Player Watch John Noble

Remove this Banner Ad

its more than that. they have continued to train and play footy after school and the juniors. You can see them performing against men. They know the disappointment of not making afl lists and yet they continue to pursue their dream.

I could write an essay on this. What is stopping clubs is the arrogance that they can judge a players worth at 18. The silly methods of judging a players character by assessing their parents and all that crap. Why not see the players around a club and doing the training and doing the living as an adult and all the other stuff.

I understand that the best talent is obvious and you dont have to wait until they're 23. However, think of the hit and misses of the 5th rounders and tell me that the recruiting staff are not guessing.

And then you wonder why in the world did it take so long to draft Mihocek. It is just ridiculous. THey throw a list position to a wet nosed teen who can hardly wipe his own arse but its too precious to offer to a guy like Mihocek?

And I know I've said this before but what value are those irish guys? And I wont say anymore about that crap. Let derek have his world tours and his demi god status in ireland....geez

I want the club to win premierships. I'm not interested in it catering to egos.

So lets go back to bagging little johnny noble for actually trying his guts out and improving before our eyes. Who knows if he would stay on the list of a team that is winning premierships. However, I know that there are at least 15 guys on the list who would be out the door before him.

well said. Biggest issue with Junior sports. Unless you are an absolute freak , you can still get in on who you know and who is pulling the strings. Seen it time and time again in my nieces sports. Who are starting to get to the pointy end of Junior sports in terms of level and age.

Sports politics is the worst.

I never understood the bagging of him to be honest. He has elite pace and actually uses it, is a very good kick and considering the way he plays the game, which is full bore 99% of the time, he’s a very good decision maker.

I think he’s a bit unfashionable looking, and maybe lacks a bit one-on-one, but geez so do Pendlebury and Nicky D so he’s not Robinson Crusoe there.

If we could jag another MSD who fills a role like Noble has we’d have done superbly.

What a turn of the worm. Suddenly a player that everyone bagged is one of our best. Perhaps the recruiters and selectors can be credited with seeing what was there and persevering with him over the sledging from the outer.
I was on board the Noble train all along. Never understood the hate. Even when he made mistakes he was getting his hands on the pill and always trying to be creative and attacking.

I never understood the bagging of him to be honest. He has elite pace and actually uses it, is a very good kick and considering the way he plays the game, which is full bore 99% of the time, he’s a very good decision maker.

I think he’s a bit unfashionable looking, and maybe lacks a bit one-on-one
This is where I think there has been a significant improvement.

OK he is never going to be some inside beast but:

2020 Noble was a weak tackle, the number of broken and insipid tackles he made were infuriating. 2022 Noble is tackling ferociously with real aggression and intent

2020 Noble was very weak overhead. That was horribly exploited by Geelong in that final. 2022 Noble took a ripping overhead mark backing back while Lynch was coming the other way. 2022 Noble backing back, made a big leap in the goal square to thump the ball through for a behind.

In short I think his hardness and defensive work has improved out of sight...

The point is, not that he has improved, he has by quite a lot, but that the recruiters and selectors saw this in him from the start and were prepared to let him develop, while we outsiders expected him to star from the first game or be delisted. Why can we not see that for every Nick Daicos therre are 50 John Nobles who have to put in years before their abilities mature. We have to allow our players time to become whatever it is they can, rather than relentlessly bagging them while they are putting in the hard yards. I notice that even Madgen is getting a little bit of credit for what he has achieved, but he had to wear a truckload of criticism before he reached this point. (In Madgen's case, I have to own up to being a critic)

The point is, not that he has improved, he has by quite a lot, but that the recruiters and selectors saw this in him from the start and were prepared to let him develop, while we outsiders expected him to star from the first game or be delisted. Why can we not see that for every Nick Daicos therre are 50 John Nobles who have to put in years before their abilities mature. We have to allow our players time to become whatever it is they can, rather than relentlessly bagging them while they are putting in the hard yards. I notice that even Madgen is getting a little bit of credit for what he has achieved, but he had to wear a truckload of criticism before he reached this point. (In Madgen's case, I have to own up to being a critic)

Excellent post :thumbsu:

To add further support to your point, Ben Johnson was not a fan favorite and arguably only started to shine after his teammates learned to mark helicopters. :)

So Stevo denied pissing in his drink, or Nob’s denied drinking piss. Both equally strong denials of course…

Both have good reason to deny it, of course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

interesting when you think about methods of recruiting and how noble and mihocek was sourced from lower leagues...and then compare that with the success of the irish pathway. I have no idea why we dont try to take more mature players who know what it's like to struggle to get to the afl.

Neither Noble or Mihocek qualify as Cat B rookies being the super super obvious reason why we still look at potential Irish and recruits from other sports I guess.

I always liked him before either of you did. :tongueoutv1:

Garbage. You were blinded by Bear, unable or unwilling to see to luminescent brilliance of my dear John, forlornly clinging to the pipedreams of 2018 whilst I pledged myself to lord and Noble.

Neither Noble or Mihocek qualify as Cat B rookies being the super super obvious reason why we still look at potential Irish and recruits from other sports I guess.

well i suppose with that line of thinking, the club should put me on the cat b rookie list.... because i qualify... and i probably have a similar chance of getting of becoming a worthwhile footballer at the club...

as i've said before and others have other opinions, i dont rate the advantages of having irish guys in cat b spots. They are a lot of wasted effort and a distraction for the recruiting and coaching staff. They are disruptive and unpredictable.

Ironically we had a guy who used to recruit at adelaide - no prizes - who used to say that it was risky recruiting indigenous players......geez....did he ever have a word in derek's ear about the irish mob?

well i suppose with that line of thinking, the club should put me on the cat b rookie list.... because i qualify... and i probably have a similar chance of getting of becoming a worthwhile footballer at the club...

as i've said before and others have other opinions, i dont rate the advantages of having irish guys in cat b spots. They are a lot of wasted effort and a distraction for the recruiting and coaching staff. They are disruptive and unpredictable.

Ironically we had a guy who used to recruit at adelaide - no prizes - who used to say that it was risky recruiting indigenous players......geez....did he ever have a word in derek's ear about the irish mob?

Good on you, love the creative thinking and potential self sacrifice. Drop into the club. I’m sure they’ll be happy to put you through your paces to see how you measure up.

PS: You do have private health insurance don’t you? McCreery tackle practice rumoured to be your first test.

Good on you, love the creative thinking and potential self sacrifice. Drop into the club. I’m sure they’ll be happy to put you through your paces to see how you measure up.

PS: You do have private health insurance don’t you? McCreery tackle practice rumoured to be your first test.

i can drink like a fish too so it will be as like the irishmen never left....

To add further support to your point, Ben Johnson was not a fan favorite and arguably only started to shine after his teammates learned to mark helicopters. :)

I think Ben Johnson was a fan favourite after he kicked 3 in his first game...

Became a legend after the 2002 prelim for THAT tackle on Peter Burgoyne...

This is where I think there has been a significant improvement.

OK he is never going to be some inside beast but:

2020 Noble was a weak tackle, the number of broken and insipid tackles he made were infuriating. 2022 Noble is tackling ferociously with real aggression and intent

2020 Noble was very weak overhead. That was horribly exploited by Geelong in that final. 2022 Noble took a ripping overhead mark backing back while Lynch was coming the other way. 2022 Noble backing back, made a big leap in the goal square to thump the ball through for a behind.

In short I think his hardness and defensive work has improved out of sight...
I think also he is now looking for the longer attacking kick rather than receiving and then passing 15m.

Obviously a coach/game style directive which has really shown how effective he can be. He is one guy the coaches can rely on to execute their instruction

His kicking was unfairly maligned. He rarely missed goals when on the run or set shots and that is a rare quality in most Collingwood players. You could create a very impressive compilation of Benny's inspiring goals.

His kicking was unfairly maligned. He rarely missed goals when on the run or set shots and that is a rare quality in most Collingwood players. You could create a very impressive compilation of Benny's inspiring goals.

Fair point on Johno's kicking but even Malthouse would give him grief about the helicopters. :) Eddie would tease him about the Miami Vice - Don Johnson suits he'd roll up at the club with.

Collingwood blood through his veins, would love a beer with him.

Fair point on Johno's kicking but even Malthouse would give him grief about the helicopters. :) Eddie would tease him about the Miami Vice - Don Johnson suits he'd roll up at the club with.

Collingwood blood through his veins, would love a beer with him.

Attended the official wake at Crown after 2003 GF

At my table was a family friend who was an unmitigated booze hound

He bent Ben Johnson's ear for 15 minutes and Ben was lovely with him

Expect your company would be an upgrade for Ben

As long as you didn't get clingy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back