with this list at the moment

When you lose your 2 main tall forwards, your main ruck, your new backman who looked promising, it would be tough for anyone

Agree. His second half of last week basically proved that. He was less interested in preserving the respectable margin (for once) in favour of switching up the roles of what felt like a third of the team.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I like Longmire, I am glad he is our coach. I am also not someone who think Mills can't be a perfectly good (or great) half back flanker.

But this quote from today really drives me up the wall.

He's a very good defender and he could be a very good midfielder – I'm sure of it – but when you're looking at the balance of the team … (you've) got to replace him with a player you know can do the same thing in that previous role

We are being absolutely slaughtered in the midfield every week, and have been for 3 years, it is depressing to think we are holding potentially good players out of the midfield because we think it might weaken our defence.

and the problem here is is goes to Longmire's mindset. The best form of defence is to be attacking, as then our defence won't be under pressure, but Longmire's natural instinct is the best form of defence is defence. He rates defence as more important than our midfield.

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Harley was commentating in 2014 and wasn’t CEO in 16

Wether he has done a good job or not, he hasn’t been CEO for 2 Tilts at a flag , we haven’t played a final with him as CEO

But wether CEO performance is linked to finals is questionable
Yeah thats true, organisational culture though 100% is.

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Harley was commentating in 2014 and wasn’t CEO in 16

Wether he has done a good job or not, he hasn’t been CEO for 2 Tilts at a flag , we haven’t played a final with him as CEO
Good point. He came to us at the end of 2014 as GM when we got the trade ban and we went to the GF and multiple final series after. That's good general managing.

But wether CEO performance is linked to finals is questionable
If we're going on current positions, they've both been in their jobs for less than two years. What ARE they being judged on?

Good point. He came to us at the end of 2014 as GM when we got the trade ban and we went to the GF and multiple final series after. That's good general managing.

If we're going on current positions, they've both been in their jobs for less than two years. What ARE they being judged on?

I wasn’t judging him, all we get of Harley is the media stuff , he speaks well, it’s hard enough to judge the coach and the list management as a fan/media member /outsider

Imo I guess all we have is the general stability of the club and as you say he’s been in their less than 2 years, faced a side on the downhill, the biggest contract spike of a top player now injured (that he didn’t sign) tail end of a trade ban and now covid , I think I’ll make some sort of judgement in 5-6 years of work if then.

But judging the CEO, imo we may as well discuss the swans accounting team from the outside and the man who mows the lawns, how can we know

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah thats true, organisational culture though 100% is.

Again from the outside the org culture seems fine

I’ve found Tom Harley a personable switched on type in very limited interactions

We have good sponsorships? Culture staff retention? He secured the coach long term wether he right or not he has given stability there

I mean Brian Cook by all reports is a great CEO, ditto Andrew Ireland was but 90% of their role is invisible to fans

Anyone else's background on these forums gone totally black? Annoying as hell, anyway to get rid of it. White background was way easier to read with.

Push the lightning bolt or lightbulb up the top

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
But judging the CEO, imo we may as well discuss the swans accounting team from the outside and the man who mows the lawns, how can we know
Fully agree. I get baffled when I read about back office stuff being shat on. I don't think anyone would even know what the responsibilities are yet there are really strong opinions on them.

As the commentators have pointed out a number of times over the last few weeks, we have basically never been playing a loose man behind the ball or any sort of zonal defence, we have been pretty consistently six backs on six forwards with six forwards up against six backs all year.

So... yeah, you are wrong.
aahhhhh except when the opposition throw a loose man back in defence....we then have 6 on 7.

So....yeah, maybe you misundertand.

Troystenvic

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
We are clearly a bottom 2 side this season and have been in decline for a couple of seasons now. If anyone on this board thinks this is not Horses fault then they have more issues than our footy club. Horse has to go. I'll even start a Go Fund Me to pay him out. Surely now the board has to answer some tough questions in public

Back