Player Watch John Noble

I’ve read some criticism of his game and I’m struggling with it TBH. Perhaps it’s because I didn’t watch the match live and knowing the result there’s less emotional investment in the replay? My feel is that the criticism is heightened because he’s yet to establish himself. Personally he was nowhere near as bad as Greenwood and Mayne ball in hand.

He had one questionable moment real early where he turned it over taking a 45 option on a short pass. I’m not sure it was the right option and the execution was poor, but other than that he was remarkably solid for a guy in his second game after a 6 week break from senior footy off the back of no pre-season.

For me if he backs that up v Essendon Aish doesn’t dislodge him and he books himself a finals spot.
I rewatched the second half last night and honestly I’m struggling to see much at all that he did wrong. He was actually remarkably composed for a second gamer imo.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory

I do like the option of Greenwood as a tagger if a midfielder is getting away from us. That flexibility is handy. I don't think it should be the default option though.

I do like the option of Greenwood as a tagger if a midfielder is getting away from us. That flexibility is handy. I don't think it should be the default option though.
It’s fine as an option, but Greenwood in the middle weakens it imo, and his kicking when he doesn’t have time and space like he does coming out of defence is still terrible. Add to that, that he’s become a very good reliable small defender and I’m loathe to think about moving him up the ground.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
It’s fine as an option, but Greenwood in the middle weakens it imo, and his kicking when he doesn’t have time and space like he does coming out of defence is still terrible. Add to that, that he’s become a very good reliable small defender and I’m loathe to think about moving him up the ground.

Yep agree. I only like it as a break glass in case someone starts smacking us in there option.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
He never seems overwhelmed.

Has composure as a rule.

A bit of dash too.

HFF

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
FC Barcelona, Liverpool, FC Bayern
Had an very good game tonight.
Used the ball well, bounced off half back and surprisingly took some very strong marks- which I didn’t think he had.
Definitely put the selection pressure on for 1st week of finals.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
May 12, 2014
FNQ
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
Looking forward to both Noble and Quaynor distributing the footy and breaking lines off the half back line. IMO something CFC have missed for some time now, exciting times to come!

Tried to bite off more than he could chew early, but incrementally worked into the game nicely.

Has quite good hands over head for a little man, too.
That was my thoughts although did settle down during the game.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Certainly something to work with. Still like to see him slide further up the field.

ClaytonM

Premiership Player
Jan 20, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
If he plays the first final it is a hell of a ride in a few months. Playing on suburban ovals in Adelaide to playing in front of 80k on the biggest stage in about a dozen games.

Back