Player Watch John Noble

Remove this Banner Ad

They have the more raw talent but not the experience.

Most of them likely do but not all. I know some players who never made AFL but have played in u18 rep sides and made SANFL grade but either were 2 short, lacked work rate or got into too much off field strife so were not even looked at.

One player that was deemed to short iirc (174cm same as Cyril who went that years draft) was basically a better ball winning version of Jaimie Elliott (freak over head high mark but could also play midfield) he played for NSW u18 champs team had games of 35 disposals and kicked 3 goals Loccy Mcgregor.
Not a look in at even a rookie spot and he was a hard working clean skin. Him and Taylor walker played off in the local GF Walker kicked 9 for North Bulldogs and Loccy 10 goals down the other end as 16/17 yo for Central Magpies (basically wear pies kit).

Would regularly take speccys like that on rucks head from pure leap. Plenty of talent in non AFL players and freak athletes that dont get a look in for whatever the reasoning.

Thought we had more pressing needs like a state league mature age KPD as depth in case one of Moore or Roughead go down.

But turns out we also need more linebreaking speed, and Hine nailed it with Noble

Well I 1st thought the Same but Found out he had Speed and Used the Ball well I relised we lacked though Types. Especially after Murray Situation.

Watching him he actually Reminds me a bit of Treloar but better user of the Ball.

Tall might not been ready this Season to play AFL

Now its very hard to read snark and sarcasm over the interwebs but that first line reeks of it? <<---- Statement-ishy question.

If so I am not sure why you took offence mate? it is, what it is.

And yes you are probably right having more mature players run through the SANFL likely creates a better league overall. Rather then developing lots of 18/19 and 20yo filling half the VFL.

I misunderstood your post assuming mistakenly it was on topic and I replied accordingly.

I haven't seen this kid live and the VFL replays haven't actually shown us much about him, from those that have seen him, what can we expect?
Good presser from him. A journo said to him that it must be SURREAL :thumbsdown: and he dodged it. Sounds like the kid actually thinks before he speaks lol
Noble has the composure to think before he kicks when he has the space to do so too; it's been noticeable on occasion that he pauses slightly to pick a good option and he's delivered some nice passes in the twos. Not sure how the increased pace at AFL level will affect that brief pause to think.

From his VFL games he's played as a running half back where he's often utilised outside the contest, knocking up a lot of handball receives. Like Quaynor he's not afraid to take the game on, albeit Noble is probably more straight on relying on his pace rather than evasive agility. Excitingly he has similar jets to Stephenson.

John will become another twin that played for Collingwood.

Gavin Brown is a twin.

Wakelin another twin.

John will become another twin that played for Collingwood.

Gavin Brown is a twin.

Wakelin another twin.

I did not know Gavin Brother had a Twin Brother

I did not know Gavin Brother had a Twin Brother
You are right, he doesn’t have a twin brother. :p

His twin is a sister.

Yep.

I’m fascinated about footballers who are twins.

Just a quirky trivia thing.

I’ve never heard of triplet making an AFL team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most of them likely do but not all. I know some players who never made AFL but have played in u18 rep sides and made SANFL grade but either were 2 short, lacked work rate or got into too much off field strife so were not even looked at.

One player that was deemed to short iirc (174cm same as Cyril who went that years draft) was basically a better ball winning version of Jaimie Elliott (freak over head high mark but could also play midfield) he played for NSW u18 champs team had games of 35 disposals and kicked 3 goals Loccy Mcgregor.
Not a look in at even a rookie spot and he was a hard working clean skin. Him and Taylor walker played off in the local GF Walker kicked 9 for North Bulldogs and Loccy 10 goals down the other end as 16/17 yo for Central Magpies (basically wear pies kit).

Would regularly take speccys like that on rucks head from pure leap. Plenty of talent in non AFL players and freak athletes that dont get a look in for whatever the reasoning.

Where is he playing now/, great mark

You are right, he doesn’t have a twin brother. :p

His twin is a sister.

Yep.

I’m fascinated about footballers who are twins.

Just a quirky trivia thing.

I’ve never heard of triplet making an AFL team
the only triplets I can remember are the famous Brazilian triplets, back, crack and sack, those guys were good

Hey Loki thats a pretty obscure observation.... any relation to Loccy Mcgregor by chance? :think::tongueclosed:

Hopefully he can become a Saad type for us, will help us on the spread at least and hopefully can offer some linebreaking ability becoming another link in the chain.

Not having that wave of runners has hurt our ability to wheel and go with fast ball movement as the options just haven't presented. This then flows onto the struggles we see up foward plus our ability to push back to help defense leaving them a little exposed, luckily they've been pretty admirable down back.

Get our overlap game going once again should hopefully see those loopy hot air balloons Treloar has managed the past few games as he'd of had runners coming past giving him an option. Bringing him in at least shows we're trying to be more attacking which is a good start.

Hopefully the wet game on the already hard turf has the eagles on heavy legs, Friday cannot come any sooner hahaha.

Last edited:
Two debutantes in 2 weeks is a positive move and both sends a message to the borderline best 22 players and injects enthusiasm and hope into the teams. Everyone loves a first gamer. Both players add a bit speed and give us more scope to cover opposition smaller forwards. Good luck to the boy. My name is John but from an era when every second person was named John. John is now an unusual name for a young person. I hope he nails this opportunity

Hey Loki thats a pretty obscure observation.... any relation to Loccy Mcgregor by chance? :think::tongueclosed:

Nope and not even close to him, he was just so good a few of us used to go watch him play. He'd take weekly screamers very much as reliably as Howe and Elliott used to pre injury (did it in every league he played too, local, rep and SANFL), kick bags, would regularly beat opponents bigger then him and if they went small match up he'd have a field day. His u/18 champs games were as good as fellow draftees like Luke Breust, C.Rilioi, C.Bird and Walker among a slew of others but he didn't get a sniff I always wondered why and was told later it was height related reasons.

From a local perspective he had more natural talent then Walker but not the size. Walker was very one dimensional but very good at it, which was straight lead and mark type that could kick goals from 60m and sticky hands.

Anyway he is one of a few people I know some a bit older, some younger who had the talent to make it but never did I'm sure everyone probably knows one or 2 guys similar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back