Player Watch John Noble

Remove this Banner Ad

You haven't heard about our latest chainsaw injury?
That will be right, bet the club is going with one to two weeks injury. Typical

Need his speed in the side, would have thought an obvious replacement for Daics :(

I'd really like to get another look at him at senior level before finals. This week? His pace could be telling.

Does anyone else think he’d be of better use on the wing? He apparently has very good endurance in addition to his speed, why not use that running into our forward line? Mayne would probably be a steadier option in defence.

He was very shaky and in fact I’d be surprised if he holds his spot leading into finals.

Needs to really clean up that disposal because it doesn’t how fast you can run, if you cannot kick the footy, then it’s useless.

I’ve read some criticism of his game and I’m struggling with it TBH. Perhaps it’s because I didn’t watch the match live and knowing the result there’s less emotional investment in the replay? My feel is that the criticism is heightened because he’s yet to establish himself. Personally he was nowhere near as bad as Greenwood and Mayne ball in hand.

He had one questionable moment real early where he turned it over taking a 45 option on a short pass. I’m not sure it was the right option and the execution was poor, but other than that he was remarkably solid for a guy in his second game after a 6 week break from senior footy off the back of no pre-season.

For me if he backs that up v Essendon Aish doesn’t dislodge him and he books himself a finals spot.

I’ve read some criticism of his game and I’m struggling with it TBH. Perhaps it’s because I didn’t watch the match live and knowing the result there’s less emotional investment in the replay? My feel is that the criticism is heightened because he’s yet to establish himself. Personally he was nowhere near as bad as Greenwood and Mayne ball in hand.

He had one questionable moment real early where he turned it over taking a 45 option on a short pass. I’m not sure it was the right option and the execution was poor, but other than that he was remarkably solid for a guy in his second game after a 6 week break from senior footy off the back of no pre-season.

For me if he backs that up v Essendon Aish doesn’t dislodge him and he books himself a finals spot.

Think it'll come down to whether we value Aish's lock down ability and marking over Noble's dash and flair.

If Murray somehow survives it will be interesting to see these two compete for a spot. Murray is taller and better in the air but Noble is meant to have much better skills (Haven't seen them yet, still needs to adjust to AFL pace)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you're right to say issues with Nobles kicking is overstated however some criticism is warranted. His execution was a bit off and his kicking a bit slow. But he is adjusting to the pace of AFL and the game was pretty hot early on. I have concerns about how it'll hold up in finals with the extra heat.

I can't see where your criticism of Greenwoods kicking is coming from because his field kicking has been excellent since the move to defence. I reckon he relishes having the play ahead of him and that extra time. I've been a big critic of his field kicking from his time in midfield but I don't think there is an issue with it in defence.

Think it'll come down to whether we value Aish's lock down ability and marking over Noble's dash and flair.

Greenwood has overtaken Aish as the 6th negating small defender.
Greenwood isn't needed in the midfield with Wills/ Adams, give me Noble/Quaynor over 2 small defenders with no pace any day of the week.

Regardless of whether he plays finals this year or not, (I think Aish would be the preferred option at this point) Noble is one hell of a find and is going to be a very, very good footballer for Collingwood in seasons to come. Had a very impressive first half against the Crows and his rise to senior seleciton is all the more remarkable given the way he came to the club, (mid-season with no prior AFL experience).

I am a big wrap and certainly see a bright future for him at Magpieland.

He was very shaky and in fact I’d be surprised if he holds his spot leading into finals.

Needs to really clean up that disposal because it doesn’t how fast you can run, if you cannot kick the footy, then it’s useless.
Noble has played 2 games - too small a sample size to make a judgement on him.

As others have said, considering where he's come from he's done remarkably well.

Greenwood has overtaken Aish as the 6th negating small defender.
Greenwood isn't needed in the midfield with Wills/ Adams, give me Noble/Quaynor over 2 small defenders with no pace any day of the week.

Happy for you to think that but I'd prefer 2 small defenders who can actually defend an opponent. All the run and dash in the world does you zero good if the opposition are getting the footy and converting.

You can't pick Aish over Greenwood now, he won't even get a run in the magoos to get up to speed, Aish is just break in case of emergency from here

You can't pick Aish over Greenwood now, he won't even get a run in the magoos to get up to speed, Aish is just break in case of emergency from here

Make Greenwood a Tagger which we will need in the Finals

Agree with you there. I am in Europe so watched the replay on Watch AFL. Did not see these so called bad disposals. He had many of his kicks in high pressure situations, so of course your kicking efficiency is going to be down. Compared to a lot of other players in this team, his disposal is good in comparison.

I would rather him in the side than Aish. I don't get the love for Aish. Watched him play a SA GF as a 17 year old, then at Brisbane, then with us. I just don't see anything more than an average AFL player. Good overhead for his size is his best trait.

I don't think we can have 2 slow medium sized defenders in Aish and Scharenberg in the one defence, particularly at the MCG. Noble adds pace to the side and certainly knows how to find the ball.

Greenwood and Mayne are in the side for their grunt work and their reliability in a contest. They stay for mine.

I’ve read some criticism of his game and I’m struggling with it TBH.

He had a bunch of howlers, that’s for sure, especially in the first half ...

... but IMO nothing that a 2nd game player could be crucified for. In fact he did well to get to contests and help out ... and when he screwed up it didn’t slow down his pace at hitting the next contest.

It would have been a poor game from a 100 game player.

It was a good game from a 2nd game player ...

... but match committee probably don’t take that into account when it’s the pointy end of the season and players like DeGoey and Moore are coming back from injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back