Player Watch John Noble

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it’s just the two of us who aren’t fans.
Mmm, I see where you're coming from but I honestly expected us to pass. Like Ed i thought the pressing need was a KPD but my research showed there wasn't much talent about, thought we'd back in Goldsack and co if needed.

So to your point. If this was a National draft pick inside 3 rounds I wouldn't be thrilled but, as somewhat of a free hit, I kind of like it. He's quick and has good disposal on both sides. God knows we need those traits in our midfield. Even if he never plays it's worth a try. The only concern now is obviously the salary cap.

What does it say as I can't get pass the Paywall

West Adelaide wingman John Noble emphasises the word perseverance when he chats about the challenging path he has had to confront with his twin brother Mark.
Born “very, very” premature, the boys have had to jump, climb and crawl over numerous hurdles ever since medication was necessary just to keep them alive as “quite sick” babies.
The treatment had a side effect, causing asthma and the boys had trouble breathing as youngsters. That put a halt to the medication and slowed their growth.
Then came the legacy of their premature birth and the frustrations of their development being behind kids of the same age. As a 16-year old, Mark says their physique was more closely aligned to someone of 15, constantly being told they were too small.
“We were always overlooked as juniors,” said Mark, whose role at South Adelaide mirrors John’s at the Bloods. “It was not in our control, but we were always a year and a bit behind in our development.

similars

“We were always looked over as being too small, a bit behind with our footy development as well. It was frustrating.
“Everyone’s journey is different. We had a lot of setbacks and just tried to fight it out, that is the way we have been brought up.
“We were told from 21 we would catch up and this year is the most important so far. We are starting to see all the hard work pay off which is nice.”
Mark and John Noble have emerged as class acts in the SANFL and have nominated for the AFL mid-season draft. Picture: Keryn Stevens
Perseverance is a good word. The 22-year old Noble siblings, sons of former Adelaide head of football David, have refused to be swayed from their dreams and ambitions and have never deviated from their mission to overcome their adversities to build careers of tremendous substance.
On Wednesday, they were nominated for the AFL mid-season draft medical screening in Melbourne. It means there has been interest from AFL clubs, who had to put forward their names.
How the draft on Monday night turns out is a mystery. There has been little, if any, interaction with clubs.
However, the fact their names are on the draft list is a reflection of their character and a reluctance to find short cuts in their search to discover their potential.
“To not be selected for any of those junior pathways was hard,” John said. “We just kept at it and perseverance has helped in our journey.
“I feel like I’m starting to understand my game.”
Growing maturity has also been a keen ingredient in their emergence as quality acts in the SANFL, while John also gave the AFL scouts another glimpse of his talents in the state victory over the WAFL in Perth.
That rising maturity was no more evident than the round six contest at Noarlunga Oval when the Panthers rescued a sloppy first half to over run the Bloods. A quick handshake and “chat later” was their brief engagement immediately after the final siren.

John and Mark had always been extremely competitive. But that chat later meant a review of the game and their performances, toning down those competitive instincts to become allies in their development.
“This year we have been helping each other a lot,” Mark said. “We review games together and are constantly talking and watching vision. After that game we sat down that night and spoke about what we did well and didn’t do well.
“We are definitely more mature and have done a lot of growing up in the past 18 months. Getting our footy and life balance together, it helps when everything off field is going really well for each other and then on field starts taking care of itself.
“Definitely our relationship has grown and that is a maturity aspect And now we are seeing that come through with our footy as well.”
The pair played at the Bloods for four seasons before Mark switched to the Panthers last season hoping to expand his opportunities.
While it was a tough call to move clubs, his game has flourished at Noarlunga and he claims the Panthers have been amazing “for me”.
“Everything we did through the juniors was a good recipe for what we are putting together now,” Mark said. “We feel more confident with our ability and that is paying off on the park.
“The draft is only noise at this stage, I’ll just focus on my footy and whatever happens happens.”

I don't think that's really true. His positioning and decision-making are pretty good, and his hands at ground level are pretty good too. Now, if he could just improve his disposals and awareness we'd have a seriously great player.

Well he finds space so I guess that's good positioning. And I'd say his ground ball handling can oscillate between clean and unbelievably fumbly.

Curious as to why the club with the deepest midfield in the AFL picked up another midfielder in the mid season draft.

In a season where once again, half our defensive stocks are depleted.

o_O
No real defenders in the mix, at our pick.

More speed and spread from the contest is one thing required to overcome West Coast.

A player who can impact this season.

If Pickett ticks both boxes he'll do me.

Said that back in April.

Missed on Pickett but Noble is a type we can certainly use IMO so I totally support the direction we have taken with his pick.

Only time will tell if he can make the grade but he shows promise in his highlights and the intoxicating combination of speed and endurance Hine has mentioned gives him a chance.

While he'll potentially play a different role I think we've looked to gain back what we liked and then lost in Murray.

His closing speed to make that tackle was exciting, wonder if they are looking at him for the Murray role down back?

If he has endurance AND speed and they mean that legitimately, I'd be looking for him to kick Phillips out of the side post haste because he already has one thing on him.

I doubt this kid's disposal could be worse than Phillips'.

Phillips is a good player re.. I don't have an issue with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I don't think any of us expected that!

Initial thoughts...

1. A bit of speed and good disposal by foot are two things our squad needs.

2. Surprised we went with another sub-six footer, which indicates they rated his abilities where perhaps others haven't. Clearly not needs-based. I'm coming around to the best available line of thinking, but I'd still like one or two more KPPs.

3. Good to see a John back on the list!

West Adelaide wingman John Noble emphasises the word perseverance when he chats about the challenging path he has had to confront with his twin brother Mark.
Born “very, very” premature, the boys have had to jump, climb and crawl over numerous hurdles ever since medication was necessary just to keep them alive as “quite sick” babies.
The treatment had a side effect, causing asthma and the boys had trouble breathing as youngsters. That put a halt to the medication and slowed their growth.
Then came the legacy of their premature birth and the frustrations of their development being behind kids of the same age. As a 16-year old, Mark says their physique was more closely aligned to someone of 15, constantly being told they were too small.
“We were always overlooked as juniors,” said Mark, whose role at South Adelaide mirrors John’s at the Bloods. “It was not in our control, but we were always a year and a bit behind in our development.

similars

“We were always looked over as being too small, a bit behind with our footy development as well. It was frustrating.
“Everyone’s journey is different. We had a lot of setbacks and just tried to fight it out, that is the way we have been brought up.
“We were told from 21 we would catch up and this year is the most important so far. We are starting to see all the hard work pay off which is nice.”
Mark and John Noble have emerged as class acts in the SANFL and have nominated for the AFL mid-season draft. Picture: Keryn Stevens
Perseverance is a good word. The 22-year old Noble siblings, sons of former Adelaide head of football David, have refused to be swayed from their dreams and ambitions and have never deviated from their mission to overcome their adversities to build careers of tremendous substance.
On Wednesday, they were nominated for the AFL mid-season draft medical screening in Melbourne. It means there has been interest from AFL clubs, who had to put forward their names.
How the draft on Monday night turns out is a mystery. There has been little, if any, interaction with clubs.
However, the fact their names are on the draft list is a reflection of their character and a reluctance to find short cuts in their search to discover their potential.
“To not be selected for any of those junior pathways was hard,” John said. “We just kept at it and perseverance has helped in our journey.
“I feel like I’m starting to understand my game.”
Growing maturity has also been a keen ingredient in their emergence as quality acts in the SANFL, while John also gave the AFL scouts another glimpse of his talents in the state victory over the WAFL in Perth.
That rising maturity was no more evident than the round six contest at Noarlunga Oval when the Panthers rescued a sloppy first half to over run the Bloods. A quick handshake and “chat later” was their brief engagement immediately after the final siren.

John and Mark had always been extremely competitive. But that chat later meant a review of the game and their performances, toning down those competitive instincts to become allies in their development.
“This year we have been helping each other a lot,” Mark said. “We review games together and are constantly talking and watching vision. After that game we sat down that night and spoke about what we did well and didn’t do well.
“We are definitely more mature and have done a lot of growing up in the past 18 months. Getting our footy and life balance together, it helps when everything off field is going really well for each other and then on field starts taking care of itself.
“Definitely our relationship has grown and that is a maturity aspect And now we are seeing that come through with our footy as well.”
The pair played at the Bloods for four seasons before Mark switched to the Panthers last season hoping to expand his opportunities.
While it was a tough call to move clubs, his game has flourished at Noarlunga and he claims the Panthers have been amazing “for me”.
“Everything we did through the juniors was a good recipe for what we are putting together now,” Mark said. “We feel more confident with our ability and that is paying off on the park.
“The draft is only noise at this stage, I’ll just focus on my footy and whatever happens happens.”

Thanks Saintly Viewed

Hope he proves me wrong but Iam not thrilled by this pick. We needed a defender.

Guess we rated no talls to come in and Back Up Straight Away.

We need more Players with Pace(A Need) and he looks like to have that.

Hine said they looked at who they had ranked around the 30-40 range for November who might be available Noble was the only one. Son of David Noble

It is needs based tho. We need a quick, good runner more than we need a tall.

I'd prefer we'd looked for this type of player rather than trading for Beams but at least we acknowledge here that there is a gap that needs addressing, especially since losing Murray.

If he has endurance AND speed and they mean that legitimately, I'd be looking for him to kick Phillips out of the side post haste because he already has one thing on him.

I doubt this kid's disposal could be worse than Phillips'.

You really are a negative supporter, aren't you? Tom Phillips has some things to work on, but given his diligence in his career so far, I'll back him in. The guy is 23 and runs all day. Yeah he may not be as tough as nails and may have some skill deficiencies, but where is the credit for a guy who runs his guts out every week? It's hard to run when you feel like you have nothing left, this guy does it every week. It may not be the purest form of football toughness, but it's definitely tough to me.

Hine said they looked at who they had ranked around the 30-40 range for November who might be available Noble was the only one. Son of David Noble

That good move then as then we did not have to Worry about him being there and we can use that Pick on a Kid or even trade it

Well I don't think any of us expected that!

Initial thoughts...

1. A bit of speed and good disposal by foot are two things our squad needs.

2. Surprised we went with another sub-six footer, which indicates they rated his abilities where perhaps others haven't. Clearly not needs-based. I'm coming around to the best available line of thinking, but I'd still like one or two more KPPs.

3. Good to see a John back on the list!

Here`s little Johnny be good be good be good Johnny I only like dreaming all day long, when no one is running, Welcome to Collingwood young man , I can sense you will give your all to the Mighty Black and White,, Are you gonna kick the winning goal Johnny ? yep yep

Remove this Banner Ad

Back